MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: My Word!

My Word!

Somebody paid a bundle for this stainless Ruger Old Army. Granted it is N.I.B. but still.....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988097312

Well north of $1500 by the time taxes and fees get tacked on.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Good looking firearm, and if I had that much extra cash lying about, I may very well buy it, or one just like it. Sadly, waaay out of reach for my finances... BUT, again, there are those for whom such a purchase is a reality! I know on RARE occasions I get a windfall -- e.g., I sell something; or, others inherit; or, even perhaps win a Lottery -- my hope only being happiness for the buyer and best wishes to him or her with it! Just as a side note, I have recently seen several "snake Colts" (Pythons, Anacondas) which were USED each sell for more than two grand!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

Worth every penny of it!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Gee, I bought my own stainless ROA for something short of $300, but it was in 1999. I just can't cope with how things have changed, I guess.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Well at least we know for sure what it is worth. It is worth whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay. Since they don’t make them anymore. I guess you just have to pay whatever it takes if you really want one. And a brand new one would be hard to come by since it’s been several years since they made one. This is just all my personal opinion. I’m glad for the buyer and the seller.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I wonder if the buyer plans to put it away, and in a year or two offer it for twice that price.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    My, how times change. When those were first released I was the manager of a small sporting goods store. We had one of those in the display case and it sat there forever. Couldn't give it away.

Boolit Grand Master

All I can say is a few years ago I went to a local auction house for a firearms auction they had a wildey in 475 no presentation box lips and ammo sold off separately, it did he the manual. At the time on the internet auction sites they were going for $2300.00 with the presentation box 2 clips and some ammo. This one went for a little over $4000.00 said and done. At an auction when you get 2 people who wont "lose" wanting an item the seller really wins. I have seen firearms sell for lose to what you could by them new for at auctions. People used to have an idea if what an item was worth and their limit on it. Now the auction is a contest that some wont lose an item. Ive heard this many times, I won this item

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Gee, I bought my own stainless ROA for something short of $300, but it was in 1999. I just can't cope with how things have changed, I guess.
    Well, 1999,, and today being 2023, for a total of 24 years,, combined with the inflation, and the fact that Ruger stopped building them,, many people have decided to pay more because they have to.

A serious Ruger collector, even if it is NIB,, (missing the outer shipper,) would only go about $700-$750. It's a fairly common variation from what I could see.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Well . . . I guess you have to ask how many of them are sitting somewhere that are in "new in the box" condition? Being old, I admit I'm a bit shocked at the selling price, but I.ve seen some of the ROA' that have been rode hard and put away wet that the seller's want a pretty stiff price for. More than one must have figured it was worth it or else it wouldn't have sold for that.

I fully understand the bean counters and why products are dropped, but I have often wondered if Ruger still has the tooling and if they would ever make a run of the ROA again. If they ever did, we might also be a bit shocked on what the would sell for now?

I'm guessing the new owner of the NIB ROA probably isn't going to be shooting it.

Thanks for the post - pretty interesting!

Boolit Master
    Actually,, finding the ROA in NIB condition isn't too hard. I know of several,, but I also run with the collectors & such.

There are several variations of that gun, and some are quite interesting.

And yes,, with the current market,, I'm sure many folks feel they "gotta have it" and pay more.

But I'd bet a dollar to a donut that Ruger has the stuff to make them again. As we collectors like to say; "Never say never when it comes to Ruger!"

Boolit Grand Master

And 150 years ago that new Colt 1873 cost a cowboy alot.... but the big boss ranch owner did not flinch one bit.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I would love a Ruger Old Army stainless...but not at that price, yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    My, how times change. When those were first released I was the manager of a small sporting goods store. We had one of those in the display case and it sat there forever. Couldn't give it away.
    Kinda' like the Super Birds and Talladega Mopars on the late 60's and early 70's. They sat on the dealers lots for ever and no body wanted them either. Now, they are ridiculous expensive especially with the Hemi. Look at the Ruger Hawkeye. They didn't set the world on fire but now they are like gold.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    worth every penny of it!
    ditto
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so is value.

I'm just "reflecting" here . . . . and I think the problem of being "old" or "older" . . . and I'm talking about myself . . . . is that we remember what things "used to cost". In 1972, when the ROA came out, I was married, my wife and I were halfway through college and I was working two jobs while taking a full load of classes, To say that money was tight would be an understatement . . . . . but we still found ways to do things and have fun. Anyways . . . . I can remember also, when a few years later, you could still buy milsurp bolt actions for under $20 that were piled on tables at gun shows . . . . and I still remember buying several 1861 model rifled muskets in the '60s that were in nice shootable shape . . . . one cost me $35 and the other one IIRC, I paid $40 for . . . . having earned the money by mowing lawns at $1.00 to $1.50 each - yup! Everything has gone up over the years.

Now flash ahead about three generations . . . . what we old ones consider "antique" is totally different than what most younger folks consider "antique" . . . or "collectible. A milsurp rifle that I bought for $15, would now be considered by many as a great buy at $300 by a younger generation today.

I'm not being critical . . . . it's all relevant to the passage of time. One thing is inevitable . . . . as time passes, things cost more . . . markets fluctuate and wages hopefully go up to offset the increase in the cost of living. As far as "collectibles" . . . my Dad always said that, "the value of anything was established by what a willing buyer was willing to pay a willing seller at a given time". Doesn't matter if it's an egg, a cow or a NIB Ruger Old Army.

I think the great thing about it is that someone kept it, never used it but took care of it . . . and someone who really wanted it, was able to afford it, buy it and enjoy it . . . whether it be for collecting purposes, investment or just to have a really good revolver.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 06-29-2023 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    . . . what we old ones consider "antique" is totally different than what most younger folks consider "antique" . . . or "collectible.
    So true, and I failed to consider that in my first post. I was running a Honda shop in the early '70s. Bikes I sold NEW are now rated classic collectibles, which makes me chuckle a bit because they really weren't very good. Handling was terrible, and too many parts were 90% junk before the warranty ran out. (Don't let me get started......) But 30-somethings and even 50-somethings of today know nothing of that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I remember when 10/22's were selling on the newspaper, used for $35. After getting tired of seeing those prices I started thinking I should get one. By the time I finally made up my mind, the going price had gone up to $50. A bit more than what I was comfortable with. So I never got one. I do have a Nylon 66, which I really enjoy