Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Selier and Beliot 7X57

Boolit Grand Master

Selier and Beliot 7X57

In a recent purchase I had received some S&B 7X57 ammo. Let me say right up front that this is a rarity where I live. NO ONE sells it and there is no one that I know who will ship it to me. I have come across a few rounds of it in the past in 303 British and 243 Win.

The problem is that the 7X57 ammo I received does NOT fit into and of the shellholders that I own. It appears that the extractor groove is not cut deep enough to allow it to fit.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or is it prevelent with this manufacturer?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I had a similar problem with RP 308 ammo. Seems the extractor groove wasn't cut deep enough and causing the bolt to close hard. Measured the brass and some grooves were over sized. Junked that brass. Frank

Boolit Master
    What brand of shell holders are you using? I've had trouble with Hornady shell holders. RCBS shell holders have worked on everything with no problems. Also, a couple of years ago I got some S&B 38 special brass. The case walls on it were thicker than domestic brass, and it gave loaded ammo that "hourglass" look, but otherwise shot fine.

Boolit Master

Yes had the same issue. S&B is made to European standards. not SAMMI. I just found another shell holder that workd.

Boolit Master
    I've got a bunch of S&B 45ACP that has very tight primer pockets but they do fit the shellholder.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried many different shell holders for both my priming tool and different loading dies, none of them fit. I could open up a shell holder to fit the brass but I don't think it would be worth my while.

I'll just keep a close eye on S&B ammo and components and will probably shy away from ANY of it!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I learned anyway to avoid all the S&B for this and other reasons, and the Fiocchi-GFL rifle cases mainly due to the often off-center primer holes, especially the .223_
    GFL pistol & revolver cases are instead good stuff, in my experience_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy
    How about 6.5x55 shell holder or .30-30 - RCBS lists same shellholder for both.

A friend needed RCBS #11 (.220 Swift, 6.5 Japanese) for nny (PPU) 7x57 brass.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Master
    I tried some S&B 7x57 ammo once, over 25 years ago. I still remember it because that was probably the worst ammo I've ever bought. I had the problem of the base being larger than American standard (which I understand because it is Euro spec), but worse was that the brass was so soft that it was basically unreloadable. It grew so much that if you didn't trim it after the first use, it would jam the case mouth in a military throat.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't tried the 220 Swift shellholder. I would also have to get another one for my priming tool or open one up to fit. I don't think it's worth it for 60 pieces of defective brass.

Like I said, I got this in a bundle purchase and it goes bang. Good enough to set-up a scope and then use REAL ammo.