RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: THins that go Smash!

Boolit Buddy

THins that go Smash!

High Tech craziness carried to an ext ream with Boolets!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcQVrD7RnNI

Bullets HITTING Bullets in Slow Motion - THE IMPOSSIBLE SHOT

(Okay I can't type, sorry. Should have been "Things" not "Thins")

Cool.

There was a article in Rifleman many, many years ago about a musket on display at (I think) the Smithsonian from the Revolutionary War.

About 1/3 of the way down the barrel, its shot hit another that entered 'straight down the pipe' as it was being fired.
    The top of the barrel was blown out, but the two balls were still in it and stuck together.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Now THAT is really INTERESTING! Thanks for the great post!

Moderator Emeritus

That was interesting. I kept telling the video you can't use copper jacket and need to use pure lead and slow them down but nobody listens to me

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Cool.

There was a article in Rifleman many, many years ago about a musket on display at (I think) the Smithsonian from the Revolutionary War.

About 1/3 of the way down the barrel, its shot hit another that entered 'straight down the pipe' as it was being fired.
    The top of the barrel was blown out, but the two balls were still in it and stuck together.
    I remember seeing that rifle in the American Rifleman ... Pretty Amazing !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I used to have an old Gun Digest, or one of those annals that contained an article called "The Ultimate Coincidence." An Enfield rifle mounted in a Sniper Plate was on display at an arms museum in England with an 8mm bullet lodged in it's bore. Happened in WW1 and was accompanied by an incident report with witnesses statements.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Fascinating!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Two WWII bullets that intersected like a cross is another interesting coincidence. There is a picture of that somewhere...

I saw the linked "Smarter Every Day" video and wondered if they were using modern smokeless powder instead of black powder with its much different pressure characteristics. The one instance in the video of STOP MOTION at impact was the most dead-on, truly impressive, but the velocities were still a bit too high for the alloy (if not pure lead) to meld as the Civil War relic, which was black powder and likely pure lead.

The relative distance between the video barrels played another role too. I doubt the Civil War shooters were a mere 21-feet apart.

How many other remarkable occurrences are "out there", which might be unearthed, given the totality of ammunition discharged? UXB's are still being found in France and England (of which I have seen video) from both WW1 and WW2.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    [QUOTE=
    The relative distance between the video barrels played another role too. I doubt the Civil War shooters were a mere 21-feet apart.

[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind their style of warfare included head to head charges, with close combat common.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Here's another example of craziness. An off duty deputy was being help up by two thugs, and one of the thugs pistol was disabled as it got a bullet right down the pipe:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BulletInBarrel.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	314994

45_Colt