RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get my father a .45-70 Lever Gun for Deer hunting

Boolit Master

I have a Henry All Weather and a Marlin Trapper, it's a toss up on which shoots better or is finished off nicer. They weigh about the same and yes Virginia, they do kick using upper end Marlin loads.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy

First, you are one heck of a son!
    That said, my Marlin 45-70 is my favorite hunting rifle. I have a 2006 stainless steel version. But they should be all good. I understand Henry makes a good rifle, and I would like to buy one some day.

Old age at 51?? I wondered about that. I was picturing someone in their 70's or 80's, and thought a Winchester 94 in 30-30 would be better suited for someone advanced age. But at 51, I'd find him a Browning SRC.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Randy Bohannon;5590271][QUOTE]I did see on the website for Henry that the rifle weighed in at 8.1lbs loaded fully

Less than 8lbs with 4 rounds loaded will beat the crap out anyone shooting a 45-70 . Good luck with that.
    I agree - and getting beat up leads to blink and miss style shooting for many . the full length repro 1886 rifles are up around ten pound or close - they dont boot near so bad - Browning , Winchester , Pedersoli , Chiappa (mine is a Chiappa = no stoopid safeties )

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Old age at 51?? I wondered about that. I was picturing someone in their 70's or 80's, and thought a Winchester 94 in 30-30 would be better suited for someone advanced age. But at 51, I'd find him a Browning SRC.
    eh! ..........70's aint old age !!!!!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    My Henry single shot weighs less than any of my .30-30's and is lotsa fun to shoot with a 300 grain slug over 12.8 grains Unique. I'm a total recoil wimp and can shoot it all day no problem. Haven't taken anything with it yet but I imagine it would put the smack down on anything in North America, given that this load should duplicate stout .44 Magnum power level:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=48
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Why a 45-70, which is a known kicker. You don't need that much bullet for deer. I would recommend a Henry Long Ranger in .308 Winchester or .243 Winchester lever instead of 45-70. Both with less recoil an plenty of power for deer. my .02 anyway, james

The 4570 is not hard kicking in standard loads. The old tried and true 1350-fps trapdoor loads will kill about anything you will encounter other than Grizzly bears at a long distance. To date; I have taken Bison, elk, deer and moose with my original 1886 made in 1889 using such loads and 400gr cast boolits. Have duplicated these kills using my 4590 made in 1891 and using 330 grain cast boolits. Full modern powerhouse loads just are not needed nor are they fun to shoot. The modern Winchester and Marlins are nice guns and will take much hotter loads so if that is the pressure levels you seek, then by all means go that route.

Boolit Master
    I have four Henry's, standard .22, octagon 24" .22, octagon .17 HMR, and a Long Ranger .223. All are nicely finished and very accurate, I expect to go less than .75MOA with a little more Load development with the.223. I also have a couple Marlin 45-70's, one is an early straight grip that HAD the curved butt plate, changed to recoil pad and a Remlin Cowboy. I have carried the straight grip a great deal and have killed many elk and a few deer. Recoil is significant with 300 grain bullets at 2200, but most don't need that power. I have looked at the Henry Side-gate rifles, but I really have enough Savage 99's and Marlin's to cover any 'need', but I am thinking about a Henry Long Ranger in 6.5 Creedmoor, just because. Henry does make very good rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    The 4570 is not hard kicking in standard loads. The old tried and true 1350-fps trapdoor loads will kill about anything you will encounter other than Grizzly bears at a long distance. To date; I have taken Bison, elk, deer and moose with my original 1886 made in 1889 using such loads and 400gr cast boolits. Have duplicated these kills using my 4590 made in 1891 and using 330 grain cast boolits. Full modern powerhouse loads just are not needed nor are they fun to shoot. The modern Winchester and Marlins are nice guns and will take much hotter loads so if that is the pressure levels you seek, then by all means go that route.
    This 100%. As the owner of a Browning BLR .308 (almost the same thing as the Henry Long Ranger), I can tell you that it kicks alot more than trapdoor loads in my single shot Henry.

Now, if you don't reload then you will be at the mercy of whatever factory ammo you can find for the .45-70. Many of these loads will kick more than the .308 and none of them are cheap. I think .30-30 or .308 are the best choice of an all around hunting rifle for someone who doesn't reload.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Stick with the Marlin/Rugers for a better fit and finish. I don’t like anything offered by Henry, heavy and clunky.
    I agree. I have my Marlin 45/70 and have several small caliber Henry's. I just don't like how the Henry's fit me. I would definitely let him try a few different ones to see what fits him best. I really did want to like the Henry but just couldn't. Good luck.
    Ron

45-70 kicks too hard? Why are some of you using 400 grain plus boolits for deer?
    I cast 325 grain and run them in front of 50 grains of Varget.
    The recoil is roughly about the same as a 12 gauge.
    Less then my muzzle loader!

That 325 with that charge will take down any deer up to 150 yards. Probably longer, but that is my
    set limit.

As for the Henry, you won't be disappointed. My H010 is a work of art.
    Very disappointed when I got my first dent in that BEAUTIFUL walnut.

I bought my Henry when Remington was busy screwing up the Marlin name.
    Since Ruger took Marlin over, my decision would be harder today then
    it was back then.

I'm sure 50 grains Varget is a good load, but I just can't swallow pouring 50 grains of expensive and often out of stock rifle powder into each round! I'm switching all my rifles to powders with lower charge weights.

I guess it depends on what you're using it for.. A 45-70 is not what I would consider a plinking load.

For the last 2 years I've only shot 5 rounds per year.. Four rounds to make sure it is sighted in, and 1 to harvest my deer. That's not going to be a bank breaker, or a powder reserve killer.

You situation my vary. But I just don't see the need to shoot that round a lot.
    Factory 45-70 ammo, or even shotgun slugs cost more to shoot then using my Varget.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer_Murphy View Post
    decided he wanted another lever gun. .
    I'd take him to the shop and let him pick which one he wants.

I'm sure he'd be more than happy with either one, but I'd still let him pick it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If you want to plink, use collar button loads - that's about all I shoot from my rolling block anymore. And I load 350 gr bullets in the Marlin. Kills anything in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    I guess it depends on what you're using it for.. A 45-70 is not what I would consider a plinking load.

For the last 2 years I've only shot 5 rounds per year.. Four rounds to make sure it is sighted in, and 1 to harvest my deer. That's not going to be a bank breaker, or a powder reserve killer.

You situation my vary. But I just don't see the need to shoot that round a lot.
    Factory 45-70 ammo, or even shotgun slugs cost more to shoot then using my Varget.
    I need alot of practice just to be average, so I shoot all my hunting rifles and carry pistols quite a bit!

Boolit Bub
    Just avoid remlins

Boolit Bub
    Rod's butt test, if butt stock fits tight, look

[QUOTE=Spencer_Murphy;5590333][QUOTE=murf205;5590310]
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post

Yea me and my father live in Maryland. My great grandfather had an old Winchester in .38-55. My father is dead set on .45 Gov though. Recoil isnt a problem for him he is 51 but he is 6'3" and 245lbs .45-70 is only a speed bump for him plus he wears a lot of clothes in winter when he will use this rifle as he gets cold fast due to old age.... lol. I myself would love to get a Savage 99 in .38-55 though. Really looking into a Henry for my father though and he wasnt a fan of my uncles H&R Shikari or Buffalo Classic.
    Sent you an email.