RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 22 TCM vs 5.7

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

22 TCM vs 5.7

Can someone explain to me why the 5.7 is all the rage and 22 TCM is almost unheard of?

I have experience with both cartridges and in MY OPINION the 22 TCM is equal to, or better than the 5.7 in all respects except, perhaps magazine capacity.

TCM No coating to worry about, one way or another. An acquaintance has one of those goofy looking FN P 90s and if the coating is gone, for all practical purposes, he doesn't even have a decent club.
    TCM Cases can be made from readily available rifle brass if absolutely necessary. Some of you may not remember when the owners of the 5.7 would literally spend hours making sure they found EVERY fired case because the ammo was extremely hard to find.
    TCM All things being equal, barrel length, bullet weight, etc. they are ballistically equal.
    TCM In the case of the RIA, the 22 TCM magazines also are used for the 9MM which makes a caliber swap dirt simple.

I just can't see the infatuation with a cartridge that is as big a pain in the posterior to reload as the 5.7.

Now before anyone gets their panties all in a wad because I'm bad mouthing the 5.7, I want it understood I really don't give a rats patoot what one shoots. I have my favorites and you have yours. I just don't understand the infatuation with the 5.7 when, as far as I'm concerned, there is a better alternative.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Can someone explain to me why the 5.7 is all the rage and 22 TCM is almost unheard of?

I have experience with both cartridges and in MY OPINION the 22 TCM is equal to, or better than the 5.7 in all respects except, perhaps magazine capacity.

TCM No coating to worry about, one way or another. An acquaintance has one of those goofy looking FN P 90s and if the coating is gone, for all practical purposes, he doesn't even have a decent club.
    TCM Cases can be made from readily available rifle brass if absolutely necessary. Some of you may not remember when the owners of the 5.7 would literally spend hours making sure they found EVERY fired case because the ammo was extremely hard to find.
    TCM All things being equal, barrel length, bullet weight, etc. they are ballistically equal.
    TCM In the case of the RIA, the 22 TCM magazines also are used for the 9MM which makes a caliber swap dirt simple.

I just can't see the infatuation with a cartridge that is as big a pain in the posterior to reload as the 5.7.

Now before anyone gets their panties all in a wad because I'm bad mouthing the 5.7, I want it understood I really don't give a rats patoot what one shoots. I have my favorites and you have yours. I just don't understand the infatuation with the 5.7 when, as far as I'm concerned, there is a better alternative.
    You should take a look at the 5.7 Johnson Spitfire. 30 Carbine cased necked down to .224. Only firearm I've seen it on is the M1 Carbine. Don't think it would be good for or work in a semi-auto pistol. The 5.7 has FN's name on it, might be why it's popular. More manufacturers are making pistols for it. In single shot guns and wheel guns one doesn't have to worry about that coating.

Boolit Master
    A fella I know was messing with the 5.7 and found that after carefully removing the coating on the cases, neck tension was reduced. Low neck tension could result in bullet set back, so he gave up on that project. He was working with a hand cycled AR platform so it was not gas operated.

Not saying it is a bad round, but after sorting through several pounds of the brass, and seeing the various case shoulder variations, my passion got rather chilled.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    A fella I know was messing with the 5.7 and found that after carefully removing the coating on the cases, neck tension was reduced. Low neck tension could result in bullet set back, so he gave up on that project. He was working with a hand cycled AR platform so it was not gas operated.

Not saying it is a bad round, but after sorting through several pounds of the brass, and seeing the various case shoulder variations, my passion got rather chilled.
    I wouldn't think that coating was thick enough to change the neck tension. Your friend needs a neck sizer with the correct sizing to give proper tension or make a smaller expander.

Boolit Grand Master
    Snob appeal.

Boolit Grand Master
    If the 5.7 is fired in a locked breech pistol (eg Smith and Wesson) versus a blowback pistol (everything else) its viability for reloading increases markedly. Blowback means case shoulder movement which is not helpful at all.