WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asking Prayers for Recovery from Alcohol!

Boolit Master

Prayers for your son
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    Get him to a psychiatrist with a specialization in addiction treatment, also, if he'll go. You may as well avail yourself of EVERY resource at your/his disposal.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    To be brief. My eldest son has a severe drinking problem. After 15 years he has finally accepted he has no control, and is seeking to go into a recovery program. Pray for God's guidance in this matter. Cory is his name, and God knows him.

Thanks in advance!
    Prayers sent

Unless Cory quits drinking on his own and stays quit; Friends, family , rehab facilities, preachers and God himself can’t keep him sober.
    It’s up to Cody alone.
    Prayers sent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Update

God has heard our prayers!

He's back from detox and counseling with a new outlook on life and says he's reconnected with God. He's certainly talking the talk and walking the walk. He's got his head in the Bible, the big book, and a few other recovery books as well as making meetings.
    Alcohol, cunning, baffling, and powerful, but there is one who is all powerful! I think he's found him!

Prayers for continued surrender and determination appreciated!

Addiction is a spiritual problem. One has to have aa reason for living before the search for pain killers can cease. Thanks be to God for Cory's progress to date. It is not always a straight line upward, but the up movement can be greater than the down.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I'm glad to hear that Cory is on the tracks, hopefully to recovery and a normal life. I spent twenty years of my life as a drunken dope fiend, and the power of God, and the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous brought me to sobriety.

Another group I hear about these days is Celebrate Recovery, which I hear is a very successful Christian based recovery group. I want to stress that the best cure costs nothing, is found in almost every town, and will lead him to other folks who will help him kick his curse. A mentor is highly recommended for his journey. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Soren Kirkegaard made the comment, years ago, that every man has a hole in him that only God can fill. No drug can fill it, no addiction can fill it, and no religion can fill it. Only God. And only when we let God fill it - all too often we think God is filling it until we realize that we have replaced Church or some other 'good thing' and are trying to fill ourselves again. It is to 'let go and let God' that is the challenge for all of us.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I ask the Holy Spirit to Bless Cory and help us to show him he is not alone.

We go camping, barbeque, get married, hang out without beer.
    Can seem odd, at first.
    "Long Goodbye" Raymond Chandler wrote that it takes a year.
    He wrote "Some of your old friends won't like you..."
    Some of us have a very good reason for avoiding alcohol.
    Some of us just want a better fellowship for our kids.

Sin is anything that comes between you and God.
    It's not what goes into your mouth,
    but what comes out of it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    To be brief. My eldest son has a severe drinking problem. After 15 years he has finally accepted he has no control, and is seeking to go into a recovery program. Pray for God's guidance in this matter. Cory is his name, and God knows him.

Thanks in advance!
    Father, You are the Great Healer and I am turning to You to place Your loving arms around Thundarstick's son as he battles alcoholism. Please show him the path that he must follow to redeem his soul from the sin of alcoholism. Please allow him to undertake a recovery program that will help him beat his alcoholism. AMEN
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Praise God for Corey's recovery, thus far. Praying he stays diligent and doesn't get discouraged at the set backs, and there will be set backs. "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me." - John 14:1
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Soren Kirkegaard made the comment, years ago, that every man has a hole in him that only God can fill. No drug can fill it, no addiction can fill it, and no religion can fill it. Only God. And only when we let God fill it - all too often we think God is filling it until we realize that we have replaced Church or some other 'good thing' and are trying to fill ourselves again. It is to 'let go and let God' that is the challenge for all of us.
    This 100%. I'm reading accounts of the early Desert Father's and the lengths they went to in order to find God were extreme even by the times they lived in
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Praise God indeed! The whole family was with us for worship today! Praise God!! One day at a time, is how we build a life time!

Boolit Master

Amen to that brother.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

More prayers for Cory.

Prayers for you and your son.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Very glad to hear of the progress, hope it continues. In a related note, I've struggled with binge eating all my life. It may not be intoxicating, but it will kill you just as dead as booze or drugs. I've found intermittent fasting really helps. Obviously, you have to eat to stay alive but when I restrict it to just a couple hours a day I find I have more self-control.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Remind Cory frequently that he is looking at a lifestyle change. His drinking buddies have to go, his drinking habits need to be changed, and his attitude toward alcohol should become his attitude toward poison, because for him it is. This also needs to be a family change. You can't cook with wine and beer if there is an alcoholic in the house. One big advantage of programs like AA is that this reminder is constant.

As long as he is not in a similar program the family needs to be the reminder.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Remind Cory frequently that he is looking at a lifestyle change. His drinking buddies have to go, his drinking habits need to be changed, and his attitude toward alcohol should become his attitude toward poison, because for him it is. This also needs to be a family change. You can't cook with wine and beer if there is an alcoholic in the house. One big advantage of programs like AA is that this reminder is constant.

As long as he is not in a similar program the family needs to be the reminder.
    Wayne is 100% right. I used to work with a jail chaplain, and he said alot of folks did really well in lockup because it got them away from toxic people and situations. Soon as they got out they were in the same mess as always.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12