Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336 by Ruger

Marlin 336 by Ruger

I have not shot it as of yet. It looks well put together; everything operates smoothly. Found it in Turin, GA, while buying reloading supplies.

It seemed to me that a new gun for just under a $1000 was a better deal than a well used gun at the current used market prices.

It has sharp checkering, nice looking wood, I think it has conventional rifling—it’s nice.

I will post some shooting impressions after I shoot it.

I've heard nothing but good things since Ruger took over. If god forbid my LM Marlin 45-70 ever shoots out, I'd have no problem buying another guide gun from Ruger. Have fun and good shooting.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

I saw my first one in the wild yesterday at my LGS. It looked like a fine specimen, but I have no need for a 30-30 at the moment. Plus the $1200 price tag on it allowed me to easily resist temptation.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    I saw my first one in the wild yesterday at my LGS. It looked like a fine specimen, but I have no need for a 30-30 at the moment. Plus the $1200 price tag on it allowed me to easily resist temptation.
    I hope by the time I'd be in need of another guide gun, if I ever do, I hope the lever mania has long died down.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Lever guns are becoming the legal and politically correct assault rifles of the nanny states. Might be quite a while before prices come down. Also harder to build than bolt guns.

Boolit Master
    Pics, we need pics!

Saw one the other day. It was a beautiful specimen. If they are all like that, I predict great things for Marlin/Ruger.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    Do they make them with that Blue state, lawyer safety?

It does have a cross bolt safety.

I cleaned it and took it to the range today, and got the iron sights setup for my loads.

There was quite a lot of black crud, presumably carbon, in the barrel—glad I cleaned it prior to shooting it.

So, far the only issue has been noticed while cleaning the gun-the mag tube and barrel have several light scratches in the blueing, which appear to have occurred during the factory assembly process, while sliding the barrel band into position.

The sights required the use of almost the highest elevation notch; the windage was just about right on target without adjustment. The rear sight would benefit from a taller rear blade in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    A new Ruglin backed by Ruger's awesome customer service for a grand or less is a winner in my book. You'll pay that much for a Henry, and not much less for a Rossi or a common variant JM Marlin or New Haven Winchester. I don't really care about the pushbutton safety, I'm just glad Marlin never went to the ridiculous rebounding hammer.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in Turin every couple of months. Where are you finding reloading supplies there?

Thanks, Frank

Smallwood Firearms—TURIN, GA.

Smallwood has been in business a long time, not located in a commercial area, a retired police officer.

He is on GunAuction.com as “Sandy”.

I am going to do the unthinkable and put a scope on it. I can barely see the front sight while tilting my head for the right spot in my bifocals.

Ordered a Leupold 1-4.5x-small and light. Really wanted a fixed 4x with standard crosshairs, could not find one that I liked.

I will put pics up when I get it all put together and some targets shot.

Boolit Master
    scope is not unthinkable at all on a marlin. a few years ago I put a leupold vx2 2-7x on my marlin 30-30 texan and never looked back. using Burris low rings and matching mounting rail absolute minimal clearance between the barrel and front of scope. It works so well I will probably put similar scope on others. I really like the vortex diamondback 2-7 35 but it only comes in a rimfire, 50 yard parallax.

They look like a fine iteration of the great Marlin 336. Ruger finally broke the code and trashed the MicroGroove barrel and the 1-10 twist in the 30-30. This new one has a 1-12 twist six lands and grooves barrel. On the downside, they are no longer drilled and tapped from the factory for a receiver sight.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. I'll stop by soon!
    Frank

Call him first….last I checked he was open only on Friday and Saturday, but talking about going back to 5days/week.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I am going to do the unthinkable and put a scope on it. I can barely see the front sight while tilting my head for the right spot in my bifocals.

Ordered a Leupold 1-4.5x-small and light. Really wanted a fixed 4x with standard crosshairs, could not find one that I liked.

I will put pics up when I get it all put together and some targets shot.
    Nothing wrong with that at all, two of my Marlins wear them. Another one has a Japan made Weaver 1-3x20.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I'm looking forward to the shooting results. Been anxious when a more "normal" Marlin would be released by Ruger than just the 45-70's they've been building. Hopefully they will expand their chamberings to other classics before long.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I'm looking forward to the shooting results. Been anxious when a more "normal" Marlin would be released by Ruger than just the 45-70's they've been building. Hopefully they will expand their chamberings to other classics before long.
    Go on Youtube, the channel called Target Suite is a good one. He shoots mostly lever guns, new ones and old ones, and he gives a very honest report on rifles. He did one this spring shooting a Ruglin 336 30/30 and it was shooting sub MOA out to 300 yds, yes I said 300 yds!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast