Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optic for Revolver?

Boolit Master

Optic for Revolver?

New to optics on a revolver (686).
    50 yards for silhouette matches.
    Only tried an inexpensive tru glo red dot so far.

I am looking to upgrade.
    What are you all running. Be specific please, and pics are always appreciated.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    I have a 686 6” bbl with a Burris FF3 on it. I’ve also had a Vortex Venom on it. Either one is a good choice. I’ve shot dozens of deer with this gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1242.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	315230

Boolit Master

As my eyes got older I was having real issues seeing my sights, so I put on a Rail and Vortex Venom red dot on my Redhawk. Takes a little getting used to, but it really makes a difference in my silhouette scores. This site is being a pain and rejecting my uploading pictures for some reason...

...if we talk about undrilled K-L-N frame S&Ws, maybe this can help:Attachment 315234
    1"rings, all steel, virtually indestructible_ won't mar your L frame 686_
    same mount on a .44, but I won't choose again a 4x, because I wobble too much_ my next buy will be a 2x, for sure_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-20-2023 at 11:33 PM. Reason: all steel
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I have a 686 6” bbl with a Burris FF3 on it. I’ve also had a Vortex Venom on it. Either one is a good choice. I’ve shot dozens of deer with this gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1242.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	315230
    My 7.5" .45 Colt Blackhawk wears a FF3 during deer season. It works GREAT for my old eyes! hc18flyer

I use a sightron 7x along with multiple dot sights on my 686.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Buddy
    Just put a Burris ff3 on my Taurus with a weigand no drill mount. Not tried it yet as it's rain everyday since I put it in Monday. https://www.jackweigand.com/scope.html

...just thinkin'about a sticky with the various options & rating about LER / EER, both new-available or out-of-production_ I've ever had the feeling that there are around more and more interesting options than advertising pages will ever show...
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

I find them useful

Red dot sights are easy to install on most handguns these days and won't break the bank. Scopes (mostly for hunting) are good choices also and easy to mount as well. With the no drill mount's that are available I would say give it a try and see how you like it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    New to optics on a revolver (686).
    50 yards for silhouette matches.
    Only tried an inexpensive tru glo red dot so far.

I am looking to upgrade.
    What are you all running. Be specific please, and pics are always appreciated.
    I had similar challenges finding an optic which worked for me -- I was shooting a Smith & Wesson Model 625-3 Stainless“45 Cal of 1983” 5”Bbl .45ACP revolver. My first attempt was with a fairly low priced Bushnell variable strength optic, my thinking the 7x would be the "cat's meow". If we were shooting from rests, maybe... but even when turned down I was not seeing target as I had hoped to. Number 2 was a Leupold 4X dedicated handgun scope -- AWESOME!!! -- I still have it -- but, I "shook too much" for it to be really effective. Another fellow had exact 'scope except in 2X -- I tried his (albeit a different revolver/calibre) and was SOLD! I bought the 2X Leupold (Leupold M8-2x, Pistol-Scout) and (maybe a poor choice of words? ) never looked back.
    For me, if I was to put glass on any handgun, I'd again go for the Leupold 2x. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leupold 2x.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	315240 They don't "give them away" -- fairly costly -- but one gets what they pay for. On that e- auction site most appear in the $300.00 USD range. When I was in initial market I had not considered the very delicate "balance" between magnification of the target versus steadiness to use it effectively. At 150 feet/50 yards -- 2X worked/works fine for me.
    geo

Boolit Master
    For the Op,, I believe the question was more about red dot's over scopes.

Burris FF3's, Vortex Venom's, and for many of the serious handgun hunters with recoiling handguns,, UltraDot's,,, are ALL good choices.

There are many red dot's out there,, and in handgun competition such as USPSA,, I see about all the available models used. But heavy use,, recoil, and such,, makes a few stand out. Holosun is a well known name,, but I haven't seen enough of them on serious recoiling handguns to say they would pass the field test. Delta Point, and others,, all do perform very well. But the first 3 I mentioned,, seem to get the nod from more serious folks.
    PS; I have in my stable Burris, Vortex, UltraDot, Leupold, Crimson Trace, C-More, Tru-Glo, and Aimpoint. The 3 I recommend,, all enjoy good customer service if necessary. (So far,,, only one has had any issues. I had a Burris FFII, and it went back for repairs. I didn't even mount it, and it stayed in my safe for a few years. I took it out to use, and again, issues. Burris replaced it with a FFIII. NO questions asked. Hard to argue with that kind of service.)

Weigand mounts are excellent too. Highly recommend them.

Boolit Master

My Dan Wesson in 45 Colt 10 Inch Barrel with an 30mm Ultradot in Warne Rings on a factory Dan Wesson Mount. It's handled 340 Grain bullets with big amounts of 296 nicely.

My S&W 629-5 7 1/2 IN Barrel(Power Ported) with a 2 power leupold in a leupold mount. I've taken 3 deer with this firearm with Mihec's 432-640 Med HP Powder Coated.

Boolit Master
    As an upgrade to the red dot an EER scope can work. I had a 4x Leupold and a 3x T/C scope on two of my TC Contender barrels. I also used the 3x on my .357mag revolver for a while as well.

When shooting from a supported position they work very well. Off hand they kinda suck. Maybe a 1x or 1 1/2x would work, but, I found a red dot better if you are shooting off hand.

PS I am another who is partial to the FF3. Survived about 1000rnds from my 1911 (.45) before I sold it. A PA copy did not survive 100 rounds.

Boolit Buddy
    The UltraDot 30 is known to be "bullet proof" on hard recoiling handguns, is quicker to acquire than a reflex sight, and only adds about 5 oz. with the supplied rings. I have them on both a 44 mag and a 454 Casull, and am considering a third one.

Boolit Buddy

I have an oddball. It's a Burris 2x(1.7) with an 8 min dot. These were sold by Gil Hebard years ago for Bullseye shooters. Mounted on my S&W 629, it wonderful rig. GW

Boolit Grand Master

If you go with a Burris, Leupold, J Point or Vortex mini dot, this is the mount you want. Can’t get any closer to the bore…

https://allchingunparts.com/products...ope-mount.html
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    If you go with a Burris, Leupold, J Point or Vortex mini dot, this is the mount you want. Can’t get any closer to the bore…

https://allchingunparts.com/products...ope-mount.html
    If the OP goes with an RMR-style, he’ll want this one:

https://allchingunparts.com/products...holosun-c.html

I order the wrong one first time around. They graciously swapped it.

Boolit Grand Master

They’re great mounts and as I said, you can’t get any closer to the bore.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Model 66-7, Swampfox Justice, Alchin mount.

If you have astigmatism, the dot may look like a starburst and require some moving around of your head to get it focused.

For that reason, I’d be hesitant to put one on an SD handgun, but for slow-fire, it rocks.

A cool thing about dot sights is sight radius is no longer a factor, so I can carry shorter-barreled gun without forfeiting precision.

This sight was originally on GP100 10mm, but Ruger revolvers don’t play well with no-drill mounts. After a couple of range session it developed a case of “wandering zero”.

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    I have an oddball. It's a Burris 2x(1.7) with an 8 min dot. These were sold by Gil Hebard years ago for Bullseye shooters. Mounted on my S&W 629, it wonderful rig. GW
    That scope is one of the best pistol scopes I ever owned. It is at least the equal of a Leupold and has better adjustments. I put a LOT of 250 gr boolits through a SBH with an embarrasing amount of H-110 and the Burris never hiccuped.
    Highlander, if you can find one, those Ultra Dots are the cats meow for your purpose.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast