Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Favorite barrel vise for fixed sight adjustment

Boolit Master

Favorite barrel vise for fixed sight adjustment

I have a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt which the elevation is on at 25 yards with my load of a 300 grain wide flat nose with 13 grains of Hs-6. However it plants them 1 inch to the right. What barrel vice could anyone reccomend that won't break the bank?

Boolit Master
    Since one of my Vaquero's had a similar issue,, yet the barrel was properly clocked,, I chose a different route. I had a gunsmith cut just a small amount off the rear sight channel to open up the rear sight a bit,, making me shift my aim slightly. My gun is stainless, and you can't tell it's been altered slightly. Now,, my windage is correct,, if I do my part.

Smoke the front sight and try it again( if you haven’t). I’m only saying this because the light on the front sight can account for an inch @ 25 yards easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I bought a file to serrate the back of the of the sight. I serrated the verticle flat area of the back of the sight. Where the sight started to round out the serrations ovbiously stopped. From that point I gently filed the sight at a flat angle to the high point of the radius then serrated that also. Surprisingly where the angle starts to the high point nestles perfectly in the rear sight notch so keeping a good sight picture is easy, it just shoots to the right.

Boolit Buddy
    I too have used the mill the rear a tiny bit. You can figure it out mathematically and I would bet not very much at all for 1”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Smoke the front sight and try it again( if you haven’t). I’m only saying this because the light on the front sight can account for an inch @ 25 yards easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True fact for me with iron sights.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know what your barrel length is, but you're only going to need to turn that barrel ~.004, maybe less if you have a longer barrel. It will be cheaper to have your gunsmith do the work than to buy the stuff yourself.

First off, you are going to need a frame wrench: any old vise with appropriate, padded jaws will work to hold the barrel. But turning the frame requires the use of a frame wrench. (For heaven's sake, don't mess with a hickory handle or other improvised tool. That's an invite to a sprung frame.) A frame wrench will run well in excess of 100 bucks. As far as I am aware there only two on the Market, One by Power Custom and one by an Outfit called MGW. I don't care for the MGW inserts. I used Power Custom inserts and made my own wrench from a piece of 1/4" x 1 1/2" flat bar stock and a couple of machine screws when I was re-barreling a couple of S&W gunsmith specials. I and my brother used it for a total of three guns. Worked great.

However, if you don't already have a vice, and if you can't make your own wrench, you are going to be looking at something like 180-200 bucks by the time you buy a wrench, vice and appropriate inserts. A gunsmith shouldn't charge anymore than half that.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.