Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Came home with a 1911 A Tisas .45acp, pleasant surpise.

Boolit Master

Came home with a 1911 A Tisas .45acp, pleasant surpise.

I got into a Tisas 1911 .45acp cheap, NIB, for $325. It looks like a std 1911, but it has a lowered and flared ejection port. The trigger broke at 2 3/4#, very nice and crisp. A buddy of mine had one and he shoots it very well, reason I bought this one and the price. The link on the barrel had a rock solid lock up in battery, and the barrel bushing was tight as well. That meant that three of the four things a 1911 needs done to the gun to make them shoot well was already to rock. The other thing that is required is a match grade barrel, and I had seen several reviews on Youtube toting these guns as having one. Also said they need some break in period due to the coating on the parts, Duracoat, not bluing. I shot off of sandbags to start with, @ 18yds. I had a 1 1/2" sticker I put on the target. Lining the sights up at 6 oclock, I gently squezzed off a round, it hit dead center, at the top of the sticker. I put 5 more into the target and was please with a very nice round group, that started at the middle of the sticker and ended about a bullet out on top. I then looked over at the backstop and saw 2 daisies growing there. I said what the heck,and did my best to make a clean trigger pull, and poof, the daisy was gone. I then sighted on the remaining one and Poof, it too disapeared. I was rhonestly shocked, as this was the best I had ever shot a bone stock, out of the box 1911 .45. I then proceeded to shoot nearly as good a 8 shot group as before, but offhand. I ended up putting 40 rounds thru it, with 3 failures to lock all the way up. I found the reason was the duracoat galling on the rails. I polished this off with dremel buffing wheel and some 240 grit buffing compound. Problem solved. Those Turkish guys make a great 1911, just thought I would share this with you all.

Recently, I have been hearing very good things about Tisas 1911 pistols. Glad to hear about yours.

Boolit Master
    CNC machining has really narrowed the gap between a $325 pistol compared to one costing $1,000. Tisas has been impressing the heck out of the 1911 crowd.
    East Tennessee

The folks over at the 1911 Forum seem to be pretty pleased with them. That's saying something. Tough crowd to please.
    Deplorable infidel

My lovely wife gifted me a Tisas
    Tank Commander and my only complaint is that I need to shoot it more.
    Well built guns, I’d buy another one.
    The coating inside the rails jetted the oil out on my glasses for a few shots. I’ll polish mine out like you did,Sam. Send me a picture of yours if you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    And they make one with a 9mm and a 38 super barrel...dang it.

Show us that thing on paper!

Boolit Buddy
    Just picked up a 9mm commander, wish I knew about the 38 super barrel. Haven't shot ot yet but looks nice.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Tisas shortly after Christmas. First 1911 I have ever been around. Never even handled one before so I had no preconceived notions. Took a little time to get acquainted with it, and maybe a little break in time but now I LIKE it. I always wondered what all the fuss was about with a 1911 .45, but now I know. It packs a wallop and is quite accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, same here. My older brother really liked the 1911 in .45, I never knew why. Until one day I was in the LGS I frequent and saw a box of empty/fired brass. Intrigued I looked at one and thought "what kind of cannon uses these?"

Low and behold, a 45 ACP headstamp. Walked right over to the used pieces and picked out the only 1911 .45 they currently had and bought it on the spot. From then on I was hooked. That pistol ended up being turned into my centerfire Bullseye shooter.

And the others, well, they just get shot a lot.

If'n I was in the market for another the Tisas would be right up there. Oh wait, LGS is just down the street (arrg, putting the car keys down).

45_Colt

P.S. heh, that is the same brother that got me into shooting the 45 Colt cartridge...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Tisas are the nicest low cost pistols I've ever seen, we sell bunches of them at my side job. Tisas needs to get into the lever action business.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Congratulations, I hear good things about their shotguns as well.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Dang, you got a deal! I had to pay $329 for mine!

I had to file a little off of the inside tip of the slide lock to stop the noses of hardball rounds from locking the slide back early. Otherwise it's been perfect. It's become my most used 1911.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Tisas are the nicest low cost pistols I've ever seen, we sell bunches of them at my side job. Tisas needs to get into the lever action business.
    I would buy a straight grip 336 copy from them in .360 BuckHammer if they made one.
    Or 30-30 even…..

Boolit Master
    I have two Tisas 1911's.
    Fine firearms.

Boolit Master
    I got one in on a trade at a local gun show. Never shot it. I am mostly into revolvers. Had it at the same local show a few months later. I figured to sell it or put a 22 conversion on it and plink with it. Another dealer had a SIG 22 conversion for the 1911 for $180 after negotiating, and I told him it was in the hands of fate - if the Tisas did not sell shortly, I'd get the conversion. I thought the trigger pull on the Tisas was a bit heavy; so I was kind of relieved when I sold it shortly after that for $330. Never know.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I would buy a straight grip 336 copy from them in .360 BuckHammer if they made one.
    Or 30-30 even…..

Me too!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    And they make one with a 9mm and a 38 super barrel...dang it.

Show us that thing on paper!
    My LGS has been looking for the Regulator (5" barrel) but not in stock. Think he quoted me $670 for that one.

Boolit Master
    I've been tinkering with a Tisas Tanker (Commander-length) in .45 ACP since the end of last year. First thing, they're finished with Cera-cote, rather than Dura-cote. Supposed to be a much more durable finish (unless you use kydex holsters). I bought my gun to use as a test mule and range toy. Here's what I have observed: the small parts (especially pins) are a bit softer than standard. I ordered a 'hard pin' set from 10-8 Performance, but haven't installed them yet as I just returned from having a TKR (total knee replacement), and I'm still hobbling around. The wide-spur hammer bites the web of my hand with every shot. I first ordered a standard (narrow) spur hammer but didn't really like that particular part, and then a 5-piece hammer, sear, disconnector (and springs) set. The original hammer is also a bit softer than optimum, so I splurged on Extreme Engineering parts. Since the original grip safety will not accommodate a commander-style hammer, I modified a spare that I had into a 'rattail' style grip safety. Eventually, I'll install a beavertail grip safety, but that's not a huge priority right now. I removed the factory slide stop and measured the pin diameter, and it ran around .195". That's a bit small, and I had a spare with the proper .200" diameter pin. I installed that, and the lockup of the barrel is noticeably tighter. No problems associated with the new slide stop to date. The gun shoots to point of aim with the GI-style sights, but I'll be replacing them as well. Old, not very good eyes demand something with more visibility. And, I noticed some very minor burrs around the rear edges of the barrel, primarily in the feed ramp area. I deburred that area with a diamond file, then gave it a quick polish with a cratex tip on the Dremel. I believe that I have only experienced 1 or 2 stoppages so far, but that's it. Still not a lot of rounds through the gun (300 or so), but, I like it so far.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I bought one new & the finish was sprayed on things where i dont think they belong i.e. the chamber !
    I had too polish that off before i could load one...it shot fine but it soured me on them...like the flip ati 1911 that i also bought new mushroom the head of the firing pin @ 20 rds....I'm just sick of buying "gun kits"
    i just have a large qty of 45 acp ...bought a hipoint carbine to hose it out of and its flawless.

I have a commander sized Tisas and absolutely love it, a high quality gun that's well made.

I'm hoping to find myself a full sized one, strangely out of three 1911 pistols I don't have a full sized 45...
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast