Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: anyone else running a lee pro 1000?

Boolit Master

anyone else running a lee pro 1000?

I finally got time to assemble mine and get it running last night. Had to do surgery on the powder thru expander die since lee decided it did not need a mouth chamfer and it was catching nearly every case mouth.. had to drill.. then ream, then hone it to add a 1/8" chamfer.. feeds perfect now.

Was a learning experience setting this press up.. Glad I only paid 100$ for it... my 4 hole turret is alot more robust..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pro1000sm.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	315260

Boolit Grand Master
    I had two friends who had one...note "had".

From what I have read, folks who size and prime off the press get them working OK. Priming is the Achilles heel of progressives but Lee is the worst, and your model is the worst of the worst.

Try to keep the press clam and do not try for speed records.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

At one time I had four set up and running. Why Four? Because once I got a caliber set up and running "somewhat" smoothly I dare nut touch it. I hope you enjoy a challenge.

Boolit Master

Yep..i get the feeling that's a dedicated 38spl press. At least it was cheap...

I've had one since 2009 and never had any problems that would make me give up on it.

Boolit Master

A question.. Im assuming that primer punch comes out after carrier removal? That would be a way to prime off the press.

Boolit Mold
    I have loaded thousands of rounds with mine. Some problems have popped up occaisionally. Keep things clean, lubed appropriately and properly adjusted and not trying to set speed records goes a long way for minimizing troubles with this press. Paying attention to powder level and keeping the primer level topped off is vital. As soon as the primer tray itself is empty refill it. I fill mine with as many primers as I can fit in it. I think Lee does not recommend that though.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal 1; 06-23-2023 at 10:14 AM.

The new pro1k have a breech lock tool head. It's really easy to swap out dies with this configuration.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I had a bunch. Bought, got running, sold. They worked. Just required attention to detail. Would I buy again? Sure if the price was agreeable.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    I had a bunch. Bought, got running, sold. They worked. Just required attention to detail. Would I buy again? Sure if the price was agreeable.
    This is an important post. First it shows that there are (were) plenty of folks that dumped them out of frustration. It tells us they are not a "good" or "forgiving" press. But, they can be made to work if you have the patience and ability.

It is unrealistic to expect the press to run like one that costs over three times as much. If it did, Dillon would be out of business.

If you are the kind of person that waits to load up a batch of ammunition just before a match, this may not work out well. If you keep a safety stock of ammunition and have time to tweak or replace parts it might work well.
    Don Verna

Banned

I "HAD" 2. they were my first progressives had them a year of pulling my hair out and gave one away and if you want the other you can come fish it out of my pond. then being a dumb sob i bought a new load master and it was better but still it constatly needed attention. i had just met my now best friend and he forgot more then i know about loading. he said sell it for a 100 bucks to some other sucker and get a 550. best advice anyone gave me about anything other then i couldnt in good consious pass it on like that so i gave it to my nephew with a "GOOD LUCK" and he used it for a few months till he came over and tried my 550 and he gave it to someone else. I would honestly go back to a single stage before id have another lee on the bench. best advice? Load single stage till you can save up fora dillion even if it takes 10 years. sorry im so blunt. theres some that think there "OK" but id bet 95 percent of those people never used a good press. I figure lee owes me at least one year of life four the stress damage they did to me. but you need to understand one thing. if you shoot a box or two of ammo a month it may work for you but i do at least 500 a week. but then again if you only need a hundred rounds you can do that in an evening with a single stage

Boolit Mold
    "It is unrealistic to expect the press to run like one that costs over three times as much." True for most things in life.

Well for all of you that want to throw your Pro 1K in your pond send them to me instead.

I have several so I don’t change the calibers. I don’t use the bullet feed fingers. I prep all my brass on a Lee app. I hand prime off press. I simply charge, seat, and crimp on the 1000. Maybe because I do so much off the 1000 I don’t have a lot of problems. Powder charges are consistent, seating depth is consistent, and crimping is consistent. Idk what else I’d want.