Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Buddy’s Rossi 357 and Customer Service Report

Quote Originally Posted by fotog54 View Post
    I’m expecting a R92 38/.357 stainless to show up Thursday or Friday. I’ll give an unboxing report. If the weather is good I’ll take it to the range on Monday.
    I hope you have a great one!

I do love them when they don't have issues. The 92 is such a great design, fast handling and light, and superbly balanced.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    I have two stainless 16" and one blue, all of them are great. I love the little rascals. I do put Miroku 92 ejector springs in all of them, makes a world of difference. Numerich has the springs.
    Last edited by r80rt; 12-02-2023 at 09:24 AM.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I wonder what amount of the winchester parts will fit a rossi?
    Twenty years ago I rebarreled a Winchester 92 with a .44 magnum Rossi barrel- it fit perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks TbG.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Man
    I’m expecting a R92 38/.357 stainless to show up Thursday or Friday. I’ll give an unboxing report. If the weather is good I’ll take it to the range on Monday.
    A new one ?

My understanding is that the newer ones within the past several years internals have changed somewhat.

You can smooth them up yourself if you enjoy that.

Thing's like Changing or C,utting or using different ejecter springs(as they come the Factory they will toss the empties between 1 and 2 counties away) ,shortening Magazine tube spring to help with ease of loading and hold another round or 2,cutting the loading gate to make it depress easier and therefore making it easier to depress the loading gate when
    loading the the gun.
    A general smoothing up,Lightening the trigger if it is way to heavy.

Refinishing the stock etc.

Do not dissasembe the rifle Until you have watched several youtbe videos THOROUGHLY again and again.
    Then watch again and again until you figure out how it work's.

Even at that, even if you dont cuss you will learn how before you get it back together.
    If by chance you already cuss then you will learn NEW cuss words before you get it back together !

But you will like it as It is a short light rifle if got in a 20 inch barreled version and lighter still if you got the 16 inch barreled Carbine like I got.

Hope you enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    A new one ?

My understanding is that the newer ones within the past several years internals have changed somewhat.

Thing's like Changing or C,utting or using different ejecter springs(as they come the Factory they will toss the empties between 1 and 2 counties away) ,shortening Magazine tube spring to help with ease of loading and hold another round or 2,cutting the loading gate to make it depress easier and therefore making it easier to depress the loading gate when
    loading the the gun.

Do not dissasembe the rifle Until you have watched several youtbe videos THOROUGHLY again and again.

Even at that, even if you dont cuss you will learn how before you get it back together.
    If by chance you already cuss then you will learn NEW cuss words before you get it back together !

But you will like it as It is a short light rifle if got in a 20 inch barreled version and lighter still if you got the 16 inch barreled Carbine like I got.

Hope you enjoy it
    LOL, my buddies rifle sends his empties farther than that... more like low earth orbit!

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    TO35- the gun will work without the safety, and there is a peep sight that will replace the safety. You won't need to drill and tap. Google Steves gunz If you have a lathe, you can easily make one.
    Here's the one I made for my 45 Colt.
    Nice work.

Boolit Man
    A lot of videos on youtube
    Here is the easiest one for me to understand so far
    https://youtu.be/zDaACsj8K-o?si=YQUwX-UZ0l_UOE8y

Yes, new in box, ordered from Kentucky Gun. (20" stainless version) Picked it up at a local FFL yesterday afternoon. Looks great, wood looks great. Fit and finish look fine. Action was smooth but it was a little short on lubrication so I put a few drops of oil in obvious areas. If the rain lets up on Monday I'll head to the range and try it out with both .38 and 357 rounds. I want to chrono some of my .38 loads in a rifle.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    A new one ?

loading the the gun.

Hope you enjoy it
    Last edited by fotog54; 12-02-2023 at 03:15 PM.
    It is easier to forgive than to dispose of a body.

Boolit Man
    Yes, new in box, ordered from Kentucky Gun. (20" stainless version) Picked it up at a local FFL yesterday afternoon. Looks great, wood looks great. Fit and finish look fine. Action was smooth but it was a little short on lubrication so I put a few drops of oil in obvious areas. If the rain lets up on Monday I'll head to the range and try it out with both .38 and 357 rounds. I want to chrono some of my .38 loads in a rifle.

Lee
    Congrats on the new rifle !
    Definetly interested in hearing about your 38 Special info and result's.
    If you ever want to shoot Any Factory 38 Special to plink with you can buy HSM 38 Special 158 gr RNFP from Sportsmans Warehouse that feed just fine from mine.
    They show a velocity of approximately 850 FPS taken from a a 5.5 inch Pistol barrel,Dont know the velocity from my Carbine is as I don't have a Chronograph ,uses Titegroup Powder.Uses Starline Brass and Bullets are 15 BHN .Cost from the store was about 35 Bucks per box of 50 which included the 7 % Tax in Ms.

I have also included a Link that Shows a very interesting Bullet performance for a Remington 38 Special 158 Grain Lead Hollowpoint +P that shows at less than 1,100 FPS from a rifle with Fantastic Bullet Performance.

I figure that it should Make a Great Home defense load as it will be subsonic to be easier on the ears in the unlikely event that it would ever be needed.
    And should be just fine for short range deer hunting from your 20 inch Carbine.

Downside is I had to order them online and they ended up about 22 bucks for a box of 20 round's
    https://youtu.be/EKnmMN167PA?si=eQUGQOHa57Yk0USg

I have a new Rossi .357 magnum rifle.
    I have never fired anything but .38 special out it so far.
    I would normally only use it with the specials I load, but as fate would have it, one of my neighbors invited me to go deer hunting.
    That is pretty exciting to me as I would never go knocking on someone's door to ask permission to hunt, being invited is another matter!
    I went out and bought a couple boxes of .357 magnum Lever evolution rounds for my rifle. If I get a shot, I guess I will see if the cases bulge.
    There wasn't much of a selection, the only .357 ammo I could find.
    I could use some of my reloads but most of them made over 20 years ago.
    Anyway if I get a deer or not, I know I will have a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I have a new Rossi .357 magnum rifle.
    I have never fired anything but .38 special out it so far.
    I would normally only use it with the specials I load, but as fate would have it, one of my neighbors invited me to go deer hunting.
    That is pretty exciting to me as I would never go knocking on someone's door to ask permission to hunt, being invited is another matter!
    I went out and bought a couple boxes of .357 magnum Lever evolution rounds for my rifle. If I get a shot, I guess I will see if the cases bulge.
    There wasn't much of a selection, the only .357 ammo I could find.
    I could use some of my reloads but most of them made over 20 years ago.
    Anyway if I get a deer or not, I know I will have a lot of fun!
    You'd know if your case bulge when you sight in with the ammo.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Lee
    Yes, Congratulations!

Lead Alloy Calculator

So I spent a couple of hours at the range today. Had the whole range to myself, a private club and I'm a member. Start off by stating this is my first real lever action rifle, not counting BB guns! I shot about 100 rounds, a mixture of my 38 reloads and some factory 38 Special and .357 magnums. It wasn't perfect but after about 30 rounds I didn't have any actual shooting issues.

It shot a bit high and lowered the rear sight 1 notch and that pretty much put the point of impact right on at 50 yards.

Now about that loading gate.... Holy crap! There is no way in hades that gun needs to ship with such a stupidly strong loading gate spring! Seriously, I gave up trying to get 10 rounds in it! I shot in 4 or 5 round groups, one time I got 7 in. If you accidently let the gate fully close, you're pretty much done till you empty the magazine.

Also found some sharp edges and I'll share the pic of my bloody thumb!

But I like it! Needs some TLC, I'm retired but I was an airline mechanic, then a Field Service tech for medical equipment so I'm not afraid to take it apart and smooth it up. Lots of videos on YT for help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02Rossi Range Trip 04Dec2023.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	320608

Name:	03Rossi Range Trip 04Dec2023.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	320609

Name:	01Rossi Range Trip 04Dec2023.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	320610

Name:	04Rossi Range Trip 04Dec2023.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	320611
    It is easier to forgive than to dispose of a body.

Boolit Master

My favorite method to smooth up parts is using ceramic flat sharpening stones or the round ceramic sticks depending on the shape/size of the part to be polished up.

Sometimes 1500 to 2000 grit wet sand paper stretched flat and tight on a piece of hardwood or similar flat and square base.

The a nice buffing with a dremel tool using one of the small felt wheels and some Mother's mag polish.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    So I spent a couple of hours at the range today. Had the whole range to myself, a private club and I'm a member. Start off by stating this is my first real lever action rifle, not counting BB guns! I shot about 100 rounds, a mixture of my 38 reloads and some factory 38 Special and .357 magnums. It wasn't perfect but after about 30 rounds I didn't have any actual shooting issues.

It shot a bit high and lowered the rear sight 1 notch and that pretty much put the point of impact right on at 50 yards.

Now about that loading gate.... Holy crap! There is no way in hades that gun needs to ship with such a stupidly strong loading gate spring! Seriously, I gave up trying to get 10 rounds in it! I shot in 4 or 5 round groups, one time I got 7 in. If you accidently let the gate fully close, you're pretty much done till you empty the magazine.

Also found some sharp edges and I'll share the pic of my bloody thumb!

But I like it! Needs some TLC, I'm retired but I was an airline mechanic, then a Field Service tech for medical equipment so I'm not afraid to take it apart and smooth it up. Lots of videos on YT for help.

Name:	02Rossi Range Trip 04Dec2023.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	320608

Name:	03Rossi Range Trip 04Dec2023.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	320609

Name:	01Rossi Range Trip 04Dec2023.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	320610

Name:	04Rossi Range Trip 04Dec2023.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	320611
    Sweet! FYI, Lyman and Marbles make windage adjustable folding leaf sights that work really well, I have one on my Henry .45-70.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Thanks for the range report. Did the 357 cases bulge at the web? and if so, how much?

Now that it's drawn blood, does that mean you'll never be able to swap it off?

My buddies Rossi has an extremely strong loading gate spring, and the inside edges of the loading port are razor sharp.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Sweet! FYI, Lyman and Marbles make windage adjustable folding leaf sights that work really well, I have one on my Henry .45-70.
    I've not seen the windage adjustable rear sights. I've got a Marbles "short" semi-buckhorn on my Winchester 94.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Man
    If your loads are hitting high Probably going with a Higher front sight would be easiest thing to do if you are still Hitting to high.

Here is a Link to a members method to Lighten up the Loading gate tension .
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ion-1892-Rifle
    Watch the whole video,may give you some ideas
    I have not done it yet but will when I find my lost Dremel tool !

If bullet is not wanting to go into rifle magazine ,IE feels like it just wont push in any farther then try Keeping your thumb on the primer end of the case and forefinger on forward part of round, wiggleing the end of the case while pushing in at the same time.Not as good as removing tension from the Loading gate spring I would not think, but until you do that it sure does help.
    How did you manage to get your thumb cut on the bottom of the bolt that you have circled?
    Last edited by bcraig; 12-05-2023 at 08:37 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Thanks for the range report. Did the 357 cases bulge at the web? and if so, how much?

Now that it's drawn blood, does that mean you'll never be able to swap it off?

My buddies Rossi has an extremely strong loading gate spring, and the inside edges of the loading port are razor sharp.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ion-1892-Rifle

Interesting Link from a Member here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast