Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Two “Do it All” (for me) C/F rifles

Boolit Master

Two “Do it All” (for me) C/F rifles

With the cost/availability of components these days, I’ve decided to minimize the variety of components needed in inventory while still being able to cover my shooting needs.
    For home defense;varmint hunting;and 100 yard target/general shooting I chose a Ruger 556 with a Vortex Spitfire red dot. I also have an old Weaver 4X on a 1 inch riser that I switch back and forth with the Vortex. The second rifle is a REM 700 ADL Varmint with the barrel shortened to 22” in .308. This one’s used for big game and long range targets. It has a 12 twist barrel so I expect it to do well with cast although I’ve yet to do much in load development yet. This rifle combo allows me to standardize in both powder and primers. I’m able to use SR primers and common mid-range powders in both rifles without compromising performance. Also the moderate amount of powder these two cartridges use help to reduce expense. Anyway, that’s my plan to cope with today’s high cost and low availability issues.

You’ve made two solid choices in my opinion. What scope goes on the .308?
    Do you have SRP .308 brass? I wasn’t aware that you could find it since Remington’s .308 BR brass in the 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I did the same years ago. With .223 and .308, powders are the same. I stocked up on primers so having both SR and LR was not a problem, I saved enough on surplus .308 brass that it made sense to not invest in the SP .308 brass. I also kept "in reserve" a couple of .30/30's when they started talking about coming down on "assault weapons". So "hoarding" LRP's made sense.

I have started to shed the .30/30's as I will not live long enough to worry about gun bans and will not obey stupid laws anymore. Too old to care what the idiots do.

I can load 28 ga, 20 ga, 12 ga, .223, .30/30, .308, 9mm, .38/.357, .40 and .45 with four powders. Unique, Promo, HP38 and Varget (soon to switch to 4064 due to supply issues). I do not really need the HP38 but I got a bunch on sale. Three powders will cover everything I need doing. KISS. People with dozens of calibers and scores of molds who whine about supply issues make me smile. I call them MITS - Make It Tough Stupid. Of course, I mean this is a loving a respectful way.

I don't get anal about 1/2" difference in group size at 25 yards with a pistol or 100 yards with a rifle. Killing stuff does not need that degree of precision. Using jacketed bullets for "serious" work makes achieving accuracy much easier and I do not plink with the CF's rifles much anymore. Cheaper ways to get trigger time.

You made good choices. If the SHTF, you will be able to salvage stuff as well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Agreed - although I am still loyal to my 30-30, only because we have a half dozen rifles split up between family members.

Boolit Master
    Yep, Starline; Peterson, and a few others make .308 sp brass these days (mostly for the precision rifle crowd). I have a small quantity but like Don, I have a lot of .308 plus brass and several thousand large primers on hand. I will eventually change over to sp brass The .308 has a Vortex Diamondback FFP with an EBR MOA reticle that’s 4-16X44. It’s not the best glass but I like it for my purposes. I’ve used the EBR up to 650 yds and made consistent hits on steel.

Boolit Master
    I downsized a long time ago. If I had not used a gun in over a year I sold it off. 2 rifles and 3 pistols left. Makes keeping track of ammo and components easier.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good thread for people to think about. One thing I did not mention is I have multiple guns in the same caliber. Makes more sense to have three . 308’s than a .270, .308 and .30/06. If a gun goes down, or I need to arm someone else, redundancy can be life saving.

A saying comes to mind….”Less is more”.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I downsized a long time ago. If I had not used a gun in over a year I sold it off. 2 rifles and 3 pistols left….
    I admire your pragmatism. I have been thinking about reducing my possessions for a while. Until now my attitude was: if I couldn’t shoot a firearm really (for me) well after several months, it was gone. Trouble is now, the ones I have are all good in my hands and to make it worse, are examples of firearms I’ve always wanted. It’s tough to decide which ones to get rid of.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I admire your pragmatism. I have been thinking about reducing my possessions for a while. Until now my attitude was: if I couldn’t shoot a firearm really (for me) well after several months, it was gone. Trouble is now, the ones I have are all good in my hands and to make it worse, are examples of firearms I’ve always wanted. It’s tough to decide which ones to get rid of.
    I won't sell anything. My approach is when I am gone my kids get everything. They can do a lil work since they will be getting it all for free. Builds character and they can either be smart and find out the values or be stupid and just sell for quick cask. Up to them.

Boolit Master

It's a valid strategy, however, I have a slight problem adopting it. . .

Me and the .30-06:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I'll Never Let Go.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	315434
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    It's a valid strategy, however, I have a slight problem adopting it. . .

Me and the .30-06:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I'll Never Let Go.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	315434
    Well if I lived in the northwestern states the 30/06 and H4895 powder might be my choice along with the Ruger 556.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    With the cost/availability of components these days, I’ve decided to minimize the variety of components needed in inventory while still being able to cover my shooting needs.
    For home defense;varmint hunting;and 100 yard target/general shooting I chose a Ruger 556 with a Vortex Spitfire red dot. I also have an old Weaver 4X on a 1 inch riser that I switch back and forth with the Vortex. The second rifle is a REM 700 ADL Varmint with the barrel shortened to 22” in .308. This one’s used for big game and long range targets. It has a 12 twist barrel so I expect it to do well with cast although I’ve yet to do much in load development yet. This rifle combo allows me to standardize in both powder and primers. I’m able to use SR primers and common mid-range powders in both rifles without compromising performance. Also the moderate amount of powder these two cartridges use help to reduce expense. Anyway, that’s my plan to cope with today’s high cost and low availability issues.
    Outstanding choices. Is your Ruger an American Ranch? I have one and they are SWEET. I also have an AR-556 and it is excellent, although I actually like the RAR better. Most of the time I buy cheap FMJ ammo, pull the bullets, and install a Sierra Game King. Cheap ammo with good bullets! Lately I have really come to appreciate the .308. I would say it is a close second to my beloved .30-30.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    My Ruger is the AR 15. In fact it’s the only AR I’ve ever owned. I like it fine but know it’s just a basic entry level rifle. I agree with you on the Sierra GK’s. I have found them to have great accuracy while performing well on game. I had ignored the .308 for years but have come to really appreciate the cartridge since acquiring my 700.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The AR-556 is an excellent carbine, I really like mine. It may be on the lower price end but it is definitely not low quality. Mine was purchased in a pawn shop for $400.00 with alot of finish wear but functions 100% and is one of the most accurate non-bolt action rifles I've ever tried. The American Ranch is really sweet. Uses AR mags, threaded barrel, and actually weighs less than an AR carbine. My lone gripe is that Ruger doesn't offer it with sights. Nodak Spud used to offer an excellent and very rugged GI style sight set for it, which I have on mine. I've turned down offers of more than I paid for it new!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    IIRC, SR .308 cases were introduced at the behest of benchrest shooters. There was a story in the Rifleman about a guy who chartered a week long hunt in Alaska, dropped off by plane, and took his carefully loaded BR ammo. He was there the full week with his rifle and SR primed ammo, none of which would fire in the cold weather.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    LOL, yep. Some have been sold and others went to friends. If I am not using them then someone else should be able to enjoy them. This was a LONG process. Years, and two moves. Not being very sentimental helped. And never was a collector of things.