Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Annealing for bpcr

Boolit Buddy

Annealing for bpcr

So, I got my case annealer in. All of my starline brass needs to be annealed to get the needed seal at BP pressures.

My question is, is there any special procedure you guys recommend for BPCR as opposed to standard annealing?

How far down the case do you think I should go? (Straight wall cases, 45/70 and 45-2.6).

I have some theories, but I'm open to experienced suggestions.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Suggestion: Anneal the cases to the normal location. While it is your intent to be using only Holy Mother Black, at some point down the road someone just may load them with smokeless. We wouldn't want a soft case causing any unpleasantness...

Again, just a suggestion.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

I did mine so the color change was about 1" down from the mouth.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I have only annealed 45 Colt cases not the long cases the OP mentioned.
    I used a simple system consisting of placing a case in a 13 mm deep socked that had 1/4” an adapter to fit into the chuck of a battery powder hand drill.
    A propane torch gently gripped by my bench vice, a pail of cold water on the floor below the torch flame.
    In the dark basement the only light was from the torch flame. The neck of the case in the socket protruding ~1\2” was pushed into the torch flame for a few seconds until I could see a very dull red glow from the case neck brass.
    Then the case was dumped into the cold water pail to halt heat migration to the case head.
    I the dark room my eyes could not detect the cooler colours the heated metal past through, so I settled on the very dull red colour to appear before dumping the case into the water to cool.
    I have no doubt that I have over annealed overly softened the case necks but my cases are now stopping better than 95% of the black powder blow back fouling in my rifle and revolvers.
    I believe in time with many firings and resizing cycles the brass will work harden again allowing more than the usual amount of blow back or a case neck my split signalling it’s time to anneal that case batch again.

Boolit Master
    I do not anneal my 45/70 or 45/60, I do bell them, just enough to get the bullets in and center the case in the chamber,
    I shoot all my loads at about 1200 FPS. Verry accurate for me....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Suggestion: Anneal the cases to the normal location. While it is your intent to be using only Holy Mother Black, at some point down the road someone just may load them with smokeless. We wouldn't want a soft case causing any unpleasantness...

Again, just a suggestion.
    No sir, there will be no smokeless in these rifles. That would defeat my purpose for buying them.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I annealed my 50-90 SS with the drill and socket method before loading up with cornmeal and sealed with a cork over card and waterglass. I used 12 grains of unique for first fire forming in the new cut chamber. I've reloaded with black powder for the next firing under a 395 grain Great Plains boolit. Hopefully the seal will be good.

Last edited by MOA; 06-22-2023 at 12:03 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I did mine so the color change was about 1" down from the mouth.
    Same for me. I want the neck to seal the chamber and insure there is no powder blowback.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I don’t anneal my 45 colt yet. But I annealed 43 Mauser. I was grateful that it had a neck and shoulder for sealing. Now too I anneal 30-30 because it extends the life of the brass. Must have close to 15 reloads.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    However, do bear in mind you may not always have possession the brass. This is why I made the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    No sir, there will be no smokeless in these rifles. That would defeat my purpose for buying them.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.