RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Looking for Books on win 94

Looking for Books on win 94

I'm looking for something like the Kuhnhausen books for winchester 94. Not as much expanded parts drawings or history lessons , tho those are interesting too. Any suggestions?

Don’t know exactly what you are looking for, but Sam Fadala wrote a good book on the 1894/94.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 on Sam Fadela's book.

I have a 2nd edition of Robert C, Renneberg's Winchester 94... A Century Of Craftmanship, and found it to be my go-to book for Winchester 1894/94 information from the start of production in 1894 to the end of New Haven production in 2006.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

+ 2 for Sam Fadela'sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	315435
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Renneberg 94 book and madis winchester book.

Fadalas book is decent. It didn’t have as much history or as much regarding field usage as I’d liked. The Winchester book by Madis has some interesting info on the 94 as well as other models. Winchester by RL Wilson is worth a read too.

Boolit Master

I have a signed copy of The Winchester Book 1 of 1000 by Madis!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I have a 2nd edition of Robert C, Renneberg's Winchester 94... A Century Of Craftmanship, and found it to be my go-to book for Winchester 1894/94 information from the start of production in 1894 to the end of New Haven production in 2006.

I have This one as well-- very good at having lots of information and details-- the pictures and lists of parts especially good-- although I have also found errors in it.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Don’t know exactly what you are looking for, but Sam Fadala wrote a good book on the 1894/94.
    I'm looking for technical info, tolerances torq specifications common gunsmith errors , weaknesses. If this crowd hasnt looked at the Kuhnhausen ruger single actions book I encourage you to do so. Ive seen his books sell here. They are not hard to come by and usually less than 40 bucks

Boolit Master
    I would doubt that there is any single-model rifle gunsmithing book at all that has the wealth of detail that the Kuhnhausen pistolsmithing books have.

There is a short section on the Winchester 1894, mostly related to “modernizing,” in McFarland’s Gunsmithing Simplified. It’s mostly how to change barrels and cartridge guides, in order to convert your obsolete octagon .38-55 to a more up-to-date .30-30 carbine, IIRC. The Pirkle collectors’ book on the 1894 at least shows variations in manufacture of some of the parts. Brownell’s Vol 1 compendium Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms has line drawings of how to get the 1894 apart and back together again.

Other than those, I haven’t seen anything.

the AGI technical manual and armorer's course on dvd covers disassembly/reassembly, design, function and repair... gunsmithing and troubleshooting... handy to see it done and to go through it enough to get it down... www.americangunsmithing.com not a book of course but it will make working on a win 94 understandable... does not cover re-barreling or extensive modification...

Boolit Grand Master
    There was at one time an old NRA publication on how to make a standard 94 into a take down 94. It was a clever procedure that involved some minor machine work with interrupted threads on the barrel and the like. It's been decades since I saw the article. Maybe somebody can dig up a reference.

This is the now out-of-print NRA publication that has the M94 takedown conversion article ( pg 273-276):

https://www.amazon.com/NRA-Gunsmithi...a_1_fkmrnull_1
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    Good catch, pietro. That's the one I was thinking about.

Boolit Mold
    Got Renneberg 94 book a few days ago, and it's a good one. The information in this book was very well-researched and was well worth the price. My professor recommended this book because I mentioned something related to it during the history lesson, and he recommended I read it. And it's a great one because I'm working on one project, and I can use a lot of info. But even with info, it's hard to write, so I've used https://edubirdie.com/essay-writers-for-hire with the first part of the project, which is more about history, and it was required to find and analyze a lot of info. So, I decided to use some help and focus on reading and using the info from it.
    Last edited by marklarson; 09-29-2023 at 07:48 AM.

You might be interested in the Mod. 94 shop manual once published by Winchester. Perhaps available from Brownell's (was at one time), or a replica reprint from Cornell Publications, or perhaps one could be found on e-bay or Amazon.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by marklarson View Post
    Got Renneberg 94 book a few days ago and it's a good one. The information in this book was very well-researched and was well worth the price.
    This is more of a history, than tech info as I understand it ?

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk