RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Anyone load 8x57 for a Hakim?

Boolit Master

Anyone load 8x57 for a Hakim?

Title pretty much says it all, I have a couple of Hakims's that I'd like to start loading for and am looking for suggested boolit loads.

Thanks!

Those are neat rifles.
    The gas port can be adjusted down and the brass deflector wrapped with rubber tape to prevent damage to the brass.
    I never shot cast in mine- because 8x57mm surplus ammo from Egypt and Yugoslavia at the time was CHEAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Not politically correct…but I got a few rounds of 8mm Turkish - been pulling down for bullets and powder.

Such a violent action - would a Pb boolit survive?

Boolit Master

These were fired in a Hakim. Gas guns can be cranky and irritable if you don't feed them what they want.

Imprudent attention paid to the gas port setting was the opinion of the forensic examination of the below incident. The stock was damaged beyond repair in the area of the two upper trigger guard screws where they interface with the stock. Gas vented down through the magazine area blowing parts everywhere. Pieces of gun flying through the air.

Used available Hakim stocks = very costly.

Dutch

6.5x55 Swedish AG42B Ljungman, nearly the same thing.
    https://www.sarcoinc.com/swedish-ag4...-rifle-barrel/
    Then gunparts or apex. all three are worth a call as you never know what they might have.
    I had something like this happen to a ljungman. Hand fit a new disconnector and replaced firing pin spring.
    In my case there was no question that it was OOB discharge.
    The middle cartridge is a curious one but I may offer a plausible explanation.
    I believe that the extractor never quite made it over the rim, coupled with the OOB above.
    I say I believe because I found evidence of fouling, detritus, crap, under the extractor but didn't see/find the crap. Either it went flying when disassembled or fired, I don't know, but the evidence was there.
    I have heard that the 8mm is a bit of an afterthought in comparison to the 6.5. My NATO cousins reported headspace issues as one of the areas needing inspection.
    Did you know there is a 7.62x39 version of this pattern? Less said about that abortion the better

Boolit Master
    Referencing the Rasheed/Rashid? Try finding parts for that one of 8,000 made, well I did , test fired and down the road it went. Now I have two Hakims that have been sitting and they are getting ready to go up for adoption.

Boolit Master
    I own Hakims and did reload for them. I put rubber tubing on the bolt cover, but ejection did destroy the cases. One Hakim did permit me to tone down the ejection effort. Another refused to budge and sends fired cases into the next ZIP code.

Worn brass does get "fed" to Hakim #2. It is accurate and likes the Lyman 215 grain semi-spitzer and my accuracy load in bolt 8mm rifles.

Hakim #2 loves the PPU hunting load and prints 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards from the bench. The brass is put into the Salvage bucket. Last ditch, use the 196 grain hunting load and who cares about destroyed brass. LOL.

Adam

The Portuguese FM 8x57 197gr surplus ammunition was great in both of the Hakims that I had.
    Groups like Adam mentioned above, non corrosive, and Berdan primed- no need to worry about picking up the brass.
    I hunted deer once with 175 Sierra sp seated in place of the fmj bullet.
    I didn’t see any deer and by the first mile I decided not to carry that heavy thing hunting again!
    Mine dinged up brass from the deflector but never sheared a rim off.
    The muzzle break is very effective and loud.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry - never loaded cast for the Hakim. I did a lot of shooting with mine back around 2010 or so. That thing made me nervous as all get out, what with all of the horror stories based on the finicky nature of the rifle. That said, it's a really fun rifle to shoot. Haven't pulled it out for years and years.

The Turk ammo I had was obviously way too hot for the rifle, and probably also had the wrong pressure curve. But at the time I had a lot of Turk. So what I did was pull the bullets (wasn't hard to do as half of the bullets were loose in the brass), then reduce the powder charge--sorry, don't remember how much--and replace the bullet and crimp it in place with a LEE FCD. It shot great. Was corrosive, of course, so had to clean the rifle right away. But it did work well. Very mild recoil and enough power to cycle the action.

I bet a search here would come up with some recommendations for cast loads. It's a cool enough rifle that I won't be selling it. I'll hold it for the years ahead when I have enough time to mess with it again. I bet powder coating has changed the game enough that many bullets would work well in the rifle.

8mmFan

I was looking for a different tool and came across my old makeshift Hakim gas tool!
    I would imagine that the Turk ammo would need the valve shut down a bit.
    It wasn’t available on the surplus market when I had my Hakims.

Boolit Grand Master
    A friend has one. He could never get it running with cast. Even single loading rounds.
    Back in the glory days of surplus 8mm ammo, he got it running with Turk ammo.

That being said, he pulled a lot of the turk ammo and reduced the charge. I forgot what he said, but it was between 5% and 7%.

Note on turkish ammo. The powder charge could vary 2-4 grains from the same bandoleer.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    Hmmm…I’m glad I stumbled into this thread. I have a Hakim, and I was just thinking about loading for it the other day.

Boolit Master

Don't know why this photo disappeared from the above post.... See my post above concerning these cases.

Boolit Master
    Maye GONRA missed it, but the 8x57mm Hakims and 7.62x39 Rashids
    have ADJUSTABLE GAS VALVES, unlike the 6.5x55mm Swede Ljungmans
    they were licensed from.......
    Egyptian GI (nice steel tool) and US&A Aftermarket (plastic) tools were available.....
    These gas adjustment tools are essential for shootin' these!