Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AM radio reception

AM radio reception

I live way out, about 50+ miles NW of Missoula Montana, at about 3000' elevation, east slope of the mountain. . I very much would like to listen to my favorite talk shows on the AM dial. Problem is , reception is terrible. Static is overwhelming.What can I do ? Is there a radio brand that will deliver decent reception ?

Boolit Buddy
    Reception will be very difficult.
    They might stream their broadcast on the internet.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I live way out, about 50+ miles NW of Missoula Montana, at about 3000' elevation, east slope of the mountain. . I very much would like to listen to my favorite talk shows on the AM dial. Problem is , reception is terrible. Static is overwhelming.What can I do ? Is there a radio brand that will deliver decent reception ?
    AM reception in summer is always bad, all the thunderstorm static... in winter is when I listen to long distance AM...

As mentioned try streaming it online, most radio stations do it now.

Boolit Master
    Highway 200 ?
    Drove thru there a few years ago, pretty sparse I must say. I liked the area.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I also love the AM talkers.
    I have good luck with the Bose Wave radio.

Here are a couple other hints.
    First, in case you didn't already know, the external antenna on your average radio is for FM and does nothing for AM reception. With rare exception, every AM radio has a internal antenna and the direction it is facing will effect reception, so try turning the radio in different directions. Some AM radio's get better reception due to having a better antenna. I've found the Terk antenna to do a great job at boosting AM reception, especially at night.

https://www.amazon.com/Terk-Indoor-A..._t3_B001KC579Q
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    If you have internet you can buy an echo dot and listen to over 60000 station for free. I have two control by voice.

Boolit Grand Master
    Google up "Crane Radios". They have a wide variety of radios and antennas. I, too, live in an area with poor AM reception and I use round antennae booster that is about the size of a dinner plate. You tune it to the station you want to listen to while it is in proximity to your radio. It's very sensitive to tuning and positioning and there is a small learning curve to get it operational. It does work once you find out how to find the sweet spot. Still, AM reception is sensitive to time of day, weather, sun spots, etc. Good luck.

Boolit Master

If you have internet, get a app called Radio Garden. It’s free. Basically it will let you listen to about any radio station in the world.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    The joy of being a RURAL! It's Montana! Get used to it!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Thanks so much to all the info. I will look into the advice given. I talked to some of the locals ( pictured ) but they could not help.Attachment 315523 Again thank you so much.Will check with someone more able to understand the info given.

I also live in a very rural area. Internet streaming is the way to go.

Moderator Emeritus

We are under a 50 foot hill and get no repeater traffic. If you're near Dixon then you have to get an antenna out of the river bottom. Internet is probably the way to go or wait until after dark.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Free app radiostationusa.fm they have am stations too. Select by city, state or market and whether you want news-talk, music, ethnic, or whatever.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    It’s amazing to me that there is broadband available in placed where there is poor AM radio reception.

I get perfect am reception using my cell phone; am radios are lousy for me...

Radio Garden ROCKS! Thanks for the tip!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    +1 on internet streaming. I♡Radio has an app that streams all their stations thru out the country. In my area they own most of the AM/FM stations. If you have an Alexa or similar device it can pick up the station as well.

Boolit Master

I started listening to AM radio as a kid of 9 years old at night a little am radio I won at a church carnival . I never slept well so would put in the earpiece and go though the dial finding stations from all over at night .
    Today I have several AM radio's one I use the most is a C. Crane pocket radio I have times of terrible interference L.E.D. lights is a big source but there is area wide static as well that usually but not always goes away during power outages . Just last week I was up and had terrible static mostly at the lower end on the AM dial I tracked it down a couple days later to the bug light on my from porch .

Like many have said the internet can be your friend listening to the radio I have a C. Crane internet radio I use day and night when my internet is on* and it works pretty well for me . I did have to get a second newer one because of changes and most stations went away using my first one . The thing I like about the internet radio is it does not put "JUNK" on my computer as some stations want to do . I have a few acres here and use a high power FM transmitter with it and also for TV sound . The transmitters have become more available in recent years this is a link to several types https://www.amazon.com/long-range-fm...fm+transmitter . I have the top $99 one for the TV and and older one for radio they transmit legally at .1 watt or depending on current politics not legally at a half watt . The one I use on radio when upstairs on low power travels 1 1/2 miles or further but only a 1/4 mile downstairs I have never put them at full power . They connect in two ways to any sound source some have bluetooth connection.
    I have hearing loss so I can listen with headphones from any FM radio receiver or from stereo in my workshop or by the pool or in car nearby.

* I have satellite internet and turn it off at night so if I get up I just use C. Crane radio to listen to distant stations . I am "UP NORTH in Michigan so there are really no local AM stations that come in well I can get 760 Detroit and sometimes 1300 Grand Rapids . Longer range stations that come in well at night are 1210 Philly, 1040 Iowa , 840 Kentucky, 650& 1510 Nashville , and many more .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Hook up an old car radio, and it gets better reception than regular radios. No idea why. Probably because you can rig a real serious antenna to it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast