WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Die for a Good Roll Crimp on 38/357 Magnum Brass?

Boolit Mold

What Die for a Good Roll Crimp on 38/357 Magnum Brass?

So I 've been fooling with 38, 357 Magnum and 357 Maximum shotshells. I have found that my Lee 223 bullet seating die gives me just a slight roll crimp on my Maximum brass, but I'd like it more pronounced.

I'm not satisfied with my crimp attempts on 38 and 357 Magnum shotshell brass.

My Lee 38/357 bullet seating and crimp dies give me what looks more like neck sizing, not a roll crimp. The 38 and 357 brass is not long enough to reach the 223 seating die interior.

I see real nice roll crimps on 38 and 357 pistol shotshell cases; what are you all using to get that crimp?

Boolit Buddy

My choice is the Redding Profile die. Use it on all my mag cases. GW

Super Moderator

+1 on the Redding profile crimp die. It works fantastic for roll crimping, as long as you don't overdo it.

Boolit Master

I like the Dillon AccuCrimp or the Redding Profile Crimp dies. Similar results, with the Dillon ahead some in my shop.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies.

Is the Redding Profile Crimp Die a multi caliber die, or do I need one caliber specific?

While there are many post referring to crimping an overshot card in place, there are very few mentions of what die is used. The Profile die hasn't come up, I don't think.

It seems as though most guys are using the die sets that they load bullets with, and are getting nice roll crimps. How are they doing this?

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine works and is marked for use on both the .38 and .357, so it should work just fine (adjusted higher in the press) for .357 Max.

Robert

They are caliber specific.

Redding is the real Cadillac,
    but any of the seating/crimp dies from the premium brands like Hornady, Lyman, or RCBS will do a good job.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Ok, I have to ask: are you crimping a shot capsule, or are you roll crimping over an over-shot card?
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Lee FCD - they are great.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Thus far, I have observed many very good suggestions for roll crimping a bullet: the OP is wanting to crimp a shot shell.

If One is using a shot capsule, a taper crimp is best. If One is wanting to make a roll crimp over an over-shot card, for .38 and .357 Mag, use a 30 Mauser/7.62x25 sizing die backset to give the desired amount of crimp. For the .357 Max, use a 222 Remington size die, as the .223 Remington is just a tad too long to get the desired results.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Ok, I have to ask: are you crimping a shot capsule, or are you roll crimping over an over-shot card?
    I am roll crimping over an over-shot card.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    Lee FCD - they are great.
    I have the Lee Factory Crimp Dies in 38/357, two sets in fact. However, I can't get a roll crimp over an overshot card out of them.
    Last edited by Tomkat; 06-13-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Thus far, I have observed many very good suggestions for roll crimping a bullet: the OP is wanting to crimp a shot shell.

If One is using a shot capsule, a taper crimp is best. If One is wanting to make a roll crimp over an over-shot card, for .38 and .357 Mag, use a 30 Mauser/7.62x25 sizing die backset to give the desired amount of crimp. For the .357 Max, use a 222 Remington size die, as the .223 Remington is just a tad too long to get the desired results.
    Thanks for the reply, this could also be helpful. I don't have that die set, but been experimenting and found that 45acp round nose bullet seating die backset will give me the crimp I'm looking for. I have to run the finished, crimped round back through my .355 Lee collet bullet sizer just a bit to smooth it out, but its coming along.

Slips in to a Taurus M66 and a Hi Standard MkIII smooth as silk.
    Last edited by Tomkat; 06-13-2023 at 12:39 PM.

If you are using an overshot wad, you may not have to crimp. After inserting the wad, just use any kind of white glue or fingernail polish to glue the wad in place.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Banned
    Any of the standard seating dies like an RCBS for an example will roll crimp it just fine. Make sure your cases are all trimmed to the same exact length. You can do that longer 357 Max case in the 357 die and for that matter in a 38 Special one.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't have Lee 38/357 dies, just asking?

If a 4 die set with the FCD does the seater die crimp? Or is the roll crimp done with the FCD?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Don't have Lee 38/357 dies, just asking?

If a 4 die set with the FCD does the seater die crimp? Or is the roll crimp done with the FCD?
    I use the third die to seat the bullet. The fourth die is a Lee FCD - it applies a roll crimp to the cartridge. I do not remember if the third die did that or not. It's been years since I used the dies as a three die set. I've never loaded any shot shells but I can't imagine it would make any difference.
    Last edited by Tall; 06-29-2023 at 07:31 PM.

In my Lee sets, the seater die will also crimp. The extra, FCD, is a crimp only die.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Buddy
    I went out in the garage tried two things. Federal 38 Special cases. Fired and polished but not resized.

The one on the left is an old RCBS 38 ACP Seat die. You can see that I kept adjusting to see how much crimp I could get, and it was hard to get the crimp even all the way around.

The one on the right is a RCBS 30 luger SIZING die (without the decapper in it). I used this as I thought it would roll the top over better, and it did a pretty good job, and I crimped probably more than you need but I wanted to see what it would do. It's nice and even.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30 luger 38 special.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	315515

Hope this helps. Just an FYI RCBS sells dies direct, and this set is $41.99 with free shipping (you do have to pay tax). The 30 Luger is a 2 die set which is odd for a pistol caliber, but if you think about it, it's really a minature bottleneck rifle cartridge kinda. You might can find one on that auction site, and another brand might work too.

Jason
    Last edited by j4570; 06-29-2023 at 09:46 PM.

Boolit Master

My RCBS 38 Spec/357 seating die does a great job of roll crimping on my shot loads.
    As does my RCBS 44 Mag seating die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast