MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What powder coat ?

Boolit Master

rr 2030 did you read my post?

I would try tossing them in the H.F. black wet with acetone see if you get results , H.F. red is the easiest to use I have used all four colors of H.F. paint some need longer baking time than others .
    As my notes say I have never tried the "shake and bake" method I would see if cheap spray enamel is available in your area and give it a try
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I did read your post. I had a nice long detailed reply but when I selected post reply it disappeared. Bottom line, I am cutting my losses and decided powder coating is not for me.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rr2030 View Post
    I did read your post. I had a nice long detailed reply but when I selected post reply it disappeared. Bottom line, I am cutting my losses and decided powder coating is not for me.
    Smart move, when you look at all the time it takes to PC, all the special equipment, all the mess, and dealing with all the failures during the learning curve, it's just easier to use bullet lube. That's my experience anyway.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rr2030 View Post
    I hate to see someone try and fail. It really is not that hard, but there are some very specific "keys to success".

One item is to not even try HF black. HF black was proven as "no good" for shake & bake very early on in the PC effort. Like many I started with HF red and found it to be ok. Then they stopped selling it.

Next item is that when using Eastwood or other similar sources, some colors work and some do not. When first starting, use only "proven" powders. Smokes is a good source, but with a little research, specific choices from other sources should be ok.

Also note that the use of black (and only black) air soft bbs was part of the original "secret to success".

For me, I also have to pre-heat bullets to 140 °F "on occasion" when the powder does not want to stick.

No need for acetone wash, and you only want a tablespoon or two of powder in a quart sized container.
    Last edited by P Flados; 07-15-2023 at 10:05 PM.

Boolit Master

rr2030 That was what happened to me when I tried copper plating bullets I surrendered I just could not get any bonding then I tried powder coat wet method and was very happy.

If you have a oven that has been used to cure bullets give spray enamel paint a try before totally giving up ! The bullets do still need to be rinsed in a solvent even when freshly cast .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Thanks all that responded. I had a little better luck with a large cool-whip container and less paint, They still needed 2 coats. Im done for a while.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12