Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Astra .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    Well DG there kind of is a 41 mag semi pistol and that's either a Glock or a 1911 with a 6 inch barrel and hot loads. Preferrably the 1911's will have a ramped fully supported chamber. I'm not saying that a 41 mag revolver won't beat it, but the 10mm comes mighty close. You are aware that the hunter Razor Dobbs killed two cape buffalo's with a five inch 1911. I belive it may have been a Dan Wesson and he was using heavy hard cast alloy bullets. He shot clean through one broadside heart shot, the second one he didn't know where the slug went. Both went a few yard and were done. Yes he has a professional big game hunter with a big magnum rifle for back up.
    I am aware of 10mm pistols, and for a couple of years was considering buying a 1911-type in 10mm as being the ideal bear gun. But I sort of decided to stay with the 1911 in .45 ACP. I'm unlikely to see another bear outside my house, but possible; but I'm unlikely to be armed anyway, just taking out the trash or similar. Should that rare occasion happen with no pistol I guess I'm lunch, because I'm unlikely to have a Professional Hunter watching my back. But the one I did see ran the other direction faster than I could run back to the porch!

DG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I am aware of 10mm pistols, and for a couple of years was considering buying a 1911-type in 10mm as being the ideal bear gun. But I sort of decided to stay with the 1911 in .45 ACP. I'm unlikely to see another bear outside my house, but possible; but I'm unlikely to be armed anyway, just taking out the trash or similar. Should that rare occasion happen with no pistol I guess I'm lunch, because I'm unlikely to have a Professional Hunter watching my back. But the one I did see ran the other direction faster than I could run back to the porch!

DG
    DG don't forget the 10mm revolvers!

Moderator Emeritus

The 40 A&E is dead, the 40 S&W is available with great deals in used guns and brass can be had for next to nothing. I have a S&W 99 and a Kahr CW in 40. I have read that several can't handle the recoil of the 9 mm in the Kahr but I personally feel it's a pussycat in the 40. Get some lee molds, either in 145 or 175 and the cost of 20 or 50 gr of lead is the only difference between shooting the 9mm and the 40. With lead at $1.00, the 50 gr heavier bullet in 175 vs the 125 gr 9mm will cost you $1.00 extra every 140 shots. The 38/40 was a sure killer with the 175 gr .400" bullet @ 1000 fps. Guess which one come closest to that the 9 or the 40.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    DG don't forget the 10mm revolvers!
    I had forgotten! Great option.

DG

Boolit Master
    Have a Sig P239 in shorty fourty. Never had any complaints regarding recoil. Sig no longer makes the P239 in any caliber. Got some extra p239 magazines before Sig discontinued it. It was my first concealed carry gun. still have no desire to sell it. Ran the plate rack twice once and was fun watching those plates fall. Frank

Boolit Master
    I called the shop and they told me it's an Astra R-75. I got off the phone and looked for info on an R-75. He probably meant A-75 - I don't see any info on an R-75.
    I'll check it out later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12