RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coated Bullets are keyholing

Boolit Master

Powder Coated Bullets are keyholing

I loaded some 9mm powder coated boolits to test. I used an MP mold which is a 130g. round nose. With my alloy and powder coating they weighed 140-141g. I used 3.6 g. Of Titegroup.
    The mold drops right at .356 and I powder coated them and sized them to .3560. I used the shake and bake method.
    The group was 10-12 inches with 3 bullets keyholing that brought the group out to 15 inches. The pistol chamber will not take a larger bullet.
    So what would you try to get a powder coated bullet to group well?

What gun are you shooting it out if?
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I size my 9 mm bullets to .358" to .359" but they have to pass the plunk test.

Boolit Master
    First, what gun? Some of the mfgs ship barrels with no throat. My HK hates lead bullets because of that.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I’m no expert but I wouldn’t think the powder coating would be causing the keyholes. I would look at the barrel, the bullets and the barrel to bullet fit.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

As mentioned above -- size to at least 0.357, and adjust OAL to properly plunk

Boolit Master

Did you slugg your bbl? Boolits need to be .001 to .002 over and that includes PC'd ones. Charlieb is correct, some 9mm have no throat. However, you can fix that, Look in the vendor section there is a member that will ream out the throat if the bbl isn't hardened steel. It's only about $75 or so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    The mold drops right at .356 and I powder coated them and sized them to .3560. I used the shake and bake method.
    The pistol chamber will not take a larger bullet.
    So what would you try to get a powder coated bullet to group well?
    Slug the chamber/throat from the breech end. Then slug the bore from the muzzle end. Don't drive either of the slugs all the way through. I had leading in a rifle barrel once. Turned out the bore dimensions were slightly oversized and the throat/freebore was slightly under sized. Driving a slug all the way through, I was only getting half of the story. Your throat or chamber may need to be reamed.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Size 357 and change oal to plunk OK. Make sure case isn't resizing bullet smaller. You're running 900+ fps but tumbling is due to small bullet.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I forgot to mention the pistol. It is a Canik Rival. The pistol was returned because the original barrel would not "plunk" test 3 brands of factory ammo. Canik replaced the barrel which does have some leade.Per the returned documents the new barrel is generous enough to use 147g. bullets.
    I have not slugged the barrel but Delta Precision 124g. HP bullets work fine. I thought PC .356 should be a "no brainer" to work.

Boolit Master
    I have a $400 Armscor that shoots 124 plated plenty good but lead keyholes and sized 357. My lead 9mm boolits shot perfect in my friends Fusion -so it's not the boolits. I have plenty of plated.

Alloy to soft by looking at the bullets weight. Add linotype.

Vendor Sponsor

I will say almost every PC customer I have shooting 9MM are sizing to 357 or even 358 to get them to shoot properly
    If your chamber will not take bullets sized over .3560 you probably only have 2 choices. Have the chamber reamed and have a lead added or shoot jacketed bullets
    But as directed slug chamber and bore first. confirm what you think the sizes are.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Alloy to soft by looking at the bullets weight. Add linotype.
    Very astute observation.

If you are not getting leading, and shooting huge groups the bullets with keyholing, the bullets are too small. Likely being swaged down when seated/crimped.

Pull some bullets to check. Address that first.

If you have Linotype, cast some bullets and size them to .357". If they shoot well, and they should, you can move on from there. I run 92-2-6 hardball alloy in all my 9mm's.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    At the risk of putting the thread in the ditch, do you use a Lee factory crimp die?

I’d pull a loaded round and measure the bullet, I’m with the too soft/too small crowd.

Boolit Master

I use a Dillon taper crimp die that is set at .3795 which xaries some due to Brass OAL.
    The .356 Boolits are Not being sized down. Pulled boolits are still .3560.
    For giggles I seated the same bullet sized at .3582 and pulled it. It measured .3578 or sized down .0004"
    I thought that with powder coating that lead hardness was not critical. Correct me if I am wrong. The alloy is COWW mixed with range lead from a Bullseye pistol range.
    I will go with the largest bullet that will fit in the chamber. I have te following sizes, .3560, .3567, .3571 and .3582.

...with powder coating ...lead hardness was not critical.
    Not as critical...

But w/ the COWW and pure lead combo you mention, you're likely running 8-9 BHN
    -- a bit soft for 9mm pressures twice that of the 45 auto.

Point of reference, I'm running PC'd Lyman#2/147gr bare-base* in my SIG at 1,015fps/32,000psi.
    Very accurate/dependable/clean shooting w/ Power Pistol

But I'm pretty sure 30-1/BN~8 under the same conditions would start stripping out.

* Base is also PC'd via S&B. Baked upright on copper grill mats (great stuff)
    Last edited by mehavey; 06-18-2023 at 08:27 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never done well with the fastest powders in a 9mm and that load pretty hot for cast - a lot of pressure forcing a leak. Something like a Unique or BE86 might help.

For what it's worth I'm using a BHN 9-10 alloy in my M&P 40 with a kkm conversion barrel, a RIA 9mm And a buddy's Canik and they all shoot great with 0.356 sized bullets.

WV do you have a lead hardness tester by chance?

I think the combination of a borderline to soft alloy and possibly undersized bullets is the issue here.

Both issues are easy enough to change.

Is there any noticable leading down the barrel?

Sounds like you should really just slug the bore and see where you're at. At least you'd be more comfortable with the bullets size and could move on to alloy if they still shoot as bad as they are now.

Lower your charge, or your bullet weight, or both. Your mold is for 130 and you are getting 140.
    Your mold should be throwing closer to 130gr bullets and you are getting 140gr w/PCing your % of lead is to high leaving them to soft.
    At what distance are you getting Key holes? I thing you are getting severe gas cutting. Could be the size could be the hardness or both.

Bullet Obturation; is to slug up and fill the throat sealing the gasses. When fired the bullet obturates and seals the thoat. To hard of a bullet and it will not obturate and gases go by cutting , deforming bullet, leading the barrel. Bevel-base do not obturate well, especially as higher pressures increase, causing cutting , deforming bullet, leading the barrel, bad accuracy. PCing helps seal Bev..Bases also.

I shoot a 45 Auto 230gr at 800 fps = 13,700psi, The lead is arround 9.5 BHN with PCing.
    You are using 3.6gr of Titegroup = about 27,600 psi (w 140gr bullet). That require a BHN of about 21 using non-coated lead.

Using PCing you will get away with using a much softer lead, somewhere around a BH of 15-16 is my guess. Lyman #2(5% tin, 5% antimony, and 90% lead) or Harball (2% tin, 6% antimony, and 92% lead).

If I have a soft lead say (BHN9) I would mix it 50/50 with Linotype Lead (BHN22) that will get you close.
    The CUP pressure needs to match the Bullet Hardness.
    Last edited by D.Bullets; 06-19-2023 at 12:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast