RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Coated Bullets are keyholing

Size to tnroat diameter, less .0005" 9mm Luger.

The mold drops right at .356 and I powder coated them and sized them to .3560"
    Tap a oversize .360" bullet into the barrels throat. Measure. Size to .0005" smaller.

Looks like a different mold is needed that will produce a LARGER as cast diameter. Pure linotype can add as much as .002" to as cast diameters.

Fit is KING. (after adding some linotype.)

Boolit Man
    Since you are getting a heavier bullet out of a mold made for 130gr is telling me you have a very high lead content. Probably close to pure. For example my 147gr mold out out 150gr bullets when using an almost pure lead mix but when using a hardball mix it puts out 145gr. Hardness is a larger factor in 9mm than alot of people say because 9mm is a fairly high pressure round. I had pretty bad keyholing before hardening my lead. Soft lead also leads to being sized down by the case when seated

Boolit Man
    I'm also using a Canik Rival.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    PCing shouldn’t be the problem. As mentioned, the hardness of the alloy or the boolit not large enough diameter, is most likely reason.

I have the same problem now with my 9mm keyholing after I started with a new powder for powder coating my 138gr MP bullets.
    So I am sizing to .357 as I always have done. I am using COWW with a little lead added for stretch my alloy somewhat, the BHN measures 15 with my Cabine Tree Hardness Tester.
    I have pulled a bullet and it still measures .357 exactly, measured with a micrometer, yet it keyholes when shot on a target at 10 meters.....
    The only difference I could see is that with the new powder, the coating looks much thicker that with the old powder.....could too thick a coating cause this keyholing? When I switch back to my old coated bullets, I shoot a very tight group at the same distance.
    I am looking forward to hearing your expert opinions, since I am at a dead end now with this problem.

Boolit Master

I did try a 124 Lee TC boolit. I powder coated and sized to .3570 and dropped the charge to 3.6g. of Titegroup. I only shot 10 rounds but no keyholes.

Coating fail 9mm

9 mm 135gr LRN from Summit City with bad coating. Leaded the barrel on another forum. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ullets.920929/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i-Jqbr22s-M.jpg