RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Old Army!

Boolit Master

New Ruger Old Army!

Picked this Old Army up for $450 yday and i feel like I got a good deal. Its in great shape no rust and I cant tell that its been fired. It think it has slick shot nipples on it. I'm wanting to shoot conicals in it for hunting. I hear the Kaido(sp) bullets are good but what weight is good for SC deer hunting? Can those bullets be loaded with the cylinder in the frame or do they have to be used by a press? Also I'm looking for a set of Original wood grip that will fit id anyone has some laying around.

Boolit Master
    I am jealous

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    Dandy pistol! I have never shot conicals in mine. Super accurate with round balls and would not be concerned using RB on deer. Original nipples have a hex head which uses a Ruger wrench believe replacements have the more standard traditional head. Half trempted to trade my wood grips for yours but do like the wood. Mine has brass frame and might look odd w white grips. You will love the gun.
    If you are looking for grips similar to those check out Alto Mont: https://www.altamontco.com
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    Dandy pistol! I have never shot conicals in mine. Super accurate with round balls and would not be concerned using RB on deer. Original nipples have a hex head which uses a Ruger wrench believe replacements have the more standard traditional head. Half trempted to trade my wood grips for yours but do like the wood. Mine has brass frame and might look odd w white grips. You will love the gun.
    I tried to get the nipples out this morning but they wouldn't come out- soaking in Kroil now

Boolit Master

That was a Super great deal!!!
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Moderator Emeritus

you stole that one.
    I have a stainless one, the high polish version, the RB works great. I had the Lee 220gr mold and I tried the collar button too, I didn't have luck with either of them in comparison to the RB.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Black Hawk grips are the same

Boolit Grand Master

I love mine and you got a great deal.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Black Hawk grips are the same
    looking for those too

Boolit Buddy
    We've always had the best luck using the .457 round ball. Always loaded on the pistol and never on a stand. Also, a greased wool felt wad under the ball/over the powder was a lot cleaner than using Crisco or other lube over the ball. Have fun with it and shoot it! After market cylinders are available that allows one to shoot other 45 calibers, such as 45 Colt, 45 Scholfield, 45 ACP and a few others. While not fast and furious....it's still a hoot to shoot

Boolit Master

Very nice. Should be a good shooter.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    Let's clear some things up. First I've been shooting mine for over 40 years. Okay, The barrel on them are the same as Ruger put on their 45 Colt's, that is the bore and the groove are the same. They probably made them on the same machines. So you can shoot just about anything out of a 45 Colt and get decent accuracy. With that said the ROA is accuracy with both round balls and conicals. I prefer the 200 grain semi wadcutters meant for 45acp. I've have also shot 255 grain SWC's meant for the 45 Colt with good accuracy. I've used BP, Pyrodex, and Triple Seven. Nowadays I use the 777 because you can let it set a good while with no problems and it's easier then hell to clean the revolver. I'm not going to tell you the velocities I've gotten with the 777 and the 200 SWC's because y'all won't believe it. 777 is pretty potent powder. About the only thing I don't like about it is the bullet has to be pressed down on top of it hard. Same as with using it in muzzle loaders. I've made combustible paper cartridges too. One conical that shoots very well from them is the hollowbase one that Lyman once made specifically for the Remington Army's.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You got it for HALF of market value. Wonderful gun. Kroil will help in getting nipples loose. Once you get them out clean nipple threads in cylinder also with Kroil on pipe cleaner and coat threads with anti-sieze when re-installing them. With anti-sieze don't need to remove frequently, but do so at the end of hunting season and repeat the Kroil and anti-sieze annually.

Lee 200-grain R.E.A.L. is good hunting bullet.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    You got it for HALF of market value. Wonderful gun. Kroil will help in getting nipples loose. Once you get them out clean nipple threads in cylinder also with Kroil on pipe cleaner and coat threads with anti-sieze when re-installing them. With anti-sieze don't need to remove frequently, but do so at the end of hunting season and repeat the Kroil and anti-sieze annually.

What diameter is that LEE? Is it hard to seat?

You can usually look at the front end of the cylinder to see if and how much one has been fired.
    If that one was ever fired, it sure wasn't much.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-10-2023 at 12:03 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Killer deal on that one.

I shoot Dick Dastardly Big Lube bullets in mine pan lubed with my BPCR lube. They work awesome.

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.a...9-68ebfdaba982

Boolit Grand Master

Fantastic snag! I have two one SS and one Blued. You can NEVER go wrong with a ROA!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

Half is what I was thinking too!

Congratulations!

Boolit Master
    Nice acquisition at a very nice price. I like the polymer ivory grips on the blue ROA. Mine is stainless with a set of aftermarket Eagle stag grips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger Old Army BP 44 Cal (2).JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	313868

I use Lee's 220 conical for deer hunting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1130 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	313869

Be advised that the heavier bullets require a taller front sight. Not an issue changing front sights on a Stainless ROA with a pinned front. The blue ones aren't pinned, IIRC

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats! A great deal and a great revolver! I wish Ruger was still making these. Anytime I've ever run across one of these over the years, they have been way overpriced or way over abused. (i.e. - road hard and put away wet - I spotted one at a gun show quite a few yeas ago and the guy had it priced about $200 higher than what nice ones were currently going for - it was a blued model. Looked like it had been buried a couple of years - whoever had used it evidently didn't know that you have to clean 'em.)

Enjoy and have fun - you've got a "keeper" there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast