Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder coating

Boolit Mold

Powder coating

What is the best toaster oven for powder coating? I have a farberware but it won't go above 275°f.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky49 View Post
    What is the best toaster oven for powder coating? I have a farberware but it won't go above 275°f.
    Medium size toaster oven is ok. You want to look for convection air flow as an option or a feature. Convection is airflow inside the oven and helps with even distribution of heat inside the oven. The bullet baskets can be fabricated out of one quarter inch hardware cloth cut it with tin snips and use your leather gloves to fold the metal in.

As long as the PC passes the smash test, you are getting them hot enough.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    You want an oven that will get to 400F. That is where most powders are designed to be baked.

As above, a convection oven is nice since it keeps the temps more consistent inside, but, I baked thousands of bullets in a cheap, used Black and Decker toaster oven. That thing had a temp dial that was exact. First time I'd seen that on a cheap oven. My more expensive convection oven, with digital controls, is off by about 25deg. I set it at 375 to get the inside at 400F.

I look for any oven that has 4 elements 2 on top and 2 on the bottom with a fan. The fan can then be wired to run continuously if it cycles.
    Thats what I like.

Boolit Master

At least 400F is what I usually bake
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    While powder coat will melt and "look" good, and perhaps work "ok" at lower temps than 400°F, I suspect since the folks who manuf the Powder Coat product has a good understanding how to get the strongest bond. The manuf'ing folks say 400°F, so why not use what they recommend?

I bought a conv air pizza oven from Wally, $50 on sale. It works great, two shelves & holds 400deg well, though the dial setting is about 50deg off.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I use one I bought at Walmart for $20. You will need a thermometer as the thermostats are never right. Plan to let the oven warm up to 400 degrees before inserting boolits.

Jim

Boolit Master

▲ what he said

bought a $19 toaster oven at wallyworld--still in use 10 years later

did change out the solid rack for a wire one

did build a PID to keep the temp at ±1° (building it was fun)

use pizza racks cut down to the size of trays for bullets. bent sides up to contain bullets

It's amazing how many it will hold at one time.

mine has a small footprint and is easy to set up/tear down when the baking session is done

I like PC cause you can do a bunch at the same time as the old Lyman sizer/luber 450

use Lee push though mounted on upside down press to size--easy to put a bullet into the sizing die rather than try to balance on a small ram on top of the ram
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Like Jim said, get a good thermometer. The dial on my oven is a good 50 degrees off and when set to 400 it was in the 450 range. Worst one I've seen but the oven has even heat. The numbers on the dial are more of a suggestion than actual temp. You can ruin a batch of boolits due to slumping pretty quickly. I bought a Cooper brand and it appears to be a good one. I bake at about 390-400 max for 20 min using non stick foil.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    its been a wile sense I posted on here
    just getting into powder coating so its a learning curve
    lots of great info so far
    first question; on rifle boolets ,, do they need to be standing up or just tossed in the basket like pistol boolets
    does it make a difference

Thanks

Doc

If you just plop them in the oven, a second coat should get most of all the bearing surfaces.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ovendoctor View Post
    its been a wile sense I posted on here
    just getting into powder coating so its a learning curve
    lots of great info so far
    first question; on rifle boolets ,, do they need to be standing up or just tossed in the basket like pistol boolets
    does it make a difference

Thanks

Doc
    Depends on the accuracy you are looking for. Some of us it does make a difference. Mine are all carefully stood up (in a rack) and are not touching. But, I also size some of my bullets (bore riders) 4 times. Size base (with gas check), size nose, coat and bake, size base, size nose. Ready to weigh and load. I also weigh and sort into 0.1gn batches. When shooting to longer ranges it makes a difference.

If you just need 'hunting' or 'plinking' accuracy you could just batch bake.