Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry and crusty

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    For a lever rifle deep GG are a waste of lube. A shallow wide groove a couple thousands deeper than the barrel groove will deliver more lube the the bore surface. The deep grooves will just throw the lube off when it clears the muzzle.
    For my 95 Marlin or the 93 I use a bullet like the left one, but they are flat nosed shallow groove .010" deep and they get a knurl. I can empty the whole tube and reload and do it again.
    The .44-40 gets the knurled FN.
    That middle boolit looks like the lyman that my CBE is copied off
    It works but nothing to spare - at 100 yards the LEE 5003R does much better fouling wise. But that thing gets unstable out at distance (400yards in a 20"twist + a little bit of wind upsets it)

Whats the logic with the 2 big knurled boolits is that to take up windage or more lube (or both)

Joe,

All three are the same bullet. Just knurled.
    That bullet is a .44 Buffalo Arms mini groove money bullet. It is 1.495" long weighs 507 gr.
    I used this bullet at the Creedmoor match in the 19 twist Shiloh .44-90BN and it shot well. I don't remember what went on on the first relay on the 900, I think this was when the sky fell down maybe?? but this bullet shot well but the small shallow narrow grooves just smeared the bore with lead so I knurled them and this solved the problem, but I quit using it and went back to the paper patch and it has the same profile.
    I use it once in a while patched for the .45 calibers. It's a tight .446" unpatched for the .45's so I just seat it a little deeper unless I run the patched bullet through a push through sizing die to bore diameter.

Kurt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lodi 2013.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	317322

Boolit Master
    Joe,

That bullet is a .44 Buffalo Arms mini groove money bullet. It is 1.495" long weighs 507 gr.
    I used this bullet at the Creedmoor match in the 19 twist Shiloh .44-90BN and it shot well. I don't remember what went on on the first relay on the 900, I think this was when the sky fell down maybe?? but this bullet shot well but the small shallow narrow grooves just smeared the bore with lead so I knurled them and this solved the problem, but I quit using it and went back to the paper patch and it has the same profile.
    I use it once in a while patched for the .45 calibers. It's a tight .446" unpatched for the .45's so I just seat it a little deeper unless I run the patched bullet through a push through sizing die to bore diameter.

Kurt

Kurt,

Are you knurling those between two plates or individually on a lathe?

I have a Corbin knurler I use.
    The knurler on my lathe is not ideal even using the collet chuck to hold the bullet.
    I also have used a double cut file but it does not hold the tolerances. It will raise the grain.(wider diameter)
    Here is what a PP bullet knurled looks like fired without the patch, shot as a greaser.
    You can increase the diameter depending on the size of the diamonds the triple roller has.
    I used to swage a lot of bullets and used the knurled for the revolver bullets.

Name:	IMG_1218.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	317323

Boolit Master
    I was thinking about a plate knurl, where the two knurled plates slide parallel to each other and the bullet is trapped between - but the Corbin tool looks like it will work just as well. A lathe isn't really the right tool for the job but some whiz kid could probably cobble together something that would work.

I guess the use of a follower might do the trick
    The file is the same principle as the plates.

Boolit Master
    Joe,

Kurt

Interesting - thanks
    I didnt look close enough - shoulda picked the smaller diameter (44 vs 45)
    It does look very similar profile to the CBE 460 - 535 - PB that they recommend for Pedersoli 45 barrels

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12