MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: 357 Magnum Lead HP-SWC?

Boolit Master

357 Magnum Lead HP-SWC?

I have made a practice of using zero jacketed ammunition in my Ruger LCR 357 Magnum. Normally I shoot 38 Special Remington. I want to see if I can handle 357 Magnum version. What I have found so far are a bazillion forms of jacketed and lead-free ammunition, and Cowboy ammunition. Does any ammunition manufacturer make such ammunition?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Yes, Grizzly for example has a 180 gr hunting load at a dollar a shot: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001459569/

There are others; Buffalo Bore at two dollars per shot: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1000772483?pid=946487

Lead-bulleted 357 Magnum ammo was common at one time, but leading caused so many complaints that the big companies mostly dropped it. You can handload cast bullets and if done correctly you can achieve full magnum speed without problems. Hodgdon shows many full-power loads: https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Boolit Master
    The Keith 358429 HP mold and 2400 come to mind. You can also try H110 for full house magnum loads. I tend to like 2400 a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Commercial LHP factory loads, not likely unless you find a custom shop that would load it for you. Yes there are LSWCHP available for reloading.
    https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/g-c...-ammo-box.html
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Now that’s a pretty sight. Personally I use the 357-125-HP for my HP needs in 357mag, but I wouldn’t mind toying with one of those either.

Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

It's a monster with H110

Boolit Master

It's a monster with H110

I believe it! I’m a 2400 man myself. But nobody can doubt a 357 loaded down with a max load of H110!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    I have made a practice of using zero jacketed ammunition in my Ruger LCR 357 Magnum. Normally I shoot 38 Special Remington. I want to see if I can handle 357 Magnum version. What I have found so far are a bazillion forms of jacketed and lead-free ammunition, and Cowboy ammunition. Does any ammunition manufacturer make such ammunition?
    I recently tested some 38 SPL +P+ LSWCHPs from Underwood. They sound like just what you are looking for to try in your Ruger LCR. Check out the test results in post #20 in this thread; https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...%94-158-gr-SWC
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I have the same mold, and loaded round sticks out past the cylinder face of my sp101. Do you find this boolit is overly long or the crimp groove is abnormally far back, or did I just get a lemon?

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    I have the same mold, and loaded round sticks out past the cylinder face of my sp101. Do you find this boolit is overly long or the crimp groove is abnormally far back, or did I just get a lemon?
    This bullet is designed to load in 38 special brass.

I load my spicy ammunition in 38 special brass.

My preference is RP brass and H110.

Boolit Master

Many thanks, guys. . . . "King. This case is closed."
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson