RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Light 44 mag loads

Boolit Bub

Light 44 mag loads

I was watching a You Tube video on shooting light loads in a 44 mag rifle. He was using 250 gr cast bullets and only pushing the at around 460 fps with Trail Boss. But he didn't want to tell the load data. Does anyone have a idea on how much Trail Boss to use? Thank you!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Don't know about Trail Boss, but 4 grains of Bullseye with a soft, 240-grain lubricated lead bullet will exit a rifle barrel every time, but NOT with jacketed as you will stick one in the bore.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Outpost75, I have Bullseye too!

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Don't know about Trail Boss, but 4 grains of Bullseye with a soft, 240-grain lubricated lead bullet will exit a rifle barrel every time, but NOT with jacketed as you will stick one in the bore.
    Always worth reading what you post good sir!
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I'm quoting you, to express my "like" for your post. I really wish they would add a "like" option.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

I have shot a lot of 6 and 6.5 grains of Red Dot under 200 and 220gr cast in my Handi rifle. No idea what it would feel like in a pistol. Nice load for the rifle though.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks GhostHawk, I'll be shooting it out of a CVA hunter rifle.

Boolit Master
    I have a 44 mag J.M. What about using 44 special brass and use a heavier boolit and seat a little longer? Unique or VN340 would be a good start. It's raining here so I may do that today. I have 180--310 grain to play with and some primers. I could test them in my S.R.H. I think both have a 1 in 20 twist. Going slow you could use Cowboy data.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 06-18-2023 at 01:55 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I have shot a lot of 6 and 6.5 grains of Red Dot under 200 and 220gr cast in my Handi rifle. No idea what it would feel like in a pistol. Nice load for the rifle though.
    Equivalent to .44-40. Probably 900 fps in revolver.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    I like Trail Boss for light loads. It's gotten me good consistency and accuracy. My velocities definitely aren't as low as what you cite, but they are slow. If you have Trail Boss on hand, Hodgdon's starting load is 4.0 grains in a .44 Special case pushing a 240 grain SWC for 673 fps in their test barrel.

If you aren't satisfied with Hodgdon's starting load, perhaps work your way down with a good dowel and mallet standing by in case a bullet doesn't make it out.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the info. Yes I have trail boss and I thought about trying some bullseye.

I shoot a 10" contender in our league, I shoot a 225 cast boolit, and I use 2 loads, one is 4.6 bullseye and the other is 5.0 trail boss, hope that helps
    ILSA MEMBER
    CLASS 6 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    I have a 44 mag J.M. What about using 44 special brass and use a heavier boolit and seat a little longer? Unique or VN340 would be a good start. It's raining here so I may do that today. I have 180--310 grain to play with and some primers. I could test them in my S.R.H. I think both have a 1 in 20 twist. Going slow you could use Cowboy data.
    revolver only, in .44mag. for me: anyway 6 grs. of VN320 behaved very politely in .44spl. Starline as in every .44mag. brass.
    my lazy start behind 200/214/240 cast._
    dacron between powder and bullet in .44mag. cases, but only because I'm picky_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master

Would this also be a good load for a RSBH 7.5 Barre I really need to find a light load for me

4gr bullseye load
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    For light loads 4 to 5 grains of bullseye used here.

The 4 grain loads were for plates on a 50 foot indoor range. 5 grains is better when more distance is probable.