RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut Season Whats Your Load??

Halibut Season Whats Your Load??

I prefer a 90 grain cast .41 cal. round ball over 11 grains of unique in a 444 Marlin case. Kinda takes the wiggle out of em!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230604-170816.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	314776

Name:	20230605-142438.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	314777

Halibut? I grew up hunting them off the Channel Islands, but my lever was a slightly different make...

Name:	scuba-diving-with-lionfish-pole-spear-and-zookeeper.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	314781
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    I never got to go halibut fishing from a boat, but have caught a few from the pier on Adak.

I talked to some people that kept an old single shot .22 on board for the big ones; it always seemed kind of small to me, I think your .41 will do better.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I never got to go halibut fishing from a boat, but have caught a few from the pier on Adak.

I talked to some people that kept an old single shot .22 on board for the big ones; it always seemed kind of small to me, I think your .41 will do better.

Robert
    LOL, I didn't know this was even a thing. I thought "halibut" was some slang for some species of land game (not kidding. )
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    .357 shotshells always worked good for me and my father in law. You just have to hit them in the right spot.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    For us uninitiated Midwestern folk, please 'splain just what this is all about. We can bowfish for trash fish, but halibut sounds much more appealing than carp to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    For us uninitiated Midwestern folk, please 'splain just what this is all about. We can bowfish for trash fish, but halibut sounds much more appealing than carp to shoot.
    Exactly. I’ve only shot carp and gar here.
    Only a shotgun is legal on the river so I see the point of the OP’s load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your location, Kai? I have read that in Alaska halibut grow too big to get one into a small boat.

BTW: I hear that old-time muskie fishermen used to keep a small pistol in the tackle box to dispatch them.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    I'm a north-easter and was equally ignorant re halibut. A colleague went on an Alaskan fish trip, and brought me some back. Without a doubt, to my tastebuds, the MOST delcious deafood I ever had the privilege to eat! In the East, flat fish, generally with eyes on one side, are called flounders. Similarly, halibut are flat fish -- also bottom dwellers -- are native to the Pacific. A listing writes: "About the Species: Pacific halibut lives on ocean floor. Pacific halibut is the largest species of flatfish. It is native to the North Pacific Ocean and it is fished by commercial, recreational, and subsistence fishermen. Huge Pacific halibut, sometimes called "barn doors," can attain a length of more than 8 feet and a width of more than 5 feet. Halibut are born swimming like salmon, with eyes on either side of their head. As they grow (by the time they are 6 months old), one eye migrates to the right side and the young halibut begin swimming sideways, with both eyes on the top of their bodies. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halibut.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	314798Their large size and delectable meat make them a popular and prized target for both sport and commercial fishermen."
    My colleague, Tom, voiced his surprise as charter captain pulled out a S&W .45 Colt revolver to dispatch as the first halibut -- in the five foot length range -- was boated. Captain yelled for all clients to stand clear, voicing that a halibut can very easily and readily kill a man! Their "flopping" is not to be taken lightly!
    I am sooooooooo envious of any who reside such that they may fish for them! Again, by far the most delicious seafood I have ever had the pleasure to consume. As a side note, too, I had never ever seen fish flesh as pure white as that which was gifted to me.
    As a kid, we'd go out in Atlantic off New York's Long Island for flounder... a four-pounder was a "trophy". Hence, that both eyes migrate to one side and fish lives near bottom are perhaps the only two things they have in common....
    geo

Boolit Master
    ive seen awe inspiring pictures, video. of those huge fish being reeled up from the bottom and it takes 3 men to pull it into the boat but before pulling in boat I'm pretty sure the captain on the boat had a 44 mag. probably with factory 240 grain loads that calmed the monster down quite a bit.
    Ive never done it, shot a monster halibut, but got to believe that 19 or 20 grains of 2400 behind an H&G 503 would do the trick in a 44 mag

Boolit Grand Master
    Fresh or home frozen Halibut is one of the best tasting fishes, and I come from the land of catfish and crappie. Institutionally cooked halibut (school or navy) is not fit for consumption, usually falsely advertised as lemon baked halibut.

The difference between halibut and flounder is that flounder is full of bones, halibut is pretty much bone free once cleaned.

A 35 pound halibut when held t waist level for pictures will drag the ground and obscure your legs, they are that wide, but only a few inches thick. And even that small, their teeth are like a pencil lead about 5/8" long. I would not want to get bit by one.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    We used to go out Halibut fishing with a local in Haines. He would laugh and mock those other guys who shot any halibut over 10 lbs.
    Yes you can damage a small boat if they are a monster size but gaffing and dragging them backwards until they drown/suffocate works too. Seen a big one, 200lbs +up one the dock in Haines and the guy was skinning it like a moose. It would feed his family all winter. Never shot it, just dragged backwards until he got to port.
    Shooting halibut is really only good for telling stories.
    Don't you mean UNDER 100 pounds? A long handle fishing gaff is normally used. Shooting halibut is done just to impress the tourists.

Boolit Grand Master
    Walleye is right up there with Halibut. Had some Halibut a few times last week, ranging from well prepared to so-so. Best was from a food truck. Most times, the breading is as thick as the filet. From the truck, around half the size of the filet. Thats both sides combined.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    For about twenty years my in-laws would spend their summers in Valdez Alaska. My father in law kept his boat up there and their favorite thing to do, if they weren’t salmon fishing was halibut fishing. They fished way out in Prince William Sound. They caught several over a hundred pounds and quite a few over two hundred pounds. They are sold muscle! When we would catch one over a certain weight, and I don’t remember what that was, we would shoot them before we brought them on the boat. Too much danger of them breaking a leg or knocking someone over board. Even in the summer the water is really cold and you won’t last long . Definitely a must do safety measure.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    When I was in the Navy a couple of my buddies would go down to Baja and go fishing for dorado. They'd head out on the open ocean in an outboard skiff with their guide. In the boat the guide would have a small oar. One of my friends ask jokingly if the oar was so they could paddle back to shore if the engine quit. Later, once they landed their first dorado they found out what the oar was for. The guide would use it as a club to smack the fish in the head to make it stop thrashing about. Apparently the fish were strong enough that they could hurt you or break stuff while flopping around. The guide would have to hit them a couple of times to quiet them down.

The only time I ever caught a halibut (off a pier) it had to be the worlds smallest halibut. I set him free so he could get bigger.

I have lived in Alaska for 35 years. Catching halibut really is a blast. Fishing in as much as 300 feet of water you never know what you might drag up. Fish grow to hundreds of pounds. A hundred pound halibut thrashing on the deck can break your leg. For many years I never used a gun. The fish was brought up, harpooned, which sort of kind of bleeds em, then the fish was brought to the side of the boat, beat severely then the gills cut. Harpooning connects the fish to a 12" bouy via a length of rope. A hundred pound fish will pull that big bobber down 25'. I had a buddy give me the .410 snake charmer saying if I can fix it I can have it. I fixed it and thought I'd give it a try. Got the fish up harpooned it and one shot behind the head and done. No thrashing no leaning over the rail beating the fish just done. I'm sure some guides shoot fish to impress tourists. I guided for 6 years and did not use a gun then but looking back wish I'd had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    For about twenty years my in-laws would spend their summers in Valdez Alaska. My father in law kept his boat up there and their favorite thing to do, if they weren’t salmon fishing was halibut fishing. They fished way out in Prince William Sound. They caught several over a hundred pounds and quite a few over two hundred pounds. They are sold muscle! When we would catch one over a certain weight, and I don’t remember what that was, we would shoot them before we brought them on the boat. Too much danger of them breaking a leg or knocking someone over board. Even in the summer the water is really cold and you won’t last long . Definitely a must do safety measure.
    Exactly!!

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    What is your location, Kai? I have read that in Alaska halibut grow too big to get one into a small boat.

BTW: I hear that old-time muskie fishermen used to keep a small pistol in the tackle box to dispatch them.

Wayne
    Southeast Alaska

USMC 77, USRA 79

Amen to the gun… I use an old rusty 22 mag that I basically found in a boat I bought about 10 years ago rusted to the floor under a seat!!!.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Agreed on the quality of good halibut (and agree with Robert - many people who believe they've had it have been snowed). It was a rare spearfishing for myself or anyone on our dive boat to take a halibut, but these were nowhere near any of the sea monsters described here (20 lbs was plenty of fight, at the end of a spear). Mostly, I speared sheephead, and otherwise went after spiny lobster, abalone and sea scallops. Can't believe how little you think of mortality when young - like drift diving open ocean at night.
    -Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast