Thread: vise for the new drill

Boolit Grand Master

vise for the new drill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	705699596.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	313928

Vice I picked up for the new drill. Its a LW chuck 8v2 made in Toledo Ohio. Yesterday I made the lifting bracket and started cleaning it. The crud on it was hardened and dry took my needle scaler and cleaned the castings up with it. I pressure washed it ans repeated his a few times today, dried it and gave the castings a light coat of thinned linseed oil. Tomorrow will wipe it down and give it a coat of primer. Then a coat of machine gray paint. Also hoping to get the transformer for the drill in place so the electrician can finish up.

Boolit Master
    If that vice is on top of a 5 gallon pail it is most impressive. Looks to weigh about 100 lbs.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it is on a 5 gallon bucket for now while Im cleaning it. Shipping said 160 lbs

What’s the angle iron, rod, brackets for? I’be seen stops side to side before but that looks to move with the jaw?

Boolit Grand Master

The center plate is at the balance point thats the lifting bracket. Its has a ring that slides over the square and then clamps in the vise so a lift can be used to pick it up. At 160 lbs its more than I an muscle from my wheelchair

Boolit Grand Master

the 2 back mounts are adjustable so I can use it on my kurt vises also.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cool stuff! Right after I “formally”retired and started my second career as an adjunct at the local Community College I discovered that my Biology Class was in the Science, Math and Technology Department which put me close to colleagues who taught Machine Trades… and I could take classes for free! I took a couple of introductory course in the shop, and in one I started making a mill vise. I really need to go back and finish that vise and set it up to use with my little Atlas bench top mill. It should be just right. Now I just need to try and get a round tuit.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

everyone needs a heavy he-man vice..(pun)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Cool stuff! Right after I “formally”retired and started my second career as an adjunct at the local Community College I discovered that my Biology Class was in the Science, Math and Technology Department which put me close to colleagues who taught Machine Trades… and I could take classes for free! I took a couple of introductory course in the shop, and in one I started making a mill vise. I really need to go back and finish that vise and set it up to use with my little Atlas bench top mill. It should be just right. Now I just need to try and get a round tuit.

Froggie
    Attachment 313982 I'll look around I may have a spare.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don’t send it!!! Then I’d no longer have an excuse to delay putting stuff off!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

Froggie
    You better finish that vise or you may get an incomplete and not be able to graduate!

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	314086

Vise cleaned up primed and 2 coats on smoke grey rustoleom paint. Now to clean up over runs and make jaws

Boolit Master

Now that's the real deal! Very nice.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	314086

Vise cleaned up primed and 2 coats on smoke grey rustoleom paint. Now to clean up over runs and make jaws
    Looks great! BTW, what drill press will that be used on? Definitely “industrial” in scope!
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

I picked up an american hole wizard 3' x 9" radial am drill press. There are pics on another post

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	314089

Ought to be able to drill a hole with that. Looks like a fork lift is needed just to move it and it is blocked up for a lift.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Like your vise lift bracket. I'm using a length of chain on my mill vise. Back surgeon recommended I not lift more than 45# to delay surgery #5 . Ran a length of Unistrut along the top of the pole barn ceiling and have a 800# electric winch that runs on two four wheeled trucks inside of the unistrut. Makes hanging deer a breeze as well as lifting the universal dividing head or D6 vise up on the mill. I set it down on a piece of plastic or plywood (look for cheap cutting boards) and them slide them off so theres no chance of the keys on the bottom scaring the table.

Boolit Master
    I had a shaper vise about that size - sold it to a kid who wanted to put it on a Bridgeport VM. I told him not to leave it on either end of the horizontal bed - be afraid it would tip over when he least expects it.

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	314341

Vise finished up now aluminum soft jaws in place. Set them up for flat head screws instead of cap heads it leaves more material under the heads. Filled in the 3 drill point holes with jb weld and finished down. New jaws are a little taller than originals if needed I can cut them down at a later time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast