RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 25 Stevens now goes bang

Boolit Master

That's fantastic KJ; looks like you did a real fine job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    That's fantastic KJ; looks like you did a real fine job of it.
    Thanks. And my sincere gratitude for providing me the cases. If ever return the favor just say the word.

Boolit Master
    I keep finding .251" as the bore diameter for this cartridge. Does Cartridges of the World say different? I wonder if it's because the round is from the era of "inside lubricated" projectiles that ran slightly smaller than stated bore diameter.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I keep finding .251" as the bore diameter for this cartridge. Does Cartridges of the World say different? I wonder if it's because the round is from the era of "inside lubricated" projectiles that ran slightly smaller than stated bore diameter.
    I don't know where this idea of the .25 Stevens using a .251 bullet originated. Barnes repeated it in his book, but he was wrong. I've now got Stevens .25 rimfire rifles ranging from an 1893 sideplate through '94 Favorites, 1915 Favorites, Model 12 Marksman, Model 44s of varying vintages, and on up to a rare 1938 vintage Model 83 single shot bolt gun. NOT ONE takes a .251 bullet. They all slug .256 to .258. Remington issued their Model 4 in ".25-10", and it also had a .258 groove diameter. (One of my Favorites actually has a Remington barrel on it.) Ditto Hopkins & Allen, which was a prolific maker of their Junior model in .25 Stevens.

You may be remembering the .32 Colt, which went from a heeled bullet to an undersize hollow-base bullet, (which didn't work very well by most accounts). That never happened with the .25 Stevens. It was always inside lubricated. They made a selling point of it right from the introduction of the cartridge back when the Stevens company was still making Tip-Up rifles.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-04-2023 at 02:07 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    Actually, Wikipedia, The Firearms Forum & my own measurements has the bullet diameter as 0.251”. I have a Marlin / Glenfield Pump Rifles 27S in 25 Stevens Long& about a 100 rounds

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/thr...ensions.48976/

Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.25_Stevens

I'll put my collection, (now NINE rifles factory bored and chambered .25 Stevens), up against Wikipedia any day and twice on Sunday. I repeat, NONE are bored for a .251 bullet.

Would not be the first time Wikipedia was wrong. Not even the hundredth. Slug that Marlin so you'll know.

Wiki's writer (plagiarist?) doesn't even know when the cartridge was introduced. It is shown in the 1896 Stevens catalog, mentioned in the 1895 Ideal handbook, and my sideplate Favorite was made in 1894 or earlier, possibly as early as 1892.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-15-2023 at 03:34 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I'll put my collection, (now NINE rifles factory bored and chambered .25 Stevens), up against Wikipedia any day and twice on Sunday. I repeat, NONE are bored for a .251 bullet.

Would not be the first time Wikipedia was wrong. Not even the hundredth. Slug that Marlin so you'll know.

Wiki's writer (plagiarist?) doesn't even know when the cartridge was introduced. It is shown in the 1896 Stevens catalog, mentioned in the 1895 Ideal handbook, and my sideplate Favorite was made in 1894 or earlier, possibly as early as 1892.
    Do you know that you can submit edits to Wikipedia. You can make it better, I do.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Do you know that you can submit edits to Wikipedia. You can make it better, I do.

Tim
    I know in principle, but have no idea how to go about it.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Sorry, I'm late to the party, I don't look at this forum too often. Since I was mentioned earlier, I thought you guys might be interested in this two part video I made in the 25 Stevens.

The first part shows how I convert .22 Hornet brass to .25 Stevens centerfire.

https://youtu.be/y_9G-FqDdKk?si=l8Rxcl_Fl5B_9yts

The second part shows how I convert them from centerfire to rimfire.

https://youtu.be/GsEV8MwXDu8?si=R8NHU_v5Z2X6Jmh6

Note: in part 2 I use a drill press to drill the rim recess. This works fine, I've done hundreds of cases this way. But I've since gone to drilling the rim recessusung the lathe because it is faster and more consistent.

Hope you find these helpful.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Sorry, I'm late to the party, I don't look at this forum too often. Since I was mentioned earlier, I thought you guys might be interested in this two part video I made in the 25 Stevens.

The first part shows how I convert .22 Hornet brass to .25 Stevens centerfire.

https://youtu.be/y_9G-FqDdKk?si=l8Rxcl_Fl5B_9yts

The second part shows how I convert them from centerfire to rimfire.

https://youtu.be/GsEV8MwXDu8?si=R8NHU_v5Z2X6Jmh6

Note: in part 2 I use a drill press to drill the rim recess. This works fine, I've done hundreds of cases this way. But I've since gone to drilling the rim recessusung the lathe because it is faster and more consistent.

Hope you find these helpful.
    Steve
    I have seen those and certainly recommend those who are interested in getting a .25 rim fire shooting again to watch. Helped me down the rabbit hole. Lol

Boolit Bub
    I know this thread is a few months old but now I'm trying to shoot an old Stevens. I've got another post asking about what powder to use. It seems 4227 should be the answer. Now not to stir any hornets nests but I slugged my bore and get .251/.252. I've slugged a few bores before but not this small could I be doing something wrong? I drove a .310 round ball through and read it with my calipers at .251. When I set the calipers to .257 I can spin the slug between to jaws without it touching. I'm needing to buy some boolits but now you have me nervous.

Boolit Master

From what Ive seen, Stevens 25s run on the tight side. I have a .25-25 that runs .253" groove size. If yours is around .251" uou can use .25scp bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Update- I drove a boolit from my 25-21 down the bore and read it with my micrometer and now I get .256-.257 I'm guessing my calipers were giving me a false reading on the small round ball or I messed it up driving it through. 257 it will be. A better bullet selection there anyway. I'm thinking my 86 grain 25-21 boolits will be a tad heavy.

Boolit Master

The Bullshop has some lighter .25 cal bullets. I use the in my two .25 Stevens rifles.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you. The website is a little ***** but I'll try to get ahold of him.

If you've actually got a .25 RF that small I want it, because I've never yet seen one. I still think they're a myth. (I think I have 7 .25s now, none less than .256", and the UMC factory drawings Tom Rowe published in his latest book call for a .257 bullet.)

4227 is about right. I've fired a few with Blue Dot and 2400. Charge weight depends on what gun you have and what cases you're using.. Crackshots with modified Hornet cases I would not do over 4 grains of 4227 with a 65 grain bullet. A 1915 Favorite maybe 4.5 grains tops.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    A Stevens 1894 Favorite followed me home. It's in really good shape with a shiny bore. It even came with the bicycle case. I've got a good supply of IMR 4227. Once I round up supplies I'll start with 3 grains and work up till I get to between 900 and 1000 fps across the crono. Thanks for the help.

The twist is only 1 in 17, so 65 grain bullets will be a better bet as far as accuracy goes.

Don't seat those 86 grainers any deeper than you absolutely have to. They'll use up powder space which will raise pressure. Even 4 grains looks OK in Quickload if you're using reformed Hornet brass. More is ?????

Does the Favorite lock up tight? The link in the '94 model is none too strong.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    The 1894 locks up like a bank vault. This one has the spring plunger to take up slack that my other Stevens don't have. I disassembled it to deep clean it and checked to make sure it wasn't the plunger making snap shut. All the pins and holes are tight. With the barrel cranked down tight the lever gets very tight. I think I found one that didn't see much use.

Lucky you! One in a million! And you obviously know what you're doing.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast