Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5744 Question

Boolit Master
    I've never shot 5744, but I realized in the previous year that what I had believed to be "unburned kernels" was actually ash ghosts of those kernels! That only adds to the reality of dirty powder, but it is a possibility.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

I shoot all the obsolete lever gun cartridges with 5744 powder
    Greatest invention since sliced bread. I sometimes duplex with it. Over all I like black powder the best and do not find it bad to clean up. 10 minute operation.

Boolit Bub
    I use it with the 300 blkout, very accurate and will cycle an AR.

Boolit Buddy
    Huntinlever sorry for the delayed response. The Lyman 457125 weighs right at 525 grains and velocity is 1300 fps with the 27 grain load of 5744. I imagine your loads in the 39 grain range with 4198 are close to 1700fps with 400 grain boolits, your 5744 loads in the mid 1500's. I suspect these get your attention in the recoil department. Unless you have a need for velocities at this level I would suggest backing down your 5744 loads to the 26-28 grain range which should get you in the 1300-1350fps range. I have also had good results with 400 grain boolits with 2400. My 1886 really likes 24 grains of 2400 under a Lyman 457193 (about 415 grains) fired by a CCI LP primer. This load has produced moa groups at 200 yards. I also load a lot of rounds with 300-350 grain boolits with 12 grains of Unique for about 1150-1200 fps with very light recoil and good accuracy out to several hundred yards as long as it isn't too windy. Another note, especially with 2400 and Unique I have found better accuracy using large pistol primers rather than rifle primers.

No worries and thanks, Sgt. It's not so much I'm looking for a needlessly hot load per se, but I'm finding things don't seem to tighten up for either powder for me until I get close to max. Very weird that this 46-405VG and 46-425Q both seemed to enjoy 39.5-39.7 grains IMR 4198 best.

I'm starting to worry some I've either developed some nasty habits or, and man I hope it's not this - I've started to shoot the barrel out. It's not like I turn and burn when I'm at the range, but I have always loaded it hot and it's seen many years now.

Pretty frustrating to me, because given the bulky nature of the 5744 I was really hoping it would afford me good groupings at the lower ranges. Whatever the reason, and I keep rattling my brain trying to figure out why - the 5744 just comes out wilder than the 4198. I am repeating 31.0-35.0 5744, and given your comment, trying once again 28.0-30.5. I really hope I can come up with the goods.

Just a query to anyone - has anyone else experienced precision issues in their guide guns, using 5744? Or has it been as fantastic a powder for you guys, as I've seen so often?
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Is AA 5744 especially dirty burning?

I recently loaded and shot a few rounds in .50-70 rifle Three days and three cleanings later I'm still getting crude when I clean with Ed's Red.
    I use 5744 in my 45/70s, mag primers, clean with hoppies #9, couple wet patches all it tales. I gave up on eds red and went to hoppies #9 or borteck eliminator and never looked back..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    No worries and thanks, Sgt. It's not so much I'm looking for a needlessly hot load per se, but I'm finding things don't seem to tighten up for either powder for me until I get close to max. Very weird that this 46-405VG and 46-425Q both seemed to enjoy 39.5-39.7 grains IMR 4198 best.

I'm starting to worry some I've either developed some nasty habits or, and man I hope it's not this - I've started to shoot the barrel out. It's not like I turn and burn when I'm at the range, but I have always loaded it hot and it's seen many years now.

Pretty frustrating to me, because given the bulky nature of the 5744 I was really hoping it would afford me good groupings at the lower ranges. Whatever the reason, and I keep rattling my brain trying to figure out why - the 5744 just comes out wilder than the 4198. I am repeating 31.0-35.0 5744, and given your comment, trying once again 28.0-30.5. I really hope I can come up with the goods.

Just a query to anyone - has anyone else experienced precision issues in their guide guns, using 5744? Or has it been as fantastic a powder for you guys, as I've seen so often?
    I use 27 grs of 5744 in my guide gun with a 515gr bullet and mag primer, very accurate for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    I use 27 grs of 5744 in my guide gun with a 515gr bullet and mag primer, very accurate for me.
    Yep, you're one of the guys I use as reference, because you obviously get great results. I can't figure out why I am getting pretty middling results. I'd love to shoot 1300 fps and lower recoil, though recoil weirdly doesn't seem to bother me much.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Yep, you're one of the guys I use as reference, because you obviously get great results. I can't figure out why I am getting pretty middling results. I'd love to shoot 1300 fps and lower recoil, though recoil weirdly doesn't seem to bother me much.
    Try loading up some with unique ?? ( 10 gr to start and work up ) I forget where I got to with my 45/60 and a 515 gr bullet with unique, may be, 15 grs ?? very mild load and accurate for me out to 200 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Try loading up some with unique ?? ( 10 gr to start and work up ) I forget where I got to with my 45/60 and a 515 gr bullet with unique, may be, 15 grs ?? very mild load and accurate for me out to 200 or so.
    Worth a try, thanks. Always wanted to try Unique.
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy
    I would not approach 15 grains of Unique with a 500+ boolit, in the 45-70 pressures would be approaching 35,000psi. Even 14 grains under a 400 is around 25,000psi. A Marlin, 1886, Sharps or 1885 Highwall will take those pressures but you don't want them finding their way into a trapdoor. 15 in a 45-60 with a 500 grain would be scary given the rifles chambered in that caliber.

Boolit Master
    Might be your lube is not doing a good job, took me a long time to find a lube that worked for me ??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Is AA 5744 especially dirty burning?

I recently loaded and shot a few rounds in .50-70 rifle Three days and three cleanings later I'm still getting crude when I clean with Ed's Red.

We need a little more information. What rifle is shooting this dirty? What were you shooting before? Was it hard to clean then?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12