RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Block underlever

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    Reminds me of Christmas when NORAD is tracking Santa. Hope the sleigh comes soon with the present.
    Success! The gun finally made it here, and it's nicer than pictures showed! All in fantastic shape and well done. Surprised to find it is built on an original Remington Sporting Rifle action, with the longer lower tang, and it's original serial number. I was expecting a nicely reworked old Military action, not this.
    One small issue was the windage globe front sight was missing. Looked all over in the packing, and it was AWOL. Called the seller, and he was sure it was on the gun. But he called right back and told me he found it in the bottom of his safe, and is sending it today. So all is well soon!

I have a nice long range vernier for the rear in my parts, so that will be too much rear sight, but better to have more than not enough.
    There are no markings anywhere to indicate who built the rifle, or barrel, so a mystery still. Buttplate is a Remington hard rubber. Bore is like new and very unique rifling! It's likely around 12 lands and grooves, which is amazing for a .32-40, or even a larger bore. Haven't seen this before on a barrel?
    I can finally sleep well!
    Last edited by marlinman93; 06-08-2023 at 03:55 PM.

The lever to close the rotating block makes sense now, to breech seat the .32-40 much like a Stevens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    The lever to close the rotating block makes sense now, to breech seat the .32-40 much like a Stevens.
    Yes, more leverage to seat the case, or extract a sticky case.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are correct, the first pictures did not do that rifle justice.

I hope it shots as good as it looks for you.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    You are correct, the first pictures did not do that rifle justice.

I hope it shots as good as it looks for you.

Robert
    If it doesn't, I'll be surprised. This rifle was really built by a true craftsman! Just wish I knew who?

The false muzzle off of the barrel. First I've seen with an aluminum knurled collar on it?

Found the set trigger adjustment too! It's on the back of the trigger, just below the tang.

That’s just super! What a rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    That’s just super! What a rifle!
    Thanks! I'm very happy with it. Never know when you buy something based on pictures sent.

True the original pics left a lot to the imagination. But doubt you could imagine it was this nice! Look forward to shooting report.

Boolit Master
    Oh my Val, what a beauty, and that caliber will be like shooting a .22lr. Congrats all the way around.

Very nice!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

Yowza!

So you've effectively got a Micro Groove barrel, a detachable muzzleloading crown, and a semi-Sharps operating system on a Remington Rolling Block. . . For a collection of answers to questions nobody ever asked, it sure is cool!

A few years back, I started a thread about how the unwashed masses will look at ANY single shot on the bench and ask if it's a .45-70 - - that thing is gonna warp their minds!! LOL
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Yowza!

So you've effectively got a Micro Groove barrel, a detachable muzzleloading crown, and a semi-Sharps operating system on a Remington Rolling Block. . . For a collection of answers to questions nobody ever asked, it sure is cool!

A few years back, I started a thread about how the unwashed masses will look at ANY single shot on the bench and ask if it's a .45-70 - - that thing is gonna warp their minds!! LOL
    Micro-Groove barrels are a 16 groove, and grooves are very shallow. So somewhat similar, but not really. It's more like a standard bore, but with twice as many lands and grooves, which creates very narrow lands and grooves. Something I've never seen before, and I wonder if this was an attempt to recreate Zettler Bros. rifling, or maybe it is Zettler Bros. rifling? I own a Ballard #6 Zettler Bros. scheutzen rifle in .22 Short that has very similar rifling, but being a .22 it's a bit different.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the photos - that is one NICE rifle. Beautiful wood and really nice case hardening colors.

Some more attempts to find some maker's mark, or notes lead me to remove the buttplate, or at least try to! The buttplate screws came out and this is what I discovered.

A two piece buttplate! The outer appears to be an original hard rubber buttplate that was milled out, and then the center made to fit into the perimeter! No idea what the purpose of doing it this way was? The buttplate perimeter piece is secured to the wood somehow, so removing the two screws only removes the center filler. There's no parting line showing as the fitment is too close to reveal it's a two piece.

Boolit Grand Master
    Talk about jaw dropping, I'm glad there weren't any flies around when I saw that.

The level of workmanship makes me wonder if the screws you show are the original ones, they just seem to glaring to me.

Robert

Boolit Master

Any info stamped on the barrel under the handguard, maybe?

Gotta say, the idea of a roller in .32-40 is really cool. The mechanism is just damned elegant genius.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Bub
    Looks Fantastic, the more that I follow this site, the more I realize the less I know. Thank You very much Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Any info stamped on the barrel under the handguard, maybe?

Gotta say, the idea of a roller in .32-40 is really cool. The mechanism is just damned elegant genius.
    I've had the forearm and buttstock off, and not a single mark anywhere beyond the serial number on the lower tang, and caliber engraving on the barrel. Haven't disassembled the action, and not sure I will unless I had to sometime. So far a mystery, other than someone told me that Farrow made some 12 groove .32-40 barrels back around 1880, and had Bullard do them for him when he worked at Bullard Rifle Co.

Did a little gunsmithing on the Rolling Block yesterday. Overall I love the gun, but hammer mainspring was so strong I could barely cock the hammer with one thumb! I pulled the mainspring and put it on the belt sander to thin it out a little, and round the corners off the spring. Dropped it down to about half as heavy, and still reliably set off primers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast