Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
The light 120 grain imo will act like a ballistic tip on a coyote. Shooting bear is normally at close range which is even gonna make it worse. I’m sure it will get the job done but if it were me, I’d go with a little heavier bullet that way if you connect with thick bone you’re gonna have some serious, kinetic energy transfer versus a splatter. A heavier well constructed bullet will hold together if hard bone is hit. I shot a few pronghorn with my 300 RUM. I’ve loaded 125 grain ballistic tips at 3950 ft./s. It blew a hole through the first one that I could clap my hands in. I could see the “crater”…daylight through the hole…before it slammed to the ground from the shot. Lost a bunch of good rib meat.
When I hunt black bear here in BC, I try to get a broadside shot and take out both shoulders, my favorite shot is to aim where the neck and shoulder join.
No bears go very far with both shoulders pierced by a bullet.
The regulations here state that the edible portions must be taken, there isn't much edible on the front end of a bear even without a high speed projectile hole in it.