Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you going to do with your guns when you’re done?

I don't have any kids and my siblings and I don't speak any more. I thought about leaving guns to my buddies but they're the same age I am and likely to kick off soon after or before me.

I guess just sell 'em all and donate the cash to some charity or other.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

My boy will take what he wants, the wife already as what she wants, so I assume they will either sell them or she'll just let them gather dust in the safe until she goes. After THAT, if my boy doesn't take what's left, they will be sold, since nobody else in the family is legally eligible. I will be gone and won't give a rat's patoot, of course.

78 now + in process of doing it now - in my will left only grandson what he asked for, wife + daughters can keep what they want - selling majority of vast horde accumulated over years [ do not want estate selling them for $1.00 at a garage sale ] major project for me, apx. 30 gone in past year + many more to go - state of resident makes sales extremely difficult for individuals - selling most at out of state dealers, collectors, + auctions - finding it hard to part with some things that have owned + used for over 6 decades, but has to be done for benefit of heirs -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    78 now + in process of doing it now - in my will left only grandson what he asked for, wife + daughters can keep what they want - selling majority of vast horde accumulated over years [ do not want estate selling them for $1.00 at a garage sale ] major project for me, apx. 30 gone in past year + many more to go - state of resident makes sales extremely difficult for individuals - selling most at out of state dealers, collectors, + auctions - finding it hard to part with some things that have owned + used for over 6 decades, but has to be done for benefit of heirs -
    I'm 63 now and moved from there in January, 2017 and my son still lives there. My daughter has no use for guns and just considers them Daddy's hobby. My son and I did trap shoot in South Jersey and did very well. For about three years till he got out of high school and my back/neck got worse. I plan on leaving everything to both of them, they can figure it out between them. I have 81 acres out here and a spot or two that could support a house. I doubt my daughter would ever live here (she is a city girl in Philly working as a P.A.) but keep hoping my son will see the light. Got divorced which is why I finally moved and found my paradise. My gf knows I am not going the marriage route again (unless really needed for health insurance- I and a spouse, are covered for life) and my gf is covered in my will with having a place to live rent free assuming we are still together then. With my leaving everything, they are getting it for free so a little work won't hurt them plus memories will be associated with some things. I don't want this place sold (property taxes are less than $1,200 a year) so will probably make some kind of provision so they will always have a place to go to.
    Ron

Boolit Master

I have a lot more years behind me than I have in front of me now. I only have one son and he is a shooter / hunter. He knows that he will get everything, but I did give him a short list of shooting friends and asked that he let each one come by and pick a gun when I am gone.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately there is no perfect solution. We are working on that problem with an attorney. We're looking at doing two trusts. One for the general stuff and a separate one for the guns and maybe the shop equipment. All five of the kids will be in both trust's so they will be co-owners with us. We have been telling the kids to tell us if they want something of ours and if they are the only one that is interested in that item it will be theirs. So far no one has said anything about wanting a gun. With five kids and fifteen grandkids someone is bound to be disappointed. The attorney has suggested a auction where each child and grandchild is given X number of points and they can use the points to bid on items that they want. How they dispose of the rest of the stuff is up to them. The house is the big ticket item and I think we will say it has to sold and the money divided between the five kids. If one of the kids wants it they can use their twenty percent as a down payment and buy the other ones out. Again, there is no perfect solution. Wish there was.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

It is unusual that I see a thread like this, I had to think about whether or not I would post on this thread. I have been keeping my personal situation quiet and among very close friends, but...in this instant information age...kept secrets seem to get out and before you know it there is a stream of family, neighbors and close friends inquiring about what they can do to help out here at the ranch. I am humbled and blessed with their reactions. I am in the process of fighting a stage 4 cancer with Chemo-Imuno therapy. It is going very well but the outcome has not yet been determined. Either way it turns out I am good to go, I have been blessed with a wonderful life full of the finest people on Earth and my bucket list has been empty for a decade or longer. I have been there and done that with everything I ever dreamed of as a kid.

I've been thinning the herd for several years now. Starting with my 2 sons and daughter. Each have been given one my favorite 1911's already so I can see them using them and enjoying themselves before I check out. In my family there is no lack of appreciation for firearms.
    My grandkids seem to gravitate to different pistols and rifles and then when their time came, they learned on them here at my range...those will go to them, it's the first firearm they ever operated and like us when we started as kids we wanted those old single shots and revolvers we learned on.

