RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR for rabbit and small game, and marksmanship training on open sights

.22 LR for rabbit and small game, and marksmanship training on open sights

Another thread got me thinking on this. My first gun was a Marlin Model 97 built sometime in the early 1900's, IIRC. It's all I used, loved the heavy octagonal barrel, took many chapparal rabbits.

Decades later looking for a good .22LR lever for small game and marksmanship training with open sights. I know nothing really, about this world now. I'm sure there will be a different recommendation for every shooter who loves his lever, but any recommendations for a good rifle that will be used in the field, a worker, that doesn't break the bank?
    -Paul

So many good choices--does it have to be a lever? Don't overlook bolt actions and semi-autos. Prices from very reasonable to very expensive, but often the level of performance doesn't justify the much higher price, especially for hunting purposes. Leaf through something like The Gun Digest for some prices and ideas.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    So many good choices--does it have to be a lever? Don't overlook bolt actions and semi-autos. Prices from very reasonable to very expensive, but often the level of performance doesn't justify the much higher price, especially for hunting purposes. Leaf through something like The Gun Digest for some prices and ideas.

DG
    Thanks DG. No, it doesn't have to be a lever - in fact, my son and I both had a couple of savage bolts (rimfire scoped) that we switched out to semis (peeped) for the CMP, but sold all our 22's off. For one thing, just a lever-lover, it's what I grew up on. I just love the action and the feel, and that's with factory sights - but those eyes are long gone. The other thing might be - could be wrong - the closer approximation of sight radius and so forth to my 45-70 and his 336.

Thanks too on the Gun Digest suggestion. I'll poke around.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Henry H001T all the way. Octagonal barrel, nice stock, black metalwork at a reasonable price. I love mine!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have a nice collection of .22LR rifles, but I've wanted a lever-action .22LR for more decades than I'd care to admit to.
    A good friend knew of this and gave me a good price on a nice 94/22 when he was downsizing recently.
    I can say that nothing else quite fits the bill if that's what you want; good luck with the search.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jom71ilwzn...92649.jpg?dl=0

Moderator Emeritus

Marlin 39a lever. Love mine and basically gold standard in my opinion. I just don't care for the Henry's and I have a few. Good luck.
    Ron

It doesn’t get any better than a Marlin 39A.

Henry 001TLB Small Game Rifle.
    Mine was dead on out of the box. Never adjusted the sights. The
    Skinner peep sight is wonderful. Has Interchangeable apertures that can be purchased from Skinner. The one that came with it is middle of the road in size. Good for me.

This rifle is going to Camp Perry with me next weekend.

Yep. Marlin 39A. The only thing that compares is the Win 94/22. Both are pretty pricy these days, but worth it.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Another thread got me thinking on this. My first gun was a Marlin Model 97 built sometime in the early 1900's, IIRC. It's all I used, loved the heavy octagonal barrel, took many chapparal rabbits.

Decades later looking for a good .22LR lever for small game and marksmanship training with open sights. I know nothing really, about this world now. I'm sure there will be a different recommendation for every shooter who loves his lever, but any recommendations for a good rifle that will be used in the field, a worker, that doesn't break the bank?
    going off your heading - any old second hand 22 will do the job - they are a great training tool for offhand shooting - teaches you to shoot iron sights better than anything - a low priced air gun would be even better -

Boolit Buddy
    Marlin 39a

The Browning BL22 is a good one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    It doesn’t get any better than a Marlin 39A.
    Agree. As accurate with good ammo as all but the most expensive bolters. I once caught two woodchucks about 20 feet apart, about 80 yards from the kitchen porch. Drilled 'em both in the space of about three seconds, offhand, which I never could have done with a bolt action.
    Cognitive Dissident

I just picked up a Marlin 39A with the slim stocks made in 1969 in like new condition. I paid $925. for it and thought I got a pretty good deal compared to what they want for em on Guns International. Put a Weaver 4x on it and it's my new favorite rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	awQFBLNl.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	315516
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

I see almost no high quality 22's being made now, the days of old when marlin 39's or the bolt guns from Winchester and Remington are just not there any longer and good used ones are expensive. Having said that, I shot my nephews new Henry 22 and damn! I was impressed...Octagon barrel too.

I have quite a collection of older 22's, the 39A's are very good, older the better but condition is everything so look for one in high condition. I have two of them and they shoot fantastic, as does my early Winchester 9422. Also a Brno #1, mine holds 3/8's groups from a good bench setup. or, the CZ 452's are very nice and quite accurate too. all the guns mentioned are no longer being made so expect a premium if finding one.
    Last edited by gc45; 06-30-2023 at 01:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    I've got a Browning. It is fun and it feeds everything. It is not the most accurate gun I have. Good for open-sight shooting. Plenty accurate for small game.

My Winchester 9422 is the most accurate gun I own. Can't hardly miss if I tried to with that dandy little rifle.

Thanks guys, lots to work with. Thinking on it now, as I did for years, I could kick myself for selling my pristine Model 97 to my swim coach, for $100. Granted that was 50+ years ago. Beautiful piece of machinery that regularly took jack rabbits on the run in the sage.
    -Paul

Boolit Man
    I would rank the .22 lever actions in this order, 9422, BL22,39A.

With that being said, I dearly love my Henry H001L Classic with a 16” barrel and the large lever loop. Mine is accurate and reliable. For less than $400, they are a lot of fun.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 Henry rimfire's, the 'plain' H001 22LR, an octagon 24" 22LR and an octagon 17HMR. I also have two Marlin 39A 's(no safety or rebounding, a 9422 22LR, a Ruger 96/22 22 Mag and a bunch of Mossberg's. I use the 24" octagon with a Nikon 4-12 more than any other rimfire, my wife prefers the 'common' H001. The Henry's are truly bargains compared to finding a Winchester 9422 or Marlin 39A with accuracy at 50 and 100 yards as good or better than the others. Groups well under an inch at 50 yards common with most 'decent' ammunition and even better with the 'good stuff'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast