MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoped revolver/pistol rest

Red face Scoped revolver/pistol rest

obviously I don't mean the Ransom Rest, but any Random Rest, commercial or home-brewed, to test your loads from your scoped handgun. I'm confident that any solution will be better than the wooden shoe box I modified 20 years ago.
    the important thing is that you have used it or are currently using it,
    from a rock&gloves to beanbags, up to the Real Mcoy, photos and drawings are welcome.
    Thanks to All

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JJviMyiR-Q
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-27-2023 at 06:17 PM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    We used a small sandbag under the grip and the barrel/forward frame in a regular bench rest. Yes, when shooting a revolver the forward bag would get abused

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    We used a small sandbag under the grip and the barrel/forward frame in a regular bench rest. Yes, when shooting a revolver the forward bag would get abused
    ...I learned it right away.
    later I prevented it with a shop rag which caught fire
    Rob

...next enters the shoe box below...
    Rob

I use a regular rear rifle bag w/ the ears. Makes a great barrel rest. (My revolvers are 6" barrel or longer.)
    Simply cut the legs off old jeans to 10" segments or so, and pull a couple layers over the bag. This prevents burns to the bag from the cylinder gap, and muzzle as well.

Sometimes the denim catches fire, just slap it out and go back at it.

I used to use a large chunk of scrap leather, but that gets expensive and smells quite bad when scorched.

I also put a chunk of styrofoam under under my elbows -- helps keep them from being jabbed into bench from recoil.
    Packing material is where I get mine, and it has held up for years.

Cheap, effective.

I use my regular benchrest (Framkford from Midwayusa) with a piece of old leather welding jacket cut into a 18"x18" square to cover the bag on the rest and the leather wont catch on fire. A leather shop can sell you a piece of rough leather pretty reasonably. I use a 25lb shot bag filled about 3/4 full of play sand for the butt of the gun. My leather has withstood thousands of revolver sessions.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    The proper use of shooting bags can assist in handgunning. And of course,, a proper TYPE of rest is necessary to be of real assistance.

A rest that supports the butt, IN your hands, and forearms is better than many other types. Plus,, support under the elbows is a good thing too. A rest needs to be firm,, yet not solid. Sandbags, or bags of lead shot have been used with good results. I found a good medium to use instead of sand or lead. A mfg plant that uses plastic pellets for their injection molding makes excellent firm bag packing material, that won't absorb water, and is lightweight. A friend supplied me with floor sweepings (waste to them) long ago.
    Pack a pair of bluejean leg material (made into a bag) or old lead shot bags with pellets, and sew tight. I have several of these. Then, for a revolver,, a scrap piece of leather, that can drape over the bags near the cylinder, and muzzle area, completes the bag set-up. I use blocks of wide, thick sturdy wood to build the height I need, and to stabilize the bags.
    Place the frame of the revolver, just in front of the trigger guard, and right under the rear portion of the barrel, "into" the bag. A second bag goes under the grip for the base of the grip & my hands. A 3rd bag goes under my elbows.

No pictures,, but it works for me.

But for field shooting,, I use the "Keith" sitting method,, or my new friend,, a "Sixshot sling." Barranti Leather makes the sling. Those two field methods work very well. Of course,, not all shots are capable of allowing a seated position. I have a Primos tri-pod "Trigger stick" with a hand made leather rest, (packed with plastic pellets,) for the standing shots when I can.
    Last edited by contender1; 06-28-2023 at 10:37 PM.

...if I comment/respond to all of You individually, I need a personal blog, but in all of You I find something that I personally adopted, starting from when I slapped my jeans on fire, to leather repairs, (from some previous riding&welding troubles) to airsoft pellets because I couldn't carry around full birdshot bags.
    as usual, here I learn solutions done better and with more brain. so when you replicate my mouse burns too, and I treasure it.
    photos testify how low one can fall without the advice of those who had already been there. ( never heard about sixshot slings, until now, but here i will be enough to scare the bystanders , if not my bullseye )_ I hope to learn more_ thanks to All !
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master
    The best I ever found for shooting groups on paper from either a bench or over a truck hood is two piles of sandbags. One under each forearm, then grip the pistol in your normal shooting grip.

Yes a bit of padding under the elbows helps.

It may or may not work for you; but back when I could still see the front sight without glasses, I could reliably print one inch groups at twenty five yards with my Ruger SSM in .32 H&R Magnum using this technique. Now? I am lucky to even hit close to the bull without gasses.

