Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New priming tool recommendations please

Boolit Master

RCBS Universal Priming Tool

Modified

1.) Spring action to return lever arm and primer tube for the next case.
    2.) Handle enlarged and softened
    3.) Pat Marlin Rock Dock plate for quick install and removal from the bench.

Progressive press speed increased by off-press priming...ymmv
    "Feel" of primer seating remains.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Another +1 for the RCBS bench priming tool.

Boolit Master
    I've used many of those mentioned here. I switched to a 21st Century hand priming tool five or so years ago. Best so far, even if it's one-at-a-time priming, a method not nearly as slow as I had remembered from my early handloading days.

Boolit Buddy
    I know this is not a dedicated priming tool, but my Hornady LnL progressive press does a fantastic job of priming. I use it for priming all of my brass. Since it is a progressive, I load as many as I need up to 100 and off I go.

I know some people have had a difficult time with the priming, but if you keep it clean, I've found no problems with it. I haven't found a need for a separate priming tool.

Boolit Master
    Does anyone recall a warning about not using Federal primers in the RCBS Universal Priming Tool? I think it had to do with primer sensitivity and/or possible chain firing in the tube.

I like that tool, also the RCBS hand primer and the old Lee hand primer with the screw in shell holders (mine circa early 70's).
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    I read the manual for the RCBS Universal tool and I have not found where it excludes any bonafide factory primers:

https://www.rcbs.com/on/demandware.s...iming_Tool.pdf

Same for the RCBS hand tool I use:

https://www.rcbs.com/on/demandware.s...structions.pdf

I do recall a safety warning from Lee for one of their tools regarding Federal primers and maybe some others as well.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 06-23-2023 at 08:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Does anyone recall a warning about not using Federal primers in the RCBS Universal Priming Tool? I think it had to do with primer sensitivity and/or possible chain firing in the tube.

I like that tool, also the RCBS hand primer and the old Lee hand primer with the screw in shell holders (mine circa early 70's).
    I don't remember any warnings regarding the RCBS tool (there may have been some) but do remember the warnings about using Federal primers in the Lee tools.

Since I used mainly Winchester or CCI primers, I didn't worry about it. Now I use what I can find.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I don’t think a chain fire is likely with the rcbs bench tool. The stack of primers is away from the priming process, and the case mouth is above the bottom opening of the primer tube. The force from a primer that detonated while being seated would exit upward from the case…so don’t be looking straight down into the case.

I prime pistol caliber ammo on my dillon 550’s and Lyman T-2 turret presses. I like using the old round lee autoprime for my rifle reloading. I’ve done repairs to the pot metal handles with jbweld and aluminum but have found some spares for when I can’t repair them any longer. Tried the RCBS tool but found the ergonomics wrong for me.

Boolit Master
    The Frankford Arsenal hand tool works good, it’s not the most ergonomic though. Recently I picked up 5000 Ginex SPP’s and the only thing that would seat them without putting some kind of dent/ding in the primer cup is the newer Lee hand primer. The Lee tool is kind of a PITA but if you hold it properly and operate it consistently and pay attention for misfeeds it’s ok to use, but a little tough on arthritic hands after a while.

Boolit Buddy
    Regarding Federal primers, back in '91 they did a recall on two lots of large pistol primers (#150). They were found to be overly sensitive. The notice I have is in Handloader #152, Jul/Aug '91.

This recall is likely where it all started about not using Federal primers. And of course once started, never dies.

As an aside, I've loaded thousands of Federal large & small pistol primers on a 550B. Without incident. I still use them today and have no worries about them.

If interested I can take a picture of the notice and post it.

45_Colt

Boolit Grand Master
    Another who switched to the RCBS Bench tool. I have a bunch of hand primers I need to sell.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Over the last 50+ years I have tried most of the options available and I always go back to the RCBS bench primer.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone here use the RCBS Ram Priming unit? I picked one up not long ago for small lots of ammo. Other then the lack of primer feed tube it is similar to the RCBS bench unit.

Will find out within the next week how well it works. Need to put together some .223 light loads.

45_Colt

P.S. the ram priming set up is for single stage presses or maybe a turret press

As almost everyone, I started reloading with a Lee press which came with a ram prime.

Which I never used at the time, preferring more 'advanced' tools, starting with a Lee hand prime [ round tray ] , then a Hornady hand prime, and lastly a APS press mounted priming tool from RCBS. All did the job, none were flawless.

Over the years, I developed a preference to prime on press with either the APS priming tool, or the priming capability of the press. I went through a few of those as well, the primer slide on the Big Boss worked very well.

Of those tools, I kept the RCBS APS press mounted primer, because it was the only one that could control seating depth. It has the annoying habit of jamming up every once in a while, needing to be disassembled and re-assembled [ years later I still haven't figured out why ], so I kept a lookout for either a second one, or another priming tool that could control seating depth.

I considered the RCBS bench prime tool, but looking at the vidoes, I realised that the primer tube flopping around would just irritate me, and there is no hard stop for primer seating depth.

I also considered a Lee Bench prime, but it has no hard stop for primer seating depth.

I could probably drill and tap something into either of those, but I remembered the Lee Ram prime I use to have but never used, and thought it would not be a bad idea to get another one and try it out.

It works very well. I keep a dedicated Lyman Spartan with the Ram prime set to the seating depth I want. It's not the fastest, but every primer goes in right way up and exactly right. An oversize pair of tweezers prevents fumbling fingers from mis-seating and dropping primers.
    Last edited by 414gates; 06-24-2023 at 02:06 PM. Reason: addendum

Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    Anyone here use the RCBS Ram Priming unit?
    If you bought it second hand, strip it down and give it a good clean. There should be no oil or grease inside it. A puff of graphite powder is all it needs.

When I got mine second hand, it was jamming up [ much more often than it does now ] and I alleviated that with a good clean. Someone oiled it, and it collected gunk inside.

And if there is any resistance at all, stop, don't force it. Something is out of whack. I have to take mine apart and put it back together, then it runs fine for a while. I still haven't figured out how the two red primer punch bushings work.
    Last edited by 414gates; 06-24-2023 at 02:25 PM. Reason: addendum, spelling

Boolit Buddy
    I picked it up new, has the typical coat of oil, but no big deal.

Not sure what you mean about the red primer punch bushings. Sounds like something that the previous owner came up with.

45_Colt

I assumed, maybe wrong, that you are referring to an APS press mounted primer as a RCBS ram priming unit ?

RCBS also makes a simple ram prime, like the Lee.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    As almost everyone, I started reloading with a Lee press which came with a ram prime.

Which I never used at the time, preferring more 'advanced' tools, starting with a Lee hand prime [ round tray ] , then a Hornady hand prime, and lastly a APS press mounted priming tool from RCBS. All did the job, none were flawless.

Over the years, I developed a preference to prime on press with either the APS priming tool, or the priming capability of the press. I went through a few of those as well, the primer slide on the Big Boss worked very well.

Of those tools, I kept the RCBS APS press mounted primer, because it was the only one that could control seating depth. It has the annoying habit of jamming up every once in a while, needing to be disassembled and re-assembled [ years later I still haven't figured out why ], so I kept a lookout for either a second one, or another priming tool that could control seating depth.

I considered the RCBS bench prime tool, but looking at the vidoes, I realised that the primer tube flopping around would just irritate me, and there is no hard stop for primer seating depth.

I also considered a Lee Bench prime, but it has no hard stop for primer seating depth.

I could probably drill and tap something into either of those, but I remembered the Lee Ram prime I use to have but never used, and thought it would not be a bad idea to get another one and try it out.

It works very well. I keep a dedicated Lyman Spartan with the Ram prime set to the seating depth I want. It's not the fastest, but every primer goes in right way up and exactly right. An oversize pair of tweezers prevents fumbling fingers from mis-seating and dropping primers.
    The Frankford Arsenal hand tool is adjustable for seating depth.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    I assumed, maybe wrong, that you are referring to an APS press mounted primer as a RCBS ram priming unit ?

RCBS also makes a simple ram prime, like the Lee.
    This is the one:

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-pow...t/16-9165.html

Note that you can seat primers via the 'feel' method. Or, set the primer seating depth to a hard stop.

45_Colt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast