Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9x25 Dillon subsonic, am I crazy?

Boolit Bub

9x25 Dillon subsonic, am I crazy?

Ok so I know this cartridge was designed for the complete opposite purpose - super high velocity. However, I'm getting a 9mm can this year and got to thinking, could it be done?
    I see doubletap has a 180gr 9x25 load coming in at 1200 fps from a 6" tube, considering how hot they load most of their ammo, could a load like that be made subsonic with a minimum powder charge? Or maybe even with a 147gr pill? My question isn't whether or not it would cycle the slide, just if it could be done.

Boolit Master
    Welcome aboard.

No you’re not crazy for wanting to down load 9x25 Dillon to subsonic to play with a muffler. Can it be done? Yes!
    Will there be problems? Probably. There’s usually a learning curve involved in excursions off the frequently traveled path.

I see Wiki says 9x25 Dillon uses a 1:16” twist so normal 9mm boolit weights should stay stable at 1000 fps.

If I was doing such a thing I’d start with Herco. It’s bulky and ignites well.

You’ll probably need a lighter recoil spring if you want to get your rig to cycle.

The part that might indicate a degree of craziness is asking about 9x25 Dillon on a forum mostly populated by geezers that shoot cast lead boolits at leisurely velocities.

Hmmmm……
    On second thought, subsonic is a leisurely velocity, so I guess you’re fine.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    One more thing.
    How about a pic of your 9x25 Dillon gun?
    I’m curious to see what it is.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I think it was the Navy SEALs that got the 147s up and going when they wanted a sub-sonic 9mm that
    still hit pretty hard and could be suppressed well.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I think it was the Navy SEALs that got the 147s up and going when they wanted a sub-sonic 9mm that
    still hit pretty hard and could be suppressed well.
    As I remember it the story going around was the 9mm 147 gr JHP was developed for the Seals to use out of their H&K MP5's.

Then some body thought it would be a good thing from handguns. Evidently not realizing the shorter barrel turned a fairly snappy 9mm into a high capacity .38 Special...

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Welcome aboard.

No you’re not crazy for wanting to down load 9x25 Dillon to subsonic to play with a muffler. Can it be done? Yes!
    Will there be problems? Probably. There’s usually a learning curve involved in excursions off the frequently traveled path.

I see Wiki says 9x25 Dillon uses a 1:16” twist so normal 9mm boolit weights should stay stable at 1000 fps.

If I was doing such a thing I’d start with Herco. It’s bulky and ignites well.

You’ll probably need a lighter recoil spring if you want to get your rig to cycle.

The part that might indicate a degree of craziness is asking about 9x25 Dillon on a forum mostly populated by geezers that shoot cast lead boolits at leisurely velocities.

Hmmmm……
    On second thought, subsonic is a leisurely velocity, so I guess you’re fine.
    Ha! well I hope I don't ruffle too many feathers, it's definitely an unconventional thought. I don't actually have a 9x25 Dillon gun yet, I'm trying to decide between a glock based 357 sig build on a frame I already have or a 9x25 dillon glock based build where I'd have to get the bigger frame, and I got to thinking about being able to use it with my 9mm suppressor. I know the 357 sig would be able to be loaded subsonic as the starting published 147gr loads are easily subsonic, and doubletap has a 180gr 357 sig load thats already subsonic. But the 9x25 definitely wouldn't be as easy. Whichever I end up building I'll post up pictures when it's done.

Boolit Buddy
    Seems kinda pointless to neuter a 9x25 when subsonic 9x19 is easy and plentiful...But who am I to dissuade you from your project.

Boolit Master
    Seems pretty straightforward, load a 158gr bullet over 3.2gr or titegroup and seat to 1.17”.
    If that’s too short to feed reliably, seat it longer in increments watching the chronograph and adding powder. I’d switch to a slightly slower powder before exceeding 3.8 of TG.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Seems kinda pointless to neuter a 9x25 when subsonic 9x19 is easy and plentiful...But who am I to dissuade you from your project.
    I already have a 9mm host but was thinking, why not be able to shoot a 124gr bullet at hot 357 mag velocities AND shoot quiet subsonic out of the same gun? Seems like the ultimate all around gun

Boolit Buddy
    OK, yeah, I can see where you're coming from...Versatility is nice. I'm just conservative with my Large Pistol primers these days which is why I shoot subsonic 9mm and save the LPPs for full power stuff.

Give it a go...Let us know how it works for ya!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    OK, yeah, I can see where you're coming from...Versatility is nice. I'm just conservative with my Large Pistol primers these days which is why I shoot subsonic 9mm and save the LPPs for full power stuff.

Give it a go...Let us know how it works for ya!
    I definitely will either way! To be honest the 357 sig makes more practical and financial sense but the dillon has the power and uniqueness advantage so it's still a toss up for me at this point

Boolit Grand Master
    I want a screwdriver that also works as a hammer...
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    <purple font>Wait, you screwdriver isn't also a hammer? What about a prybar?</purple font>

Playing around with stuff is how we learn. I say go for it!

Boolit Bub
    A better example would be a Screwdriver with interchangeable bits... Oh wait, that's a thing and is super useful! Nice try though
    Last edited by Longranger44; 06-23-2023 at 01:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Do a search for “Twister - Pounder Combination Tool”. They’re out there.

Boolit Master
    Just me...Glock based...

G35 .40 S&W with an 5.8" threaded barrel in .357 SIG with second 5.8" barrel in 9mm...and the gun won't get beat with those high pressure 9x25 loads...

Bob
    Last edited by RJM52; 06-24-2023 at 10:13 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Just me...Glock based...

G35 .40 S&W with an 5.8" threaded barrel in .357 SIG with second 5.8" barrel in 9mm...and the gun won't get beat with those high pressure 9x25 loads...

Bob
    I'm really split between doing the dillon build or doing a 357 sig build on the frame I already have. Everything about the 357 would be cheaper and more practical, but would a 10mm gun converted to 9x25 dillon really beat itself up any more than it would shooting 10mm?

Boolit Buddy
    A couple thoughts, the 357 Sig would be better choice for subsonic with better powder density. Running longer cases and small powder charges of faster powders in a longer case can cause some weird shot to shot and could be powder position sensitive. I would also look at 165gr and heavier bullets for subsonic. If you are wanting the best of both worlds subsonic/ super sonic in a pistol length barrel I am not sure there would be a huge velocity difference between the Sig and 9x25 Dillon?
    Lastly you might need to also open up the throat on both since most reamers are tight on the throat.
    As to what gun, if it were me doing this I would use a G20 this way I could build both calibers on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't that the 38 acp?

It seems like a lot of work compared to just having two barrels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast