Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Vintage Flask

Boolit Bub

Vintage Flask

I picked up this flask today at a flea market, and I’m having trouble estimating the date of manufacture, or finding anything even remotely comparable to it. It appears to be tin (nonmagnetic and rings only slightly), made from two halves soldered together, with the end sealed by an oval of the same material. There are plenty of teardrop metal flasks out there, and plenty of flattened horn flasks, but this is the first metal flattened horn shaped flask I have ever seen. Unfortunately it has a few pinholes and one seam has split, but I found it interesting nonetheless. What are your thoughts on it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A6E7630-8EAE-41EE-9E65-1F7CE134C701.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	315173
    Last edited by Somebody; 06-18-2023 at 04:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    I bet those pin holes and seam splits can be repaired with epoxy like JB Weld

Boolit Bub
    Oh yes, solder repairs should be easy if it is in fact tin. The chain has already been repaired some time ago, as it is half soldered brass and half copper figure 8s.

Neat old flask. Found it pictured in “The Powder Horn Book” by Ray Riling. Unfortunately no write up on the flask. At least you will know what the proper spout looks like. I would have added to my collection. I would not repair it. But would try to get a correct spout and hang it on the wall. If you need one to use let me know and I will trade you a modern one for it. Lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 309BA6AE-20FC-451B-91C5-E9C1E49077FA.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A nice looking old flask. Are you sure it is tin? My guess is zinc. I've owned a few originals flasks that were zinc - not an easy fix if it is and a seam is split (as far as trying to solder). The first original flask I ever bought was in about 1963 or so - a traditional per shaped flask - made out of inc with a "running habit" scene on it. I used it for a couple of years but the bottom seam split. I eventually sold it to a fellow who wanted it to hang with his old ML shotgun. I kept my eyes open for one like it through the years - actually found perhaps three or four of them, but either they were also split or they had holes in them from corrosion over the years.

That's a nice find - I don't think I've ever seen one like it - a bit unusual and different from the designs you normally run across. A nice find and it will display very well. Thanks Rockingkj for your post of the illustration - interesting stuff!

Boolit Bub
    Rockingkj, thank you for finding that photo and reference book! It’s amazing how quickly this community can find such things. I’ll keep my eyes open for a proper spout, and otherwise leave it alone. I have been working on my own horn using Scott and Kathy Sibley’s book. I’ll have to post that when it is finished.

Bedbugbilly, after a closer look, it does appear to be zinc. The color matches a quadrajet body almost exactly. I see zinc used as anode so often that I forget that it can be used for durable goods.

It’s not a flask I had seen before took a bit to find it. “The Powder Horn Book” is long out of print but is one of the main reference sources for collectors. Think I have a second copy, maybe one day (if I can find it) list in the swap and sell section.