Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: removing geese

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I was just thinking about those propane cannons. I wonder how expensive they are. What would neighbors think about it going off all the time?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Seems like the solution is fairly simple - put up raised bird feeders and stop spreading the seed at ground level - some of the seed may be pushed off of a raised feeder but at this point, you're laying out a "buffet dinner" for them with a big "Welcome -Eat For Free" sign on it. You are creating a "slippery slope" - literally so be careful where you step! They can be pesky critters to get rid od - beautiful creatures but a real pain in the petutie.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    contender 1: if you had them crapping all over your lawn; you would not be concerned about what is illegal....
    Actually, I would be VERY concerned about illegal activity.
    Put aside the fact I'd lose my license & livelihood for a few moments.

YOU COULD BE CONVICTED OF A FELONY FOR ILLEGALLY KILLING THE GEESE.

Re-read that,,, FELONY!!!!!!!!

Kiss a lot of your rights goodbye!

And in my case,, I'd also lose my State license to deal with wildlife. There goes my livelihood.

Re-read my suggestions.

Elevate the feed, fix it to where the birds you desire to have enjoy the food and not a bunch on the ground. A $10 (if new,, $1 at Goodwill) pizza pan attached to the bottom of a bird feeder can easily do this.

I help people all the time with animal issues. Non-lethal, and eco-friendly.

And as I said,, we do not need the anti-hunters or anti-gunners seeing us do stuff, OR,, especially posting such stuff on the internet that suggests illegal activity. We are better than that.

To address a propane cannon. Effective,, but also requires the ability to man it on a daily basis to deter the geese when they arrive. Plus,, if you live anywhere that has close neighbors,, be prepared for backlash complaints about noise.

I have had jobs that required me to deal with Canada geese. And I have the respect of my customers, and no neighbors have complained. But we got all the necessary Federal permits and I issued State permits to accompany the Federal permit. All done legally, and effectively.

Boolit Master
    I agree that illegal invaders are treated better than citizens. But we do have wildlife laws to follow as law-abiding citizens, if we wish to keep our freedom & rights.

Many feel the SSS method is good. You may do it, and get away with it. BUT,,,, in this day & age of cameras, nosy neighbors, and especially the open discussion on the internet can easily get you caught. The State of NC where I work & all, told me long ago; "If you do your job as if your work was to be filmed & put on the 6:00 news,, would you be legal & appreciated. Or would you become the subject of an investigation & charges against you?"

The comments about arrows, blow-guns, etc,, where a bird is injured will become BIG news if found by a bleeding heart type. And we all know the media loves such stories. Guess what,, if discovered,, you will face charges. NOT good suggestions.

If you are the type of person who feels that my information is not for you and believe you have every right to do as you please,, then when caught,, you'll have to face the legal repercussions. As the local Game Wardens like to say; "It's not a matter of if we catch you,, it's a matter of WHEN we catch you!"
    My rights, and all are worth more than doing illegal stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Geese, otters, raccoons, squirrels, skunks, etc
    SSS
    Shoot-Shovel-Shutup.
    Why Otters? Honest question. I don't have them around my area.
    Deplorable infidel

Vendor Sponsor

Spray them with Dawn degeeser
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Can you send me a link so I can see what it looks like? Thanks. I was thinking it was one of the old fashioned airgun darts.
    The big darts in the package, not the little one for a size comparison, they are wicked sharp

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Then you run the risk of some worthless bird wandering around for a few days with that thing hanging out of it drawing sympathy. Nope. Bad idea.
    I have killed 20 pound carp with them! Shot to the head and DRT

Petition your local legislator to draft and sign into law a bill declaring bird pooping to be illegal, then charge the birds with the crime. Poop on the other property line, or do the time.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe change your bird viewing preferences? Hummingbird feeders won’t attract geese.
    Going off topic a little, I am generally not in favor of feeding wildlife, but the only time I got to see a wild marten was watching one make his daily visit to a bird feeder.

Vendor Sponsor

I have several customer who use paintball guns to run off Geese. They say it works well
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    You didn’t say how big of an area you have that they are landing onto. I have made life sized cutouts of dogs and put them on a pipe so the can swivel in the wind. It does help but you have to move the religiously. Birds are smart.
    But, as an alternative, fishing line strung low to the ground, 4 inches off the ground or so, in a grid pattern about 12 - 15 inches apart. Drive some stakes to wrap the line around and hold it all taught.
    The geese won’t see it but it will deter them from landing and go elsewhere.
    I seen that used very effectively in outdoor seating restaurant’s on the water to stop seagull from coming in.
    You just have to remember that the line is there on the ground or your going trip. But once detered they should stay away. Then you can remove it.
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

OK....this may sound funny....but.....Powdered Grape Kool-Aide. Sprinkle it on the areas where you don't want them.... and they will leave. They hate Grape Kool-Aide.

The local Golf Course in my old PA town used to buy it in bulk and spread it on their greens.

[EDIT] OK...did a little research...here is the chemical in Grape Kool Aid that keeps the Geese away...you can buy it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY6HW4J

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 05-17-2023 at 06:44 PM. Reason: More info

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Actually, I would be VERY concerned about illegal activity.
    Put aside the fact I'd lose my license & livelihood for a few moments.

YOU COULD BE CONVICTED OF A FELONY FOR ILLEGALLY KILLING THE GEESE.

Re-read that,,, FELONY!!!!!!!!

Kiss a lot of your rights goodbye!

And in my case,, I'd also lose my State license to deal with wildlife. There goes my livelihood.

Re-read my suggestions.

Elevate the feed, fix it to where the birds you desire to have enjoy the food and not a bunch on the ground. A $10 (if new,, $1 at Goodwill) pizza pan attached to the bottom of a bird feeder can easily do this.

I help people all the time with animal issues. Non-lethal, and eco-friendly.

And as I said,, we do not need the anti-hunters or anti-gunners seeing us do stuff, OR,, especially posting such stuff on the internet that suggests illegal activity. We are better than that.

To address a propane cannon. Effective,, but also requires the ability to man it on a daily basis to deter the geese when they arrive. Plus,, if you live anywhere that has close neighbors,, be prepared for backlash complaints about noise.

I have had jobs that required me to deal with Canada geese. And I have the respect of my customers, and no neighbors have complained. But we got all the necessary Federal permits and I issued State permits to accompany the Federal permit. All done legally, and effectively.
    I guess I should run for Congress. Evidently they're immune from felonies.

Meanwhile I'd shoot the damn geese and tell no one.

Boolit Grand Master

Bait an area for them where they wont hurt anything

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

removing geese

Back to Cold Steel blowguns…. They do make a stun dart that has a ball head. No penetration….no dead birds . I have used them on tomcats bullying my own. 1 hit, never returned! Just don’t aim for the head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 05-17-2023 at 11:08 PM.

If you install a Philips screw into the stun-dart then you can break bottles.

4 inch sheet rock screws penetrated 1/2" plywood. Stunned me how much they would go through.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    4 inch sheet rock screws penetrated 1/2" plywood. Stunned me how much they would go through.
    Blow gun has turned into a lot of fun! Carp, gophers, rabbits in the garden... I had a couple mangled broadheads so I ground them down then cast a rubber ball around them for a dog and kitty deterrent... the yelp from a stray dog tells me it hurts. Had some huskies from up the road going after my neighbors chickens so I used it on them. They never stepped in the yard again.

Boolit Master
    just got a delivery today of pretty loud firecrackers. can't wait to try them. will try the grape koolaid. i know all about raising the feeders. just don't care to do that (yet)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast