WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Cut 6.5x55 to a 358 Win

Cut 6.5x55 to a 358 Win

I was going to re-barrel my Dad's 6.5x55 with a new arsenal 38 barrel. I built the little carbine for him. Somewhere he got some corrsive ammo and shot it without proper cleaning, it ate that brand new barrel up. The muzzle is .682 so figure I have enough meat left, plus the chamber cut will remove the remnants of the 6.5x55 chamber with a turn or two off.
    Thus I can put Dad's barrel with a mod, back in the rifle. Normally I would not bother, but Dad is gone now, so the project is a bit more than just replacing a barrel.
    I will call JES shop today and see what they think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0300.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Will it remove the chamber? I thought the 6.5x55 case head was larger than the 0.473" standard case, probably more so in a military chambering.

Boolit Master

I believe the barrel will have to be set back a bit to clear up the base and the shoulder of the .358. Jess can tell you whether it will though.

Boolit Master
    BK7Saum has identified part of the possible problems. The 6.5x55 had a few thou added to the case body diameter in development to meet desired velocity and pressure requirements. Base/head diameter of .480 versus the 'common' .470-.473, enough to need consideration. If the barrel is 'set back' ( rethreaded/ shortened) you MAY clean up the chamber enough to rebore to .358 Win. Again 6.5x55 brass MAY be sized down enough to chamber in a .358 but expanding .308 is a much easier. MidwayUSA, Brownells, Shaw used to make 'small ring Mauser' replacement barrels that were inexpensive and in 6.5x55, other calibers. A search might find a replacement barrel on an auction site. Setting a barrel back is more involved than rechambering.

You have enough muzzle O.D. - since Jes' minimum muzzle O.D. for a rebore is .608" in your case.( .358" + .125" + .125" )

He won't go any thinner than a .125" barrel wall thickness @ the muzzle after a rebore.
    Last edited by pietro; 06-21-2023 at 10:19 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Called JES, went to answering machine, said no more recording space and you can not leave a message.....

Reason I said remove one or two turns. I do all my own work in my shop, I have a dozen M-96s so am a bit familiar with the 55 and the 96s action and cartridge. The 96-358 I am working on I have already fitted to feed the 358 Win, so two fer is OK too.

My Shaw 1-14 SS 22" barrel for the 358 Husky 1943 I am building is to be delivered Friday.....thought I would make note of this rebuild and rebore and why, as this rebore would be a special and totally different project. I already have the brass, dies, reamer, etc.

I still have the new 38 barrel, which I can taper on my lathe and replace the corroded barrel with. However I do not want to replace the barrel itself if I can save it. I like 35s, have seven or so now, so why not.

Just thought I would add another project to the six going. This is the current 358 Win cast bullet project action in the sight fixture hand the action with mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0532.jpg   IMG_0535.jpg  
    Last edited by Rapier; 06-21-2023 at 09:18 PM.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Why not sleeve the barrel? Much easier, I would think and plenty of accuracy, at least with my sleeved 1895 Win in .30-40.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

If the barrel is an original 6.5x55 military stepped barrel setting the barrel back a "turn or two" may remove most if not all the first step. That would preclude a tight abutment back against the receiver ring. However, if the original barrel was a new commercial contour that shouldn't pose a problem.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Or 35x57. That would maybe work easier than .358
    If you have brass to start to use

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    If the barrel is an original 6.5x55 military stepped barrel setting the barrel back a "turn or two" may remove most if not all the first step. That would preclude a tight abutment back against the receiver ring. However, if the original barrel was a new commercial contour that shouldn't pose a problem.
    Th OP stated that the barrel was an arsenal 38 barrel, wouldn't that signify that it's a military barrel? If not he could also put a barrel nut on it such as Savage and alleviate that problem you mentioned.

I decided to put the "keep the old 55 barrel project" on the back burner. I have enough 35 projects going right now with the 35 Whelen and 358 Win guns to finish in the new 35 build category already. Maybe I might do an X by 55 something or other, later.

Thanks for the ideas, I will check on JES again, later.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    If JES can rebore it to 35 caliber, why not just wildcat the 6.5 cartridge?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    How does the gun shoot now. Some corroded barrels have been known to shoot well. The 6.6x55 is a proven round. If it shoots, why not keep it?

A “9x55mm” sounds kind of neat…. Especially with a .358” JES 3 groove tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a small update, got the 358 new barrel M-96 build ready to sand blast for a Granite Black Cerakote applied finish on the SS barrel and other metal. Decided to go with Cerakote because of the different metals.
    Mods: Front to back
    Shaw 358 Win short chamber SS 1-14 twist 22" medium contour barrel.
    Muzzle threaded 5/8x24 for a can
    Recessed crown
    Barrel Stamped 358 Win
    Barrel shoulder set back .012 long and sad story about different reamers
    Barrel shank set back .012 to match with 45 degree break, polished
    Chamber headspace set to a slight base sweep on new factory brass just as the bolt closes
    Face cut square on mandrel and threads uniformed
    Lugs lapped to 100%
    Bolt face squared, and fitted
    Extractor fitted to feed and extract .473 rim cases
    Bolt body and flat on handle jeweled.
    Bolt handle bent t and swept
    Thumb sporting safety fitted to bolt and firing pin.
    Tang top taper ground below the firing pin catch groove.
    Sear slot in reciever elongated by 1/8" to fit new Timney trigger.
    Stripper flip hump removed
    Drilled and tapped for a one piece center mount scope base
    Race ways polished
    Trigger guard reduced to 3/8" width with center to edge reduction to 1/16"
    Action Screws changed to allen head and fitted.
    Bottom plate polished.

Sure I forgot something but this is how she looks now, before blasting and coating, the 200 RCBS FN does feed. The brake is for a thread protector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0602.jpg  
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    If JES can rebore it to 35 caliber, why not just wildcat the 6.5 cartridge?

Kevin
    My thought exactly.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Never heard back from JES so will just rebarrel the action. So the extra set of 35 Whelen dies will be laid back for another day, cut down to make a 35x55 or 57.
    Oh, realize I never responded to how does it shoot with the 20 miles of bad road, barrel, I am not interested. I had a "dark barrel" 96 it shot fine, but bothered me, so I replaced the barrel with a new, never mounted in the white Armory M-38 barrel. Fully aware a pitted barrel may shoot, just they will not become one of my guns on my racks while I have a full shop.

By the way, got the 358 Win Husky barreled action and bottom metal Granite Black double coated yesterday. We will see how it cures out. The stock is still bugging me, need to decide about the wood species.
    Cervantes

Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

Will Rogers