Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Buddy’s Rossi 357 and Customer Service Report

I'd love to find a clean Rossi in 357 or 45 colt. The horror stories of their customer service though, and the spotty quality I've seen on their rifles keeps me from really acting on it.

I have a new Winchester 92 in 44 Magnum, of course, it's 4 times the cost of a Rossi but it shows in the quality and workmanship. I wish I could run into a well-loved Browning 92 sometime.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I'd love to find a clean Rossi in 357 or 45 colt. The horror stories of their customer service though, and the spotty quality I've seen on their rifles keeps me from really acting on it.

I have a new Winchester 92 in 44 Magnum, of course, it's 4 times the cost of a Rossi but it shows in the quality and workmanship. I wish I could run into a well-loved Browning 92 sometime.
    Bazoo, I also have a new Winchester/Miroku 1892 in .44 Magnum. Does your rifle seem to have a short throat? Mine is a beautiful rifle, with a .429" groove diameter, but the throat is about .030" shorter than my other .44 lever-actions.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Bazoo, I also have a new Winchester/Miroku 1892 in .44 Magnum. Does your rifle seem to have a short throat? Mine is a beautiful rifle, with a .429" groove diameter, but the throat is about .030" shorter than my other .44 lever-actions.
    I'm not sure. I haven't had the chance to try a lot of different bullets in it. I've tried the Ranch Dog 432-265-RF bullet in magnum cases, and it does just fine.

I've also tried the RCBS 44-240-SWC and 44-250-K but neither will feed through the gun. If I recall, the 44-240-SWC will chamber, just not feed, But I don't remember about the other. Both feed flawlessly in special cases though, and since I use them in my Ruger Blackhawk 44 Special, I always have them handy.

I have 2 Lee moulds to try, the 429-200-RF and the 429-240-2R, but not cast undersized and I haven't done anything with them yet. I'll likely powdercoat them.

My bore measures .4302 on its largest and a smidge less than .430 on the other 2. The 44-250-K bullets I've fired were sized .430, and they shot clean.

I'm wanting to try the Lee 430-310-RF, that should be interesting.

My Turnbull finished Winchester 1892, 44 Magnum.

Lead Alloy Calculator

I have 4 Rossi lever's. Two in 357/38, a 454 Casull and a 45/70. All work really well so far. One has a little rough chamber but shoots really accurate. My two Winchesters/Miroku 44 mag and 45 Cot are awesome rifles. Love the Winchesters but can't afford too many of them.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Grand Master
    This is enough info to keep me from ever getting one. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The owner of my local shop is threatening to retire soon, so I doubt I'll ever own another Rossi 92 unless it's practically giveaway price. The fact that there are multiple reports of rifles coming back from service with the exact same defects is very worrisome. I will enjoy the one I already have though!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I really wish Rossi would get a grip on their quality control, and their customer service.

Would really like to buy one, but I just can't make the decision to take the chance on getting a big lemon.

I watched with interest "Target Suite " on You-tube with his struggles with Rossi R92 in .44 magnum. Oversize chamber, oversize groove diameter, and the lands were not getting a good grip on retrieved solid copper bullets.

His experience with customer service was not encouraging.

I have a 92 in 357, it's so much better than the 94 AE in 357 I had, couldn't wait to sell the winchester, wouldn't part with the Rossi.I also have a pre 64 94 in 30/30 and that one is a dandy after spending more than $100 dollars on parts at homestead but when I'm going plinking it's the rossi that comes out the door with me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new toy.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	320390
    The winchester is the one with the red dot on, subsequently sold the red dot as I couldn't get on with it.

I’ll never have another Rossi. Bought an M92 in 45 Colt years ago. Would not reliably feed a Lee 255 or a Hornady 250 or 300 XTP. Groups at 50 yards ranged from 5-15 inches. I loaded it low and slow and up to Ruger rated loads with a variety of bullets. It also bulged the brass to the point you could visually spot the Rossi brass vs Ruger fired brass. Removed the forestock to apply wax and found the channel for the barrel and magazine tube had a gash between them. Called Rossi and they wouldn’t make it good because the warranty had expired. Tried to explain this wasn’t from abuse or fair wear and tear but a manufacturers issue. That was the last straw. Took it to a pawn shop and passed on my problem to someone else. There’s a fellow named Steve whose name keeps popping up on the internet that’s said to do remarkable things tuning the Rossi copy of the 92, slicking them up for the Cowboy action crowd. I maintain if the Rossi’s were any good, Steve wouldn’t have found this niche and excellent reputation making a shoddy product to the condition it should have been when it left the factory

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I really wish Rossi would get a grip on their quality control, and their customer service.

Would really like to buy one, but I just can't make the decision to take the chance on getting a big lemon.

I watched with interest "Target Suite " on You-tube with his struggles with Rossi R92 in .44 magnum. Oversize chamber, oversize groove diameter, and the lands were not getting a good grip on retrieved solid copper bullets.

His experience with customer service was not encouraging.
    Real world prices on Henry's are coming down, and the Ruglin 1894's are supposedly in production now. Both of these marques have the best customer service in the business. No need to play the Rossi slot machine.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by braddock View Post
    I have a 92 in 357, it's so much better than the 94 AE in 357 I had, couldn't wait to sell the winchester, wouldn't part with the Rossi.I also have a pre 64 94 in 30/30 and that one is a dandy after spending more than $100 dollars on parts at homestead but when I'm going plinking it's the rossi that comes out the door with me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new toy.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	320390
    The winchester is the one with the red dot on, subsequently sold the red dot as I couldn't get on with it.
    How would you even get warranty service on a Rossi where you live? Does the company have an actual presence in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    How would you even get warranty service on a Rossi where you live? Does the company have an actual presence in the UK?
    About like getting parts for a Winchester or Marlin I'd reckon... hard as heck.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought a new Rossi 92 357. Am very pleased with it. Action is far smoother than I ever expected. Even has about a third of the screws timed. Wood to metal fit is excellent. Wood color is not as red as many I've seen. Will see how it functions and shoots and report back

I doubt any thought went into timing 1/3 d of the screws.

Boolit Master

The chamber and lands and grooves specs. are what really bothers me.

I can polish and smooth up the action, and tweek and tune on the feed of cartridges, but overly large-rough chambers and generous groove diameters on some .44's is something I don't want to deal with.

Went through that with the 38/55 Winchesters, having .378"-.380" grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    About like getting parts for a Winchester or Marlin I'd reckon... hard as heck.
    The good thing about those rifles is that there are tons of used parts available, not so much for Rossi.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    I just bought a new Rossi 92 357. Am very pleased with it. Action is far smoother than I ever expected. Even has about a third of the screws timed. Wood to metal fit is excellent. Wood color is not as red as many I've seen. Will see how it functions and shoots and report back
    I really hope it works out for you. I'm quite happy so far with my 92, so far it functions and shoots as good as my 1981 Marlin .357. Both my .357's really like the Lee 125 and 158 grain slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    The good thing about those rifles is that there are tons of used parts available, not so much for Rossi.
    I wonder what amount of the winchester parts will fit a rossi?

Lead Alloy Calculator

Far as I understand, the Rossi is mostly true to the original design but there's probably going to be alot of dimensional difference. I would assume Rossi uses the metric system on them.

I’m expecting a R92 38/.357 stainless to show up Thursday or Friday. I’ll give an unboxing report. If the weather is good I’ll take it to the range on Monday.
    It is easier to forgive than to dispose of a body.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast