Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Buddy’s Rossi 357 and Customer Service Report

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I've not seen the windage adjustable rear sights. I've got a Marbles "short" semi-buckhorn on my Winchester 94.
    About halfway down the page on the left. They work great with a fiber optic front, I'm planning to convert a few of my rifles to this setup.

http://www.marblearms.com/rear-sights.html
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

You'd know if your case bulge when you sight in with the ammo.
    I plan on getting to the range on Thursday to check it out, pretty sure the windage will be close but I expect it to hit high.
    If it bulges the cases I won't like it, but it won't bother me too much as I don't use that much .357 ammo.

Thanks for the link, will check later.

After dropping the rear sight one position, I'm good with it. At fifty yards, the front sight almost covers the paper plate!

Yes, I cut my thumb on that circled sharp corner of the bolt! I'll hit both sides of that with a file.

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    If your loads are hitting high Probably going with a Higher front sight would be easiest thing to do if you are still Hitting to high.

Here is a Link to a members method to Lighten up the Loading gate tension .
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ion-1892-Rifle
    Watch the whole video,may give you some ideas
    I have not done it yet but will when I find my lost Dremel tool !

If bullet is not wanting to go into rifle magazine ,IE feels like it just wont push in any farther then try Keeping your thumb on the primer end of the case and forefinger on forward part of round, wiggleing the end of the case while pushing in at the same time.Not as good as removing tension from the Loading gate spring I would not think, but until you do that it sure does help.
    How did you manage to get your thumb cut on the bottom of the bolt that you have circled?
    It is easier to forgive than to dispose of a body.

Yes, there is visible bulge. No, I didn't measure it. I don't think it will be an issue if reloading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cropped IMG_3869.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	320638

Yes, I'm going to bevel that loading port edge.

Thanks for the range report. Did the 357 cases bulge at the web? and if so, how much?

Now that it's drawn blood, does that mean you'll never be able to swap it off?

My buddies Rossi has an extremely strong loading gate spring, and the inside edges of the loading port are razor sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by fotog54 View Post
    Thanks for the link, will check later.

After dropping the rear sight one position, I'm good with it. At fifty yards, the front sight almost covers the paper plate!

Yes, I cut my thumb on that circled sharp corner of the bolt! I'll hit both sides of that with a file.
    It will still bite if you have your hand in the wrong place when you operate the lever.
    I really lacerated myself good when I was admiring my Henry .45-70.
    I was watching TV and had the rifles butt on my thigh, holding it by the wrist of the stock, then I operated the lever quite smartly with the other hand.
    The bad part about it was I didn't learn my lesson the first time, I had to do it twice.

I cut my thumb just by dragging my thumb across that sharp edge, not from moving the lever!

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    It will still bite if you have your hand in the wrong place when you operate the lever.
    I was watching TV and had the rifles butt on my thigh, holding it by the wrist of the stock, then I operated the lever quite smartly with the other hand.
    The bad part about it was I didn't learn my lesson the first time, I had to do it twice.

I cut my thumb just by dragging my thumb across that sharp edge, not from moving the lever!
    Yeh, that is a little sharp.
    That edges on my Rossi are sharp, but not that bad.
    I have to work at it a bit to get lacerated on mine, of course with my skin like tissue paper anymore it does not take much.
    My dog can leave me bleeding pretty good when shes in a playful mood.

Yes, there is visible bulge. No, I didn't measure it. I don't think it will be an issue if reloading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cropped IMG_3869.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	320638

Yes, I'm going to bevel that loading port edge.
    Hmm, I've had brass from a variety of different guns that looks like that, especially thin wall pistol cartridges like .32 and .380 Auto. In my case at least, the case mouths always crack well before the bulge causes any problems and I've run them pretty hot. May want to try different brass next time. In any event, if the cases resize ok and you get a fair number of loadings out of them I wouldn't worry about it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

These were Factory PMC 357magnum, they are from South Korea. I have not ventured into reloading .357 magnum no real need to. Out of the Rossi they averaged 1711 fps. 125grn plated bullet. Probably not the thickest brass.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Hmm, I've had brass from a variety of different guns that looks like that, especially thin wall pistol cartridges like .32 and .380 Auto. In my case at least, the case mouths always crack well before the bulge causes any problems and I've run them pretty hot. May want to try different brass next time. In any event, if the cases resize ok and you get a fair number of loadings out of them I wouldn't worry about it.

That sounds a bit on the hot side to me, and lighter .357 factory loads have a reputation for that. So, it wouldn't really be surprising to get some bulging. I would advise you to reload the .357 and tailor the load to your rifle. Decent .357 ammo is almost the same price as centerfire rifle ammo if you can even find it around here. If you ever decide to, I would be happy to share a handful of Lee 359-125's with you. My Marlin and Rossi love 'em.

I made it to the range today to check the sights on my .357 Rossi, 870 Remington and .45-70 Henry X.
    I had to do a bit of tweaking on the 870, the Henry I had to adjust the rear sight, it was pretty close on windage but way low, much to my delight, it took two full turns of elevation to get it to hit center of target at 50 yards about all my 72-year-old eyes can handle. Why am I happy I had to adjust it? Well, I can now see it clearly about the rail I installed for the scope! Now I can use my Henry .45-70 both with scope and without.
    I also zeroed the scope at 100 yards.
    Now about the Rossi .357, you know, the one everyone hates.
    Anyway, I fired three rounds of the Hornady Lever Evolution it was dead on at 50 yards without any adjustment, I was happy and left it alone at that point.
    Well, I had three fired .357 Hornady cases from the model 92 Rossi, I thought I would try a little test with those cases.
    I tried them in three revolvers, a S&W 686, a Uberti Cattleman .357, and a Ruger New model Blackhawk in .357.
    This was with no resizing, just the way they were fired.
    They were tight in all three revolvers but went in the easiest in the Ruger.
    I don't know what to tell you, perhaps there was a bad run of Rossi's, perhaps I got a fluke, I don't know.
    I am pretty happy with the one I have.

I made it to the range today to check the sights on my .357 Rossi, 870 Remington and .45-70 Henry X.
    I had to do a bit of tweaking on the 870, the Henry I had to adjust the rear sight, it was pretty close on windage but way low, much to my delight, it took two full turns of elevation to get it to hit center of target at 50 yards about all my 72-year-old eyes can handle. Why am I happy I had to adjust it? Well, I can now see it clearly about the rail I installed for the scope! Now I can use my Henry .45-70 both with scope and without.
    Anyway, I fired three rounds of the Hornady Lever Evolution it was dead on at 50 yards without any adjustment, I was happy and left it alone at that point.
    Well, I had three fired .357 Hornady cases from the model 92 Rossi, I thought I would try a little test with those cases.
    I tried them in three revolvers, a S&W 686, a Uberti Cattleman .357, and a Ruger New model Blackhawk in .357.
    I don't know what to tell you, perhaps there was a bad run of Rossi's, perhaps I got a fluke, I don't know.
    Thanks for the report. Good to know that some of the Rossis getting out are good ones. I'd take one in a heartbeat if I ran across one at a good price. I'm a Winchester 92 fan though.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    In the last couple of years I've bought six of the new CBC Rossi 92's, thay have all been gerat.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Sounds like your chamber might be a bit large but still within spec. The fact that the shells will fit in your other guns is a good sign. If you are happy with it I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I really wish Rossi would get a grip on their quality control, and their customer service.

Would really like to buy one, but I just can't make the decision to take the chance on getting a big lemon.

I watched with interest "Target Suite " on You-tube with his struggles with Rossi R92 in .44 magnum. Oversize chamber, oversize groove diameter, and the lands were not getting a good grip on retrieved solid copper bullets.

His experience with customer service was not encouraging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    I’ll never have another Rossi. Bought an M92 in 45 Colt years ago. Would not reliably feed a Lee 255 or a Hornady 250 or 300 XTP. Groups at 50 yards ranged from 5-15 inches. I loaded it low and slow and up to Ruger rated loads with a variety of bullets. It also bulged the brass to the point you could visually spot the Rossi brass vs Ruger fired brass. Removed the forestock to apply wax and found the channel for the barrel and magazine tube had a gash between them. Called Rossi and they wouldn’t make it good because the warranty had expired. Tried to explain this wasn’t from abuse or fair wear and tear but a manufacturers issue. That was the last straw. Took it to a pawn shop and passed on my problem to someone else. There’s a fellow named Steve whose name keeps popping up on the internet that’s said to do remarkable things tuning the Rossi copy of the 92, slicking them up for the Cowboy action crowd. I maintain if the Rossi’s were any good, Steve wouldn’t have found this niche and excellent reputation making a shoddy product to the condition it should have been when it left the factory
    I can attest and relate to all these things mentioned with my own R92 stainless 16" 357 mag that I bought NIB from local gun shop in 2016. My rifle had front sight dovetail cut off centerline, canted a couple degrees to the left when shouldering rifle. Rear sight dovetail cut grossly oversized, something like .395" IIRC. Cavernous chamber--it bulged some brass to the point of splitting on first firing. Bore was rough and slightly oversized similar to the reports that I've read about the R92s in 44 mag. There were several other small things also that aren't worth mentioning, but I can assure all that read this, I will never have another Rossi/Braztech firearm based off my experience with Rossi Customer Service(or rather total lack thereof) and with the gentleman mentioned in Texas that is a supposed Rossi 92 "wizard" or "Guru" whom which I had several somewhat heated conversations about my particular rifle and the problems that it had at the time. I did end up buying several parts from the man to improve and "fix" the rifle, including a custom built rear sight assembly with an oversized dovetail in the hopes that would fix the rear sight problem. However, when the custom rear sight didn't work and I contacted him again about the next step to take in getting the rifle fixed and I asked the question would the barrel need to be replaced, he became verbally agitated with me and then turned "non-responsive" to any further communications that I tried to have with him. That for me was "game over" with that man.
    I subsequently gathered all the items needed to fix the rifle, including a Green Mountain SS .357" barrel blank and sent it off to M&M Gunsmithing in Hazel Green, Alabama where Mr. McClellan took his time and replaced the barrel, new sights, drilled and tapped the receiver and fixed a few other odds and ends for a very reasonable price. All in all, I got almost as much in parts and labor as I originally paid for the rifle.....So, what's Your money worth to You?? Best bet is to pony up and buy a Marlin or (Miroku) Winchester (I have one of each) because they'd be cheaper in the long run and a lot less headache.

