MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Does anyone use open sights anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    but other than simplicity, they have no advantage.
    I've found them handy since you have a better field of view, especially on a moving target.
    Not running, but walking in & out behind brush.
    For hunting at longer ranges, I use a scope too, but have found myself a few times waiting for a deer to stand still for a second,,,
    and have it walk on by since I didn't think that would have been a good, safe shot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'll start off telling them, "It's like Dustin Hoffman said in the old movie, "The Little Big Man".
    During his 'gunfighter phase' Wild Bill Hickok taught him to use 'squint eyed concentration'.
    OK, name dropping. My teacher.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hickok.jpg.6613efc6ab421c10f32cbdc0b5f4ea33.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	315530
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    I have a couple antique firearms with open sights. Everything else gets a scope, dot, magnifier, or some combination of them. I feel like there is absolutely no reason to not use every and any advantage possible to shoot as accurately as my skill level and my equipment allows. I think it’s important to know how to use iron sights, but other than simplicity, they have no advantage.
    Always there are tradeoffs
    a scope on a lever gun takes away the easy carry and fast handling - sometimes / places that is a poor trade, sometimes not

old eyes and iron sights? finer sights are not more accurate if ya cant see em - at 74 yrs I can still do decent shooting with iron sights but do it better with a big, wide, flat top, front blade, and a correspondingly coarse backsight - wide, square notch, flat top, plenty daylight for the front blade.

same with peeps - hunting I pull the eypiece out of my williams 5D

have 2 scoped guns for pest control / varmint --- 22/250 with a ten power redfield - average shot on Roos is 250 yards (sight 2.5 inches high @ 100)

the best marksmanship practice is standing unsupported - teaches to not pull a bad shot - an occasional fail to fire is good to - dont flinch? that will show it clear as day

Scope is the only way I can see what I am shooting at now days. After fighting covid for three months a few months ago, my right eye got worse. I have to use a scope on all my rifles now, or just leave them in the gun cabinet.

Boolit Bub
    I feel the cartridge plays a big role in what the sighting arrangement should be. A 7mm PRC or 22-250 really aren't going to live up to their potential with iron sights. But the chosen rifle plays into the equation, as well. I have a Winchester 1895 in 30-06 that can't really be scoped and it doesn't extract the long range potential of that fine cartridge, but that fits in with the simplicity of why I bought it in the first place. I am of the opinion that open sights are the best way to introduce new shooters. My first gun and still a favorite is a single shot Ithaca 49 that is plenty accurate. Even the blackpowder muzzleloaders can be surprisingly accurate at reasonable ranges. I think a lot of us just appreciate the simple act of firing a gun, without all of the whizbang compensating scope features so prevalent today. The aforementioned 1895 and the other Winchester lever actions minus optics are such a joy to carry which is a big part of their attraction, as far as I am concerned.

Boolit Bub

My favorite hunting rifle is my old 30-30 Winchester with iron sights. Anytime I go hunting for deer or elk it goes with me.

Boolit Man
    I only use them on my rifles that won’t readily take a scope like my Rossi R92, Winchester M94 XTR, and a Garand.
    On the Rossi, I replaced the semi buckhorn with a Marble Bullseye for a huge improvement.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still a big fan of tang peep and globe front sights. They're mostly on single shot rifles. Levers generally have open iron sights, but a couple sport tang peep and globe front sights also. But, I have scopes on those rifles that can take best advantage of them.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Iron sights ?? absolutely ! As long as I am able to see the front sight reasonably well I'll keep them around .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Iron sights ?? absolutely ! As long as I am able to see the front sight reasonably well I'll keep them around .

Jack
    I see the front sight perfectly well. Problem is there's more than one.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    I see the front sight perfectly well. Problem is there's more than one.
    not a problem so long as we can pick the same one each time !

I have aperature sights on most of my unscoped rifles. For long range BPCR my Sharps and Highwalls have target foresights.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

No one has mentioned, we'll maybe vaguely, simple red dots. Since my eyes are getting bad, I can't use the Marble's Bullseye as effectively as i used to. Especially in dim light. So i mounted a red dot on my Henry. I hated doing it, but it is what it is.

The red dot I use will fit in the palm of your hand. It in no way affected the handling of the rifle. And the target acquisition is much faster then iron sights. I was able to mount it behind the Bullseye sight so I have a backup.

The red dot is more then adequate for the ranges of a 45-70 and my normal hunting conditions.

Boolit Master

Yeah, carbines are nice. Unfortunately, my eyes want the front sight farther away. Peeps help, but optics help more.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

2 pre '64 1894 30wcf have old redfield peeps with Skinner blades on the front, a Winny 1895 flat side 30/40 has a climbing Lyman and also a Skinner blade... M1 as issued from '42... and a Winny model 54 in 06 has a Lyman target peep with a blade front... my 45acp AR style PCC has La Rue folding night sights that co-witness an Aimpoint PRO... shoot them all regularly... as well as scoped bolt guns... i don't care for bead front sights...get a much better sight pic and need only touch the target with the post to hit...

My Win 1894 Sporter required a new front sight with the addition of the Williams FP.

I purchased the exact same sight that was on there, Marble with a brass bead, at .450” high. Factory front was .370+/-.

I can now see the sights CLEARLY at 62yo.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Compact scopes with no objective bell are the best compromise for me so that's what I use mostly for deer.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234