Robert

...glasses and scope, here, : revolvers only, today, from 2,5" to 10,5"_
    well before & aside my low-tech, any comments regarding the most suitable positions for all of Yours are particularly welcome.
    there are olympic or combat shooting technique books, instructors, etc., but very little, afaik, regarding this specific activity, precisely because it is connected to the physical constitution of each individual shooter and the type of handgun he uses, and where, therefore necessarily everything must then be adapted to the view, to the build, age, etc. and the goal is not to finish first, but to exclude as many variables as possible from the evaluation of my handloads. and this limits my frustrations, expenses and opens my the grin, not my group
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I use old shot bags that I fill with fine sand from the ready mix plant close by & I make sure the top bag is only half full so I can "channel" my revolver down into the bag. Then I place a piece of scrap leather that I get from leather shops down into that channel to steady the front of my gun. The rear bag is another sand bag that I place my hands on, not the butt of the gun if you do that the revolver will bite into the bag & cause vertical stringing. You want to be sure & place your hands on the bag. I also use one of my Caldwell shooting bags & do the same thing, throw the piece of leather into the "V" & then place the revolver barrel down into the "V".
    You can see in some of the photo's some examples of the Barranti/Sixshot shooting sling that is so handy if you're out on the mountain side & need to take a sitting shot. I've used this Elmer Keith position for over 50 years & with Doc Barranti's new sling it's much easier & very fast. Plus you don't burn your pants or leg. Just pre adjust the sling at home & carry it in your pocket so it's ready to go in seconds, just drop down with your back to a rock, stump or dirt bank, etc so you have a back rest & get the sling around your knees & make the shot like I did on the Zebra in the photo.

Dick

...Sixshot, about the Caldwell combo and related, you didn't speak to the deaf...
    about the Sling, (I don't even dare to talk about your Revolver) you can't figure out what You and Contender1 above have triggered here
    seriously, I'm flattered by the explanatory photos and by the field/hunting images.
    Thank you,Sir_
    Rob

Boolit Master
    sixshot has added some EXCELLENT pics & info. And upon re-reading my post,, I realized I didn't describe my rest technique correctly. I use my bag under the butt of my handgun BUT,,,,, it's my hands that rest there,, not the actual gun. My apologies. (Fixed it!)

The sling.

"Doc" Barranti & sixshot have that sling idea down pat. It's the cat's meow for field use,, IF,, you can take a sitting shot.

As for sixshot's guns,, heck, talk about them all you want. I figured he'd get more comments on his Crocs!

Seriously,, sixshot is a heck of a good handgunner,, and knows his stuff. I've seen him work, and proud to call him a friend. (But he still can't have that Vaquero!)

Boolit Master
    Tyrone is correct, if you are getting shots from the sitting position this little sling rest is great. I live in the mountains so my shots are almost never broadside, that is, I'm either shooting uphill or downhill & almost always I can get a back rest to shoot from.
    It isn't hard to find a rock or a tree to lean up against & use this Barranti sling. If a rest isn't light most people won't carry one, these weigh 5-6 ounces at the most & you can have it on in just a few seconds. They flair your legs out to draw it tight & make the shot. I'm guessing I can hold on a grapefruit out to maybe 75 yds with this rest, it's that steady.
    If you take a small stool to sit on then you usually need something to put your feet on to make up the difference. I still deserve that beat up Vaquero!

Dick

Sirs,
    something had already made me suspect that I had knocked on the door of some major league, but now You've all my undivided attention_
    if I don't reply adequately, it's because I can listen only, and w. my greatest pleasure_

(...trouser belts joined together to try now, but when I was sitting it doesn't bothered me.
    zebra stripes painted on my rocking horse are drying. if I don't kill myself down the stairs first )
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-29-2023 at 12:10 PM. Reason: d.t.stairs
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    ...I also put a chunk of styrofoam under my elbows...
    ...more styrofoam, here
    Rob

I have been using a Caldwell pistol rest for several years now. It is not rock solid, but for about $20, I can’t complain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22B4A44C-5396-4008-9B78-5EA77FDEDB2B.jpg  
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I have been using a Caldwell pistol rest for several years now. It is not rock solid, but for about $20, I can’t complain.
    if you're not complaining, I guess it's worth trying one anyway. tonight the order starts, along with other accessories. thanks!
    Rob

Boolit Buddy

DIY== I mounted a scissors jack from a Honda ? on a wood base. A small leather owl ear bag mounted on top with a small scrap piece of wood. Adjusts fron 7 inches to about 18. Sand bag under wrists. One of interest to me was found on an Air Rifle forum. They cut the handle off of a paint roller and mounted to block. A wooly roller cover seems like an idea. Soft and fluffy and rolls with recoil instead of sliding rearward, Love the leather knee sling, probaly need to try that too. GW

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    DIY== I mounted a scissors jack from a Honda ? on a wood base. A small leather owl ear bag mounted on top with a small scrap piece of wood. Adjusts fron 7 inches to about 18. Sand bag under wrists. One of interest to me was found on an Air Rifle forum. They cut the handle off of a paint roller and mounted to block. A wooly roller cover seems like an idea. Soft and fluffy and rolls with recoil instead of sliding rearward, Love the leather knee sling, probably need to try that too. GW
    ...well, I've such a self-made gizmo to lift my rigid Ironhead :
    ready, stick welded a 3/4" slab steel base, fire red painted ...
    thanks for the Inspiration !

(...about the Sling, I could only suggest to buy the real one, and stay away from the stairs )
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-29-2023 at 07:52 PM.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast