WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: .22 WMR reamers

Boolit Grand Master

.22 WMR reamers

Can anybody tell me were to rent or get a .22WMR reamer to convert a .22LR into a .22WMR? Single shot bolt action rifle is the likely victim.

Try White Rock Tool& Die
    I’ve rented chamber reamers for years from him. No web site but the phone # is
    816 454 0478.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I got mine off of Ebay and believe it or not it's made in the Ukraine. It's a GREAT reamer and I say that because it cuts a tighter chamber then the sloppy chamber American gun manufacture's cut. I recently done this to an old Winchester 22 LR rimfire and I can't believe for a el cheapo rifle how accurate it shoots.

As an aside if any of you are looking for a new 22 WMR bolt action try the HOWA. I got one, great rifle and it will shoot 1/2 inch groups all day long. I love it.

Boolit Master

Not to throw cold water on a hot thread but I was always told this is not a smart or safe conversion.
    The .22 Mag uses a .224 bore while the standard .22 rim fire is .222 therefore you have a.002 tighter bore that will raise pressures.
    The .22 Mag. operates at higher pressures than the .22 rimfire to begin with and you throw in that tighter bore along with the difference in construction and metallurgy that is also often found between the two and you could wind up being a Facebook hero.
    Facta non verba

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Not to throw cold water on a hot thread but I was always told this is not a smart or safe conversion.
    The .22 Mag uses a .224 bore while the standard .22 rim fire is .222 therefore you have a.002 tighter bore that will raise pressures.
    The .22 Mag. operates at higher pressures than the .22 rimfire to begin with and you throw in that tighter bore along with the difference in construction and metallurgy that is also often found between the two and you could wind up being a Facebook hero.
    It's not a problem.

Boolit Master

both the 22 LR and 22mag are loaded to a max 24,000 psi. The tighter bore may cause the pressure to go up some. The slower twist of the 22 LR may not stabilize the 22 mag bullet. You can get a liner for the 22 mag with a 1 in 14 twist. Might work out best because you can get a 22LR with a bad bore for less dollars and line it for 22 mag.

Boolit Master

If this is a concern. Check the bore as NOT ALL manufacturers subscribe to this. .224 is more common for all "22" barrels today.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Would not suggest you try to shoot the 22 LR rechambered to 22 Mag, unless you need a 22K brass case rim eye wash. I will not watch. 22 Mags have a recessed bolt face, 22 LR are not recessed.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Would not suggest you try to shoot the 22 LR rechambered to 22 Mag, unless you need a 22K brass case rim eye wash. I will not watch. 22 Mags have a recessed bolt face, 22 LR are not recessed.
    So you've never seen a 22 RF that didn't have a recessed bolt face?

Boolit Master

Bolt face on my Bergara 22LR is recessed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Bolt face on my Bergara 22LR is recessed.
    Yup as are most if not all. I can't see a bolt up against the case head and you can see the rim through the side. Nope isn't going to happen.

Boolit Master
    There is or least was a strong demand for .22 mag single shots in my area. The assumption was for night time deer poaching.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, all. will pass the info on. 725

Found the Ukrainian remears on evilbay after some looking. 70 some dollars seems pretty reasonable.

I have an H&R Versa pack in .22lr and it does not like to shoot. I need to test it with some ammo I have run through a Waltz die creating a hollow point and increasing its diameter a couple thousandths. If that does not do the trick I think I'll order one of those reamers and convert it to .22 WMR.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    Yesterday somebody put up a finish reamer for sale (.22WMR) and now I can't find it. Does anybody know the seller? Would like to but it from him. 725

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Yesterday somebody put up a finish reamer for sale (.22WMR) and now I can't find it. Does anybody know the seller? Would like to but it from him. 725
    It was sold minutes after posting. @ 35$ shipped Im suprised it lasted ten minutes!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, cwlongshot --------------- I was this " close---------

That was me. I had seen your post. Posted an offer to rent/sell to you here, Must have been inappropriate and was deleted from this thread, so posted it to swap n sell. Sorry you have to continue your search.

Boolit Buddy
    So if there is an issue with 22LR to 22WMR conversions because of recessed bolt faces, how does every Ruger Single Six convertible or Heritage Rough Rider convertible function with a swappable cylinder? The barrels are all bored to .224 (which is why the Single Six etc tend to be less accurate in 22LR than 22WMR) and the cylinders are only recessed for the rims.

ps I got my reamer at MidwayUSA.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    So if there is an issue with 22LR to 22WMR conversions because of recessed bolt faces, how does every Ruger Single Six convertible or Heritage Rough Rider convertible function with a swappable cylinder? The barrels are all bored to .224 (which is why the Single Six etc tend to be less accurate in 22LR than 22WMR) and the cylinders are only recessed for the rims.

ps I got my reamer at MidwayUSA.
    In the early days Ruger Super Single Sixs that came with the extra 22 WRM cylinder had a 22 rimfire bore and groove. The 22WMR cylinder was choked. I proved that one day sticking a 22 rimfire bullet in the front of the 22WMR cylinder and sure enough it was tight. I also had a Colt New Frontier 22 with the extra cylinder and it was the same way as kis my much newer S&W 617 22 rimfire with the extra cylinder. They of course changed back and forth over the years such as yours.