Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aftermath firearms and ammo

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gishooter View Post
    I smell BS.
    Is the thread starter a government mole fishing?
    Or some kid?
    Master gunsmith? Military background?
    Their one and only post so who knows. One post mentioned scurvy. Not a bad idea to keep a supply of vitamins on hand also and keep rotating the stock since no one will be eating right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Their one and only post so who knows. One post mentioned scurvy. Not a bad idea to keep a supply of vitamins on hand also and keep rotating the stock since no one will be eating right.
    Assuming that the sun is still shining and plants are alive, there are many trees leaves and other parts of plants that contain nutrients. There are all sorts of teas that one can brew.
    There are also some plants out there that will kill you quite dead.

Remember Yule Gibbons? “Ever eat a pine tree? Many parts are edible “

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    A good friend of mine was an officer during the Bosian mess. As such he traveled around a good bit. He reports there was not any wildlife of any kind in the forests. No squirrels, no songbirds, no fingerlings in creeks. Nothing. These people had all kinds of guns.
    My plan involves defending the Amish draft horses and dairy farm stock. If I can last a year....
    That is reality if lots of people are left.

Even without lots of people it would be rough. My Grandparents settled in Norh and South Dakota around 1900. While not common it was uncommon either that people starved to death during the first years of establishing their homestead. They had horses and most had a muzzleloading shotguns. More importantly they had the corporate knowledge to survive under conditions, yet some didn't find enough food with the nearest neighbor being miles away.

Now increase population density by a hundred or more with modern firearms and fishing methods. Small game being common enough to justify the energy it takes to get it will not last long.

A suppressed 22 with subsonic ammo would be about as good as it gets if there is any small game left.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-07-2023 at 05:58 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That is reality if lots of people are left.

Even without lots of people it would be rough. My Grandparents settled in Norh and South Dakota around 1900. While not common it was uncommon either that people starved to death during the first years of establishing their homestead. They had horses and most had a muzzleloading shotguns. More importantly they had the corporate knowledge to survive under conditions, yet some didn't find enough food with the nearest neighbor being miles away.

Now increase population density by a hundred or more with modern firearms and fishing methods. Small game being common enough to justify the energy it takes to get it will not last long.

A suppressed 22 with subsonic ammo would be about as good as it gets if there is any small game left.
    Silencers are too much drama for me when there is a 100% ATF free solution.
    Quiet-22™ Segmented HP generates 75 percent less perceived noise than a standard velocity 22 Long Rifle round. However, its Segmented HP bullet splits in three on impact, with each section creating its own distinct wound channel to bring down small game fast.

40-grain Segmented HP bullet breaks into three pieces on impact
    75 percent less perceived noise than standard 22 Long Rifle
    No hearing protection needed when fired in locked-breech firearms
    Standard 22 Long Rifle case
    Excellent accuracy

Boolit Grand Master

I've been shooting CCI’s Quiet .22's since they came out 10 or 11 years ago. Mostly in my basement. While the noise level is less the claim of 75% is BS.

The early ones didn't play well in semi-auto so they brought out a semi-auto version.

The HP at 710 FPS even with the claimed segmenting bullet isn't very impressive in its killing ability compared to a standard velocity 22 let alone to comparisons to Hyper velocities 22's. I've tried them on prairie dogs. Short of a head shot they were underwhelming on PD's

With a suppressed subsonic I can hear the hammer hit the firing pin.

CCI Quiet maybe an option but they are not comparable to a good suppressor and subsonic ammo.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-07-2023 at 07:56 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I've been shooting CCI’s Quiet .22's since they came out 10 or 11 years ago. Mostly in my basement. While the noise level is less the claim of 75% is BS.

The early ones didn't play well in semi-auto so they brought out a semi-auto version.

The HP at 710 FPS even with the claimed segmenting bullet isn't very impressive in its killing ability compared to a standard velocity 22 let alone to comparisons to Hyper velocities 22's. I've tried them on prairie dogs. Short of a head shot they were underwhelming on PD's

With a suppressed subsonic I can hear the hammer hit the firing pin.