There are specific weapons I use currently but I want those left to others in and out of the immediate family, the wife and I have talked about that and if I go before she does she will distribute them according to my wishes. There is a list in the safe of who gets what.
    The remaining weapons and ammunition are up for grabs...all my kids and grandkids shoot so they will be gobbled up quick, I'm sure. That makes me happy.

My reloading shop is extensive...all three of my kids have been taught to reload when they were children, I would imagine they will figure something out as there is more than enough for each one to have a complete setup. They can work that out for themselves, just last month I went over that with them.

Then there is the shop...I am outfitted extensively for wood & metal fabrication...lots of tools, many machines...the kids can take'em or sell'em, I don't care. Weapons are one thing, everything else is just stuff.

I thought about this a long time ago and decided that I'd put whatever I can in various peoples hands before I go...I want to see the smiles on their faces.
    No doubt in my mind that there are others here in this Cast'Boolits Family that are faced with the same situation...I thought that if I should share how I am handling things it might influence one of you to to get started making your decisions now instead of waiting until the end...I don't know, collectively, we all are different animals.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Hopefully I will get my place built [a 30x42’ quonset hut and 27’ airstream] and get moved to the property where my son is building his home. We can then set up a decent steel range and do some shooting and maybe reloading together. He will get my stuff but I have been paring down a few here and there and not actively looking for any more toys. Have an ‘adult’ grandson that I wouldn’t give a capgun to. A lot to do yet.

Boolit Master
    " There is a list in the safe of who gets what."
    Is that list legally binding? Perhaps it's also listed in your will?

I have made a point to list in my will who gets what.

Boolit Master
    As long as there are no arguments a 'list in the safe' works fine. If there is a dispute, a statement in the will is the best way to go.

None of my kids want the guns nor do they care about the difficulty of selling them. I've downsized to just the guns I use. Those really have no sentimental value so if it comes to it, the police can dispose of them.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have 4 kids .
    My oldest son doesn't have the desire to have any of mine , when quizzed not long ago his only interest was in the BPS . It still locks up tight and all it's a 26" special steel field ......it needs parts and has been rode hard a lot .......

The oldest girl said asked if there was something she needed know . Then dibbs the heirloom to me guns oddly enough no mention of Dad's 25-06'_

The youngest girl , the artist wants the BP stuff that's easy enough.

The youngest boy wants familiarity so MSR and the BHP .

Now the twist I bought them each , or with the intentions , a big game rifle , shotgun , side arm and a rimfire resembling the big game rifle . Through time that they haven't claimed their collection or built they're own , only my oldest daughter has claimed hers . So I'm sitting on a dozen that I don't know if they will ever be claimed .

I have most of Dad's , half of Moms , and a current progression of life medical history that gives me 10-12 yr to decide on the final dispositions . I have 12 grands and step grands it's almost certain that at least one will delvelop some sentimental attachment to me or the clan . I have 3 that belonged to their GG Grands , I don't really know how it will unfold . I feel fairly certain there won't be a lot of fighting over the assets from my kids or the grands . The big tickets will likely be sold off . I have books for each arm that details the history as far as it's known to me and short stories of particular days of glory and the desired progression of passing and why where appropriate. If they find that they don't want any of that the next guy will have a glimpse of "if it could tell us it's stories" .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I appreciate the contributions to this thread.
    There’s an abundance of food for thought here.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Mine will go to a friend of mine. He's about 25 years younger than me but I know he'll appreciate their purpose and value.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    As long as there are no arguments a 'list in the safe' works fine. If there is a dispute, a statement in the will is the best way to go.

None of my kids want the guns nor do they care about the difficulty of selling them. I've downsized to just the guns I use. Those really have no sentimental value so if it comes to it, the police can dispose of them.
    I’ve wondered about writing letters notifying folks that I’ve given them this or that. Have the letters notarized, and from then on I’m just be storing stuff for them. Not sure if it’s strictly legal, but I think it’d stop family disagreements.

From the sound of this thread, I'd say that the future of shooting sports and gun ownership in this country is in trouble.

Sounds to me like most of us should spend some serious time to assure that our beloved guns will end up in a freedom loving home where they will be beloved by their new owner -- even if it isn't a member of our family. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Dad was an avid shooter and did a good bit of hunting.

When I was a kid I remember there were 3 instances of old guys on their way out gifting their pet hunting guns to Dad. In 2 of the instances the guys had grown sons, but still wanted Dad to have their good gun.

I remember one old Cowboy said “I’ve seen how you are. I’d appreciate it if you’d let this one run with your herd. I know you’ll look after it”.

The stories were all the same. No one in the old guy’s family cared about hunting or shooting and the old guy didn’t want to die knowing his pet gun was going to waste. So they gave them to Dad.

In Dad’s old guy days I noticed that if I asked about a certain piece on the phone or mentioned seeing one like it, the next time he came to my house to visit and shoot he’d have that piece with him. In the evening after shooting we’d be in my shop and he’d be telling me stories while I cleaned our guns. When he ‘d start gathering up to go he’d leave that piece and say something like “It shot a tighter group for you, I think it likes you better” or “no use in putting traveling wear on that one” or “I used to have one like that, good gun”. And I’d grin and hug him.

When his end was just around the corner he asked me to come see him. After going over how he wanted his business handled he took me out to his gun room and asked me if there was anything I didn’t want and told me there was no obligation to take any of it. In my acceptance speech I mentioned he might consider leaving a certain gun to a certain grandson who I knew was close to Dad. He looked me in the eye and said “I’ve thought about this longer and harder than you have. I love the boy but I wouldn’t trust him to bring it in out of the rain. If anyone wants something just because I owned it, give them a pair of my socks. I’ve had the opportunity to give it to them and didn’t. What you do with your guns is your business.” And the conversation was over and I had a moving job to do.

How about you? What are you going to do with your guns when you’re done?
    My kids are not much interested, so I've got my will passing them to my younger brother, who makes me look "uninterested" in guns. He's also my executor, so he can see that it gets done.

Boolit Master
    Related story of the first time I ever got to fire a 41 Magnum.

I was at a public range outside of Austin a few decades back running loads over my 3 screen Oehler 35P chronograph. A middle aged dad and teenaged son walked up and awkwardly watched me for a few minutes. The dad announced I was a gun expert and he wanted me to help him with his gun.

I was seeing red flags waving but I was also curious as to what was in the mahogany box he was carrying. He plopped the previously unscratched presentation case down on the shooting station next to mine, flipped the top open and there was a gleaming deep blued N-Frame, pinned and recessed, 3-T’d 8 & 3/8” barreled pristine revolver without a turn line. As the teenager tossed the single box of 1970’s 41 Magnum Remington ammunition on the table, the dad explained he had just inherited the old gun and he didn’t know if it was safe to shoot.

I told him it appeared un-fired and as such was worth more money than if they shot it. He explained they had driven all the way out from Austin and they were there to shoot it. So I gingerly picked up the beautiful piece, examined it, checked the bore for restrictions, checked the caliber designation and confirmed it was 41 Magnum matching the ammunition and told them yes it appeared safe to shoot. Again, worth more money not shot. The dad informed me it was a free gun to him he didn’t care. They were there to shoot it.

At which point the dad asked if I would fire the gun first so they could watch. Third time, worth more not shot. Same reply, it didn’t matter. Ok. I loaded, thumbed back the hammer and landed a shot on the berm next to a half a clay bird. Next shot shattered the half of clay bird and subsequent shots shattered some of the pieces. Ejected the empties and tried to hand the gun to the dad. He waved it off saying that was too much recoil for him.

So I deposited the grand revolver back in its beautiful box. He thanked me and asked if I could recommend a gun shop that would buy it. I gave him a couple of names regretting that I didn’t have enough cash on me to make an offer. They chucked the box into the backseat of their Civic and headed towards Austin.

I sat for a few minutes thinking about the incident. If there was a sin committed, it was the guy that bequeathed a firearm to an unknowing, uncaring, unappreciative heir. I’ll guess the old dead guy bequeathed assuming or hoping the heir was a better man than was reality. I learned from his mistake….and got my first taste of 41 Magnum!
    Last edited by shooting on a shoestring; 06-12-2023 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Oops.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

I shall sell enough to purchase a longship, which I shall keep beached at the fjord. When I pass soon after, with a horn of ale in one hand and a comely serving wench in the other, the warriors shall carry my body to the longship and will pile my remaining weapons about me. Then they will tow the longship to the center of the fjord and set it afire. The parrots shall pine for me.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    I shall sell enough to purchase a longship, which I shall keep beached at the fjord. When I pass soon after, with a horn of ale in one hand and a comely serving wench in the other, the warriors shall carry my body to the longship and will pile my remaining weapons about me. Then they will tow the longship to the center of the fjord and set it afire. The parrots shall pine for me.
    You need to stop drinking or quit hittin the pipe, lol.
    East Tennessee

The only thing I’m concerned about is the nfa items I have in a trust. Nobody else in my family know anything about firearms and especially nfa items that they might get in a situation in the eventual future. Anything else, I don’t care what happens to it. It won’t be mine at that point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast