Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Which Cavity gets filled first?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Far

58 57.43%
  • Near

21 20.79%
  • Either

22 21.78%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Cavity first Poll

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    what the h... is the importnance of this thread in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The intent was to initiate a conversation and document the discussion like any post. Even for the most mundane detail of casting that may help someone starting out and to satisfy my curiosity.

Apparently the secondary effect was to annoy folks like you with questions below your superior knowledge and intellect and compelling you to post a useless reply rather than either adding to the conversation or just moving along..

Boolit Master
    I got a few iron molds on clearance this summer - seems like Midway had to move items out during the off-season. The Saeco 383 I used last night required I alternate which cavity was filled first, or I could not get a sharp base in the near side cavity. I am going to take a stone to the parting line at the top of the blocks to see if improved venting eliminates the need to alternate.
    Lyman two-holers are so small that starting at the near side hole makes a mess of a sprue. You have to plan for lead to roll of the plate.
    Another thing I observed last night for better fill out: pulse the spout. I use a bottom pour pot and when the lead is just about to start running over, I pause for half a second and pulse the valve on & off. This builds up a very thick sprue that is mostly liquid, but does not run over. Pulsing the valve to create a very thick sprue gave sharper bases. I think it had something to do with more time for the air to escape, but I’m sure the mold was a tad hotter from that as well.