CCI Quiet maybe an option but they are not comparable to a good suppressor and subsonic ammo.
    I kill squirrels with them from my kitchen window. Works for me. One must use a long barrel rifle and I have a cz452 that is about like a low powered pellet gun in report. I do not need a semiauto to kill small game and at 700 fps second it will not be functioning a semiauto. My limited experience with a silenced ruger 10-22 is that we had to hold the bolt closed for it to be quiet.
    When suppressors become non-regulated I might get one. For me too much legal liability. There are non-ATF regulated airguns that have integral silencers is my understanding and that might be a direction I might follow someday.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I kill squirrels with them from my kitchen window. Works for me. One must use a long barrel rifle and I have a cz452 that is about like a low powered pellet gun in report. I do not need a semiauto to kill small game and at 700 fps second it will not be functioning a semiauto. My limited experience with a silenced ruger 10-22 is that we had to hold the bolt closed for it to be quiet.
    When suppressors become non-regulated I might get one. For me too much legal liability. There are non-ATF regulated airguns that have integral silencers is my understanding and that might be a direction I might follow someday.
    I have a pcp Air Venturi Avenger in 25 cal (nice wood stock but heavier than you would expect) that I bought a 3d printed moderator for (like $20-$25) that works great. Basically the same as hearing a hammer drop on a regular rifle. Very accurate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    The AK if made in a first rate overseas gun factory more or less to spec has similar reliability to the AR. For an american the AR is the better choice relative to trigger improvements, mounting of optics, accuracy, and not needing major tools like a press to remove barrels.
    ARs in 5.56 and 300 black out will be more reliable relative to parts breakage than say it will in 7.62x39 with the .125 deep bolt face. I have spare bolt with extractor for mine and everyone should have spare bolts in the AR since it is the part that breaks. I still have a life time supply of x39. My BCA gun is overgassed and needed H3 buffer to slow it down the bolt speed enough for reliable feeding. Previously only mags with super stiff springs worked and the cases were ejecting way to the front. slowing down the bolt will likely be easier on the extractor too that is the most critical part that breaks in that caliber from my reading. I also still have an sks rifle that like the energizer bunny just keep on working.
    The firing pin of the '94 winchester I have been informed will break if dried fired. I have a few hundred rounds top for it. If the feed mechanism fails on most lever guns, they will work as single shots. Other than possibly being more legal, the winchester lever guns are compact and handy.
    ive got a couple AK's. there a good reliable gun but if yours breaks in a shtf senerio good luck finding parts. add to that its to me an awkward feeling gun and isnt in the same ballpark for accuracy. i shot mine quite a bit back when wolf ammo was cheap. nice thing is i didnt have to pick up brass. but the cheap ammo isnt cheap anymore and mine mostly collect dust today

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive got a couple AK's. there a good reliable gun but if yours breaks in a shtf senerio good luck finding parts. add to that its to me an awkward feeling gun and isnt in the same ballpark for accuracy. i shot mine quite a bit back when wolf ammo was cheap. nice thing is i didnt have to pick up brass. but the cheap ammo isnt cheap anymore and mine mostly collect dust today
    Not to much to break on an AK, I do have springs, a spare bolt, and some other odds and ends. Have you or anyone else broken factory parts in either your SKS or AKs. Other than .22 rimfire's, I am not into high round counts with my guns. I still have enough ammo to last me for a very long time.
    My AKs shoot better than I so far have gotten my 30-30 trapper 94 win carbine to shoot. If the ammo is ok, 3-5 moa that makes it good for hunting accuracy to at least 150 yards; for self defense to a bit further than that. But yes the AR with suitable ammo shoot much tighter. I do have the 7.62x39 caliber and use it in both AR and AK systems. I do not expect to be ever getting through more than a case of it or so. What I am short of are the 154 grain soft point loads and maybe i will look around to getting half a case of it if it is still around.
    The AK feels more 'natural' to me being ergonomically more similar to the guns I grew up with, with the exception being the pistol grip on it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Neither the AK or AR will let you down.

I went with AR's. Ammunition is lighter if you have to carry it, and accuracy is superior. If the SHTF, there will be a lot more 5.56 ammunition to salvage.

I think barnetmill is correct. A case of ammunition should be enough, but I can produce a lot more. None of the other folks that will from our tribe have a lot of ammunition stockpiled. That will be my "job"...keeping the rifles, shotguns and pistols fed.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I went with AR's. Ammunition is lighter if you have to carry it, and accuracy is superior. If the SHTF, there will be a lot more 5.56 ammunition to salvage.

I think barnetmill is correct. A case of ammunition should be enough, but I can produce a lot more. None of the other folks that will from our tribe have a lot of ammunition stockpiled. That will be my "job"...keeping the rifles, shotguns and pistols fed.
    On the AK there have been some made that are junk and are not reliable. There are heat treatment spec for specific parts and receiver areas of the AK. I understand that century is now making a decent one. The Mak 90. Maadi (as made in Egypt), and at least the early WASR were reliable guns in my experience. There some questions on QC for some Saiga. If you have an AK, shoot it a bit and then look it over internally. Ck the trunions and other surfaces for dinging/cracking. Check the rivets and such. Mine were always ok, but like I said it may not always be true.
    The same can also be said for ARs from less than top of the line makers.
    But either gun if the parts were made right and it was assembled close to specs is usually good to go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

The 5.56 M193 if you get it loaded to full pressure/velocity will penetrate many common ballistic plates. the round is lead core and so not regulated and what is even better at closer ranges where it is most needed causes devastating wounds and such ammo is like 40-50 cents a round these days.
    I mention the specific loading since in a 16 inch barrel it can often vary from 2800 to 3100 fps in a 16 inch barrel. The steel case wolf type ammo is usually slower, but not always. With pistol type ARs there will be velocity loss and one really wants the heavier expanding hp and soft point ammo for terminal effect.
    My suggestion is to find a brand and loading of ammo that your carbine or rifle likes and either load a case of it or buy case of it. For a pistol as I said the heavier, but more reliably expanding bullets are what you want.
    For AR pistols if you have no silencer the full power supersonic 300 blackout loads with barnes bullets are good. The silenced loads are with the heavier rounds sort between a 40 cal and 10mm. The original concept of the the 300 whisper was a 220 gr or heavier bullet boat tailed pointed bullet. Such bullets might tumble/keyhole in flesh. But these are still pistol power loads.

Boolit Buddy
    GUNRNR;
    "I have the military background to manufacture my own black powder and primer compound"

What MOS taught you that?
    Lots of good discussion but the original post smells.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master

The biggest problem for preppers in SHTF is the remnants of the government 'restoring order' by declaring martial law and sending armed agents to confiscate weapons, food, fuel, medicine, and anything else the government deems useful. The government will claim its for the greater good as only they have the wisdom to distribute supplies fairly. Most of the elite politicians have no useful skills and will try to continue stealing from the peasants to live in luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by gishooter View Post
    I smell BS.
    Is the thread starter a government mole fishing?
    Or some kid?
    Master gunsmith? Military background?
    I kinda thought the same, especially the 'military background' thing. I did 15 years active Army and 13 years Navy Reserve, and learned absolutely nothing about making black powder nor primers.
    Last edited by henryinpanama; 08-27-2023 at 04:24 PM.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by henryinpanama View Post

I kinda thought the same, especially the 'military background' thing. I did 15 years active Army and 13 years Navy Reserve, and learned absolutely about making black powder nor primers.
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, there is a pretty good chance it is a duck.

Boolit Buddy
    My 3 children had "military backgrounds" due to the fact my wife and I both were career military with 44 years between us. I'll have to ask them if their military background taught them how to make black powder? If so I'm going to ask them to teach me.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123