Quote Originally Posted by bones37 View Post
    I can attest and relate to all these things mentioned with my own R92 stainless 16" 357 mag that I bought NIB from local gun shop in 2016. My rifle had front sight dovetail cut off centerline, canted a couple degrees to the left when shouldering rifle. Rear sight dovetail cut grossly oversized, something like .395" IIRC. Cavernous chamber--it bulged some brass to the point of splitting on first firing. Bore was rough and slightly oversized similar to the reports that I've read about the R92s in 44 mag. There were several other small things also that aren't worth mentioning, but I can assure all that read this, I will never have another Rossi/Braztech firearm based off my experience with Rossi Customer Service(or rather total lack thereof) and with the gentleman mentioned in Texas that is a supposed Rossi 92 "wizard" or "Guru" whom which I had several somewhat heated conversations about my particular rifle and the problems that it had at the time. I did end up buying several parts from the man to improve and "fix" the rifle, including a custom built rear sight assembly with an oversized dovetail in the hopes that would fix the rear sight problem. However, when the custom rear sight didn't work and I contacted him again about the next step to take in getting the rifle fixed and I asked the question would the barrel need to be replaced, he became verbally agitated with me and then turned "non-responsive" to any further communications that I tried to have with him. That for me was "game over" with that man.
    I subsequently gathered all the items needed to fix the rifle, including a Green Mountain SS .357" barrel blank and sent it off to M&M Gunsmithing in Hazel Green, Alabama where Mr. McClellan took his time and replaced the barrel, new sights, drilled and tapped the receiver and fixed a few other odds and ends for a very reasonable price. All in all, I got almost as much in parts and labor as I originally paid for the rifle.....So, what's Your money worth to You?? Best bet is to pony up and buy a Marlin or (Miroku) Winchester (I have one of each) because they'd be cheaper in the long run and a lot less headache.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I would very much like to have a Rossi, if it was a case that someone else had it and could attest it was without issue. But to buy a new one is too much of a gamble for me.

I looked at one the last time I was in the gun store actually, it was in 44 Mag. It didn't have any obvious issues other than the stock was ill fitted at the wrist - grossly undersized to the metal.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by bones37 View Post
    Thanks so much. As I have said before, I would not have played the Rossi slot machine if I didn't know that my dealer would back me up 100%. The dials came up cherries for me so I'm happy.

Boolit Grand Master
    I got my Rossi from Navy Arms decades ago. Stainless, octagonal 24" barrel. Bit fussy feeding 357mag at times, but feeds 38spcl just fine. Probably need to do a bit of tune up on it, but cases come out fine and can't see any bulging. Will agree about the loading gate. Spring is a lot stouter than on my 92's and edges are a bit sharp but not to where any blood has been shed. All in all, decent rifle

Boolit Master
    I got my Rossi 454 Puma about 15 years ago slightly used. It's blue with a black wood stock and loads from either the loading gate or from the tube mag like a 22lr. I shoot a Lee 300gr cast at just under 2000 fps. I removed the safety switch and made a peep sight to fit the hole. It has worked smooth, doesn't have sharp edges and the fit and finish is ok. My full house loads don't show any bulging or excess swelling. The loading gate spring is a bit stiff but it is workable but I usually load from the loading slot in the mag tube and unload by pulling the inner tube and dumping the rounds out the front of the mag tube. I really like my Rossi.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast