Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Boolits for the .32 Ideal cartridge? Help!

Boolit Mold

Boolits for the .32 Ideal cartridge? Help!

After being a member here since 2014, I thought it was time to contribute as well as solicit help. I've had this cute little Low Wall in 32 Ideal for more than a year now and am still struggling to make its pristine bore send bullets through paper in small groups. When I bought the rifle, it came with quite a few loaded rounds and a variety of brass cases, all headstamped 32 Ideal. The Peters cases required a unique shell holder that I obtained from CH4D (#3). WRAC brass used Lee #19. I pulled the bullets from several loaded rounds, obviously very old. The cases were filled with compressed black power (now gray) and a bullet with dried lube that miked .318" and weighed 153 grs. I did some reading and most suggestions were for boolits sized at least .321". Using my gorgeous new Arsenal 3-cavity mould for my .32-40 I cast a batch of 160 gr. .322" boolits and assumed I would be squeezing out some tiny 100 yd. groups. To shorten the story, I've tried many smokeless loads, boolits lubed with SPG, and various primers. I've seated boolits at various points. I've been shooting cast boolits for 40 years and have a fair idea of how to tailor good loads in 20+ calibers. But for now, I'm stuck. I'm buying cast commercial boolits and trying them too. The 32 Ideal is playing with me. I'm happy when I get a 2+ inch 100 yd. group on the same day my 1875 Sharps .32-40 is getting 1" with the same boolits. The LowWall has great sights, perfect bore, excellent trigger but still denies me the precision I'm after. Oh well, a new shooting season in Montana is just getting underway. Any thoughts or suggestions from the Cast Boolit gang would be most appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	313914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	313915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	313916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7605.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	313917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2912.jpg 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	313918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2910.jpg 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	313919
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7526.jpg  

Boolit Master

I see where you miked some pulled boolits (.316), and heeded suggestions to use .322 boolits, but did you slug your barrel to actually determine the size you need. Your barrel may be of a larger groove diameter than .322.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Master

As whisler says above. I would check the crown is detail. Next I would weigh the cases or try loading 1 repeatedly. Are you getting concentric seating? Maybe try breach seating a few followed by the same case reloaded.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any idea as to the velocity you are getting from your smokeless loads? Did you try any of the BP loads?

Good Luck,

Robert