RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 336 by Ruger

I just scoped my new to me Marlin/Glenfield and No matter how "unthinkable" it is (btw, I agree), when you can't see the cotton pickin' sights, you can't hit whatcha' shootin at. If I hadn't found a 4x Leupold compact in the safe, I would have put a 1-4.5x on mine too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]315457[/ATTACH
    I am leaning toward an Ultra Dot on my next lever gun
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Leupold M8 is an excellent scope, one of the best ever made. I had one and sold it like a big dummy, so if you ever decide to part with yours let me know! Also, are you sure that one is a 100 yard parallax? Quite a few of them were 50 yard. Don't know if it really makes a difference at typical .30-30 distance, but you might want to ask Leupold to be sure.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

It is a 100 yd parallax scope. Leupold doesn't make the fixed 4x in anything but a rimfire model now. I guess you and I are the only people who like fixed 4x scopes. This one has friction adjustments and the full size M8's I have owned gave me a bit of trouble responding to adjustment. The later FX II series had click adjustments...I believe. Heck, I leave all my 3x9 hunting scopes set on 4x anyway. No surprises if a critter shows up at 20 yds or less. I love the compact scopes and wish somebody would revive them. A scope that looks like another rifle on top of a rifle looks a bit weird to me. Out of balance.
    As far as shooting groups with the lower powered scopes, I just use a bigger bullseye on my homemade targets.Attachment 315464
    Last edited by murf205; 06-29-2023 at 07:42 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I love the compact scopes and wish somebody would revive them. A scope that looks like another rifle on top of a rifle looks a bit weird to me. Out of balance.
    Attachment 315464
    This 100%. Far as I know, Leupold is the only one still making traditional 1" compact scopes so they will be getting my business for them. I so wish Burris still made compact scopes. I have three Fullfield II's and they are awesome but unfortunately too big for lever actions or carbines.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I am going to do the unthinkable and put a scope on it. I can barely see the front sight while tilting my head for the right spot in my bifocals.

Ordered a Leupold 1-4.5x-small and light. Really wanted a fixed 4x with standard crosshairs, could not find one that I liked.

I will put pics up when I get it all put together and some targets shot.

I have an FX II 2.5-20 on my 45-70, and if I have to scope, I'm happy with the setup. My son currently has a Skinner on his 336, but we've luckily kept another 2.5-20 for him, if he finds he needs or wants it. I'd thought we'd sold this other FXII so was looking into that 1-4.5. Looks like a perfect fit. I may even sell of the extra FXII for this 1-4.5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70 with FXII 2.5X-20-min.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	315506
    -Paul

I took my new Marlin to the range with a scope installed. I fired some hand loaded and some factory loaded 150 grain bullets, standard 30-30 jacketed round nose.

The groups were not worth photographing. Most 100yard groups were 3 to five shots, usually two bullet holes were within an inch of each other and the others were 3-4inches away. I am hoping for better results as I get used to the gun. But, I think the trigger pull is the issue-It is very heavy and has quite a lot of creep. I have consistently fired 1&1/2 inch groups with an older Marlin 35 Remington. So, I know that I should be able to do better if the gun will perform.

The hammer forged barrel was very smooth feeling as I pushed patches through it during the first post range cleaning. It did not take much effort to clean. I had fired 35 rounds through it.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    I have an FX II 2.5-20 on my 45-70, and if I have to scope, I'm happy with the setup. My son currently has a Skinner on his 336, but we've luckily kept another 2.5-20 for him, if he finds he needs or wants it. I'd thought we'd sold this other FXII so was looking into that 1-4.5. Looks like a perfect fit. I may even sell of the extra FXII for this 1-4.5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70 with FXII 2.5X-20-min.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	315506
    If you ever want to sell the extra 2.5 FX II let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If you ever want to sell the extra 2.5 FX II let me know!
    Will do!
    -Paul

Well, after mounting the scope with an excellent set of EGW rings, I found the scope to be too high above the receiver. The low mounts were out of stock and still are. I have replaced the standard EGW rings with a set low mount of Warne “Vapor” rings. The bases are Warne, as well. Anyhow, no accuracy data at this time, but here is a picture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	316314

Boolit Buddy
    I can highly recommend Wild West Guns after market trigger.
    I put one in my Ruger Marlin Trapper.
    Trigger is nice now, about 3lbs ish.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I hope Ruger has their act together and are producing decent guns. From what I’ve heard, the mechanical parts are good, just a little shy on the stock fitting sometimes. Maybe there’s hope.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I hope Ruger has their act together and are producing decent guns. From what I’ve heard, the mechanical parts are good, just a little shy on the stock fitting sometimes. Maybe there’s hope.
    Best thing to happen to get Marlin away from Remington.

I love all lever guns
    Oh bother said pooh, as he chambered another round.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firewhenready7 View Post
    I love all lever guns
    Although I've never had one, I think I don't like Henry's. Might be a bad assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    Well, after mounting the scope with an excellent set of EGW rings, I found the scope to be too high above the receiver. The low mounts were out of stock and still are. I have replaced the standard EGW rings with a set low mount of Warne “Vapor” rings. The bases are Warne, as well. Anyhow, no accuracy data at this time, but here is a picture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	316314
    I would say that depends mostly on how your face and shoulders fit the rifle. I find medium Weaver USA rings work best on mine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    Although I've never had one, I think I don't like Henry's. Might be a bad assumption.
    I used to say the same thing, until i shot one of their .22s. Now I own a .22 Henry, and still hate the rest. But I'd say try them if you get a chance to fire a few rounds without having to buy the rifle.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12