Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Best gadget I’ve seen in years

Boolit Master

Best gadget I’ve seen in years

Went looking on amazon for the old wooden corn cutter we apparently misplaced when moving last year. Instead, I bought a cutter that consists of a drill bit to secure the bottom of the cob and a squeezable cutting ring. Drill into corn, insert into ring and run slowly over a large tub. 30 seconds tops and cob is clean from top to bottom. I’m probably way behind the curve here but this thing works great! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0801.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	315269
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 06-22-2023 at 05:55 PM.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Neat toy! However, why would anyone ruin a perfectly good roasting ear?
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Moderator Emeritus

We have neighbors that grow corn but we rarely get ears ripened before mid September. That also is close to the time of the first frost.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    That must be way north. I have yet to plant my second crop of corn. It will go in about 3rd week of July. Early corn just setting ears now

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Went looking on amazon for the old wooden corn cutter we apparently misplaced when moving last year. Instead, I bought a cutter that consists of a drill bit to secure the bottom of the cob and a squeezable cutting ring. Drill into corn, insert into ring and run slowly over a large tub. 30 seconds tops and cob is clean from top to bottom. I’m probably way behind the curve here but this thing works great! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0801.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	315269
    I have had one of these for years, except mine you set the cob on a cutting board and just push down. No need for a drill...

Boolit Buddy
    Why the need for a drill? Had one of those (sans drill) and the wife went back to knife and teeth for better cleaning of the cob!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    That must be way north. I have yet to plant my second crop of corn. It will go in about 3rd week of July. Early corn just setting ears now
    I live in Sedan, Ks and my Corn is setting on right now. Going to finish digging my Potatoes and go back in with some gormet Popcorn. Hope the rain holds on.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Neat toy! However, why would anyone ruin a perfectly good roasting ear?
    SWMBO can no longer bite corn off the cob. So I usually cut hers off the cob with a sharp knife.

Bill

Moderator Emeritus

I just use a knife... always freeze 40 or so pints of sweet corn for winter eats. Good stuff in a pot of soup or stew...

Boolit Master

Alabama Silver King I eat on the cob so I can suck all the butter and juice right down to the nub.. Every summer, I can't get enough of it..Boil it!
    Looks like a handy gadget, when you got a bushel to work with. Silver Kings gonna be available in July. I drive 100 miles back and forth 2-3 times just for that.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

I’m through putting up my corn and I can tell you that the little gadget work amazingly well. Leaves the cobb clean as can be, milk, kernels and all.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Not as far north as elevation challenged. SW Montana at 4500 feet.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Silver Queen was the preferred hybrid up here for years. Best flavor and sweetest before the shrunken sh2 gene showed up. I still search out Silver Queen. It's getting harder to find.

1/2" of water in a frying pan, rolling boil, put ear in and SLOWLY roll the ear across the frying pan, pull out, butter, salt and pepper. Hot enough to melt the butter and the cobb is cool enough to hold.

And husk the ears as you're walking from the field to the kitchen. Didn't always make it to the kitchen

Yep, fresh picked silver queen, sliced fresh out of the field beef steak tomatoes and a big thick porter house steak grilled on bed springs over pecan tree coals...... One of the very best suppers in the field, ever, after a day long match. An iced sun tea